PDA

View Full Version : What the Heck is going on?@?@?@?@

test4echo
11-05-06, 10:01 AM
Alright, here's the scoop:

WinXP Home Edition.
A folder I had in my "My Docs" system folder mysteriously disappears.
Thought I may have deleted it by accident but the folder was huge so I would remember deleting it from the lenght of time it would take to delete it.
I would would also remember if I ahad been prompted to not send to bin because folder was to large, i was not.

So, I Used Recover my My Files to search either for the folder or individual pics.
Did a complete format recover and it found nothing about that folder.
It found stuff dating back 2 years ago, most of it recoverable but nothing relating to the folder that went missing yesterday.

I'm thinking that somehow a registry pointer to that folder was removed by some ad aware or System Mechanic cleaning.
So I checked that and did an "Undo changes" for those programs.
Nothing.........

This thing has disappeared and I don't know why or where it went?

Any idea's fellas????? I really need that folder back, it had hundreds of family pics in it.

Thanks,

einstein_314
11-05-06, 01:27 PM
Wow...that's terrible. Umm, not sure what to suggest or what could have caused that. If the recovery software can't find it...I don't know what could. Maybe you have some sort of a virus? Weird.

rewt
11-05-06, 02:03 PM
I'm thinking that somehow a registry pointer to that folder was removed.

That's not how files are stored. If the pointer to the folder is gone, then that has to do with the hard drive itself, not the Windows registry. Pointers are stored on the hard disk, in the Master File Table (MFT).

This is where Spinrite (http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm) may be able to help. Spinrite recovers data from a hard drive at the lowest level. No other software I know of can do this.

It is $89, with no trial, but Steve says if it doesn't work he'll gladly refund your money.

P.S. - STOP USING THE