PDA

View Full Version : Does the GeForce FX really exist?

Pages : [1] 2

silence
02-24-03, 04:45 PM
sorry,but after i read news on front page i had to post this.

mid march??early april??......for how long have we been listening to this??as we reach date on which FX should appear in retail,they set new date,approximatly one more month.......

are there any of those cards anywhere?????..except for 5 that were given for benchmarking.

volt
02-24-03, 04:51 PM
"If they waited this long, they can wait another month or so"

I assume this has to do with ATI releasing R350 soon.

Paul
02-24-03, 04:56 PM
You'd think that when they hit rock, they'd have stopped digging - But no, they just keep on shovellin`.

Perhaps we should lend them a hand... might make this hole digging business a little easier.

sebazve
02-24-03, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by volt
"If they waited this long, they can wait another month or so"

I assume this has to do with ATI releasing R350 soon.

hehehe
so we can all see how their asses are kicked off...:D :p

digitalwanderer
02-24-03, 05:24 PM
Uhm....

...never mind, I'll just be quiet. :)

Hellbinder
02-24-03, 05:30 PM
Guys, Yes the Nv30 esists. And Yes march should be the final bit of delays. Soon you will begin to hear... from down the street.... the little hum comming from inside happy GFFX users homes.

And a General increase in Average World Tempurature ;)

Sorry couldnt help myself... :D

Seriously the First week of march is going to be a very relealing time for everyone. Also, I dont think that the R350 is going to Stomp the Nv30 Ultra into the ground. I think its going to be slightly faster in most cases, with the occasional big win.

Basically reversing what you see in 9700pro V.s GFFX Ultra.

However.. with FSAA+AF... it could get ugly...

For the Nv30 that is...

Skinner
02-24-03, 05:31 PM
Going straight to the nv35 for the high end part would't be a bad idea for nvidia after all???

Vampire
02-24-03, 05:34 PM
3DFX all over again :(

Hellbinder
02-24-03, 05:37 PM
Going straight to the nv35 for the high end part would't be a bad idea for nvidia after all???

Playing the Nv35 card to early.. even if they get the speed crown back... could be a real bad move for Nvidia. They simply have to have something to offer that at least counters the R400 a little bit. It is best for them to wait... Get the absolute MAXIMUM performance they can get out of the Nv35 and release it in the summer. which of course is the current plan.

Otherwise they will Give Ati Way to much lead time to fine tune the R400 into a distructive force of nature.

Or do you really think that Nvidias Board partners, Retailers Will be happy about trying to support 3 seperate Card releases in the same year... meaning that Nvidia would then have to launch yet ANOTHER high end card sometime before christmas. Which is just insane. 6 month cycles are hard enough for distributers and resellers. Let alone a 4 months cycle.

ReDeeMeR
02-24-03, 05:45 PM
lolol it's been pushed back again, what a loser and this isnt good for neither of us, because ATi rulez the preformance market and that makes a huge influence on a value crowd to.

Paul
02-24-03, 05:47 PM
In reality, the R400 should walk over the NV35, since the products were never meant for each other. The NV40 should be competing with the 400, but with the way the schedule has panned out, that job is going to be left to the NV35.

As I see it, things are going to go like this:

March : NV30 released, takes overall speed-crown (overall)
April : R350 released, takes speed-crown by a fair way (more than R300->NV30).
July/August : NV35 released, takes speed-crown by about the same amount.
October(?) : R400 released, beats NV35 by the same amount again.
January 04 (?) : NV40 released, beats R400 by....

and so we carry on. But notice how ATi is regaining pole position a lot quicker than nVidia is, in each generation. That's the problem nV now face having missed a generation.

Skinner
02-24-03, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
Or do you really think that Nvidias Board partners, Retailers Will be happy about trying to support 3 seperate Card releases in the same year... meaning that Nvidia would then have to launch yet ANOTHER high end card sometime before christmas. Which is just insane. 6 month cycles are hard enough for distributers and resellers. Let alone a 4 months cycle.

Maybe, it depends how much chips are already out, but I don't think board retailers are happy with the current FXUltra either compared the R9700.

They gonna loose from the R350 in terms of performance and price.
And if they wait to long they may loose again from the R400.

I know the most sales w'll be made in the midend part, so it haven't be that bad for nv after all if the NV31 and 34 are competitive in value.

sbp
02-24-03, 06:00 PM
Damn man, this is like a videocard version of the movie groundhog day.

Steppy
02-24-03, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Paul
In reality, the R400 should walk over the NV35, since the products were never meant for each other. The NV40 should be competing with the 400, but with the way the schedule has panned out, that job is going to be left to the NV35.

As I see it, things are going to go like this:

March : NV30 released, takes overall speed-crown (overall)
April : R350 released, takes speed-crown by a fair way (more than R300->NV30).
July/August : NV35 released, takes speed-crown by about the same amount.
October(?) : R400 released, beats NV35 by the same amount again.
January 04 (?) : NV40 released, beats R400 by....

and so we carry on. But notice how ATi is regaining pole position a lot quicker than nVidia is, in each generation. That's the problem nV now face having missed a generation. This is also probably a best case scenario for NV, and also show ATI stumbling a bit...I still think july and august is a pretty generous estimate for a product that originally was tabbed for late fall, and R400 in October would mean problems like the 8500(which got pushed back from its early september release to mid october). I figure on R400 hitting about the same time as R300 did. January for Nv40 is probably even optimistic, but since that is quite a ways away they may very well be able to push it up from the typical march/april Nvidia spring release.

silence
02-24-03, 06:09 PM
4 months cycles?.....nvidia hasn't released new card in how much?a year?.....and don't tell me that resellers and others are happy with this >> they all invested in at least marketing + how does this look on those that took preorders?

as i see it.....there is big crowd damn pissed on NV and it's getting bigger with every minute of one after other delay.

sure there are things we don't know,but this is just too much.

and i think investors also love this....i mean they have to:angel2:

Paul
02-24-03, 06:09 PM
The NV40 and R400 dates are rough estimations, based upon when the NV35 and R350 are going to be released. I can't see ATi wanting to replace the 350 too quickly, since that doesn't make financial sense. I guess a lot depends on how much (or if at all) the NV35 beats it by. If the gap is minimal, ATi don't have to rush anything out, and neither do nVidia.

January for the NV40 is pretty optimistic really... it might end up being a year after the retail availabilty of the NV30 (so March 2004), which is going to be more pain for nVidia, since the R450 is going to surely be available around about that time. Although ATi still have to make the move to .13 at some point, which could slow things up for them.

Hellbinder
02-24-03, 06:25 PM
This is also probably a best case scenario for NV, and also show ATI stumbling a bit...I still think july and august is a pretty generous estimate for a product that originally was tabbed for late fall, and R400 in October would mean problems like the 8500(which got pushed back from its early september release to mid october). I figure on R400 hitting about the same time as R300 did. January for Nv40 is probably even optimistic, but since that is quite a ways away they may very well be able to push it up from the typical march/april Nvidia spring release.

Exactly,

The R400 has been slated for an August intoduction for a full year now. Further the R300 was launched in AUGUST also last year. Remember the 8500 was made and released before the Full intergration of the ArtX design Studio. their infuence and affect on all of ATI can be seen starting last year.

Nv40 was slated for Springish 2004 at the earliest. But we will see what Nvidia Tries to do with that.

It still would have Nvidia suddenly putting a *Rush* to finish on their entire Chip layout for the next 2 years. Starting with the Nv35 getting bumped up 5 months. I jsut dont think any company is going to be successful if they start Driving all their teams lith Whips and chains.

What Nvidia needs to do, is just accept things as *Currently* they are. Not Panic about losing market share. There is Room at the top for Two. Take their time and Finish the Nv35 properly. Also base their budget cards on scaled down versions of the Nv35. Becuase frankly Nv31/34 SUCK. Most of their cash comes from the budget/mainstream. They absolutly HAVE to get it right this time. AS it is now their GF4 MX's Are really Hurting all the people that they sold them to. People who did not understand the fine print, or the fact that GF4 Mx's are not True DX8 cards. Now they are angry at Futuremark becuase their precious MX card wont run any Pixel Shader tests.... (oops a little rant slipped out)

Anyway back on topic. As i was saying take their Time Release the absolute best Nv35 and mainstream cards based on it that Nvidia possibly can. If they are competative with the Rv350 cards then Nvidia will sell a lot and be ok. Becuase Currently The Nv31/34 are going to get a serious ass whipping from the Rv350 cards.

Even though the Nv35 will lose to the R400. Nvidia can price it down and sell a ton as midrange cards or something.. then just ride the wave.. JUST like ATi did through the GF4/8500 days... and Next year release a Kick ass killer Nv40 that Reestablishes them as the leader, or at least in a Tie. If they really went all out i think they could reestablish themselves as leader. They have the cash to do it.

If they dont do what im suggesting.. and Rush the hell out of eveything in the current blind panic they seem to be in, and continue these foolish PR attacks on everything putting an obsical in their way...

I have no doubt they will slowly go the Way of 3dfx. And eventually Fade, far from the heights they once had.

digitalwanderer
02-24-03, 06:31 PM
Yeah, but...

...no, I better still not. :)

sebazve
02-24-03, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Yeah, but...

...no, I better still not. :)

let it go...:D

Kruno
02-24-03, 07:08 PM
What's up with the delays?

digitalwanderer
02-24-03, 07:20 PM
Easy, it doesn't exist. :)

("In before the merge/lock!") ;)

Captain Beige
02-24-03, 07:21 PM
does GF FX exsist?

it must exist, it won the award for best GPU 2002 !!! :rolleyes:

Lezmaka
02-24-03, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
The R400 has been slated for an August intoduction for a full year now. Further the R300 was launched in AUGUST also last year.

Maybe you can explain something for me...

nvidia can't handle a 4month cycle (which I don't doubt right now, lol), but ATI can (which I don't really doubt either, lol)?

Lemme see if I have this right...

You say the same thing is planned for R400 as R300. All this is just going by the R300 timetable... announced in middle July, available about a month later, middle of August. Now, R350 is planned to be announced in like a week, beginning of March, and unless something has changed and they are going for immediate availability, R350 will be available a month later, beginning of April. So that would mean about 4 (5 if they announce R400 at the end of July) months between announce/availability of R350 and R400.

nutball
02-24-03, 07:28 PM
Oiicchh, I mean who cares? Really?

The rate things are going we'll be coming out the other end of a nuclear war come Q4'03.

NVIDIA? ATI? 3DFX? Where are Cirrus Logic now? Where will NVIDIA'ATI/3DFX be in a couple of years?

Kruno
02-24-03, 07:29 PM
I have not seen any threads about the new delay. :)

Seriously, this is become like the Voodoo 5 launch. :|

Oh crap, ca na mod please merger this with the topic I have never seen before. Thanks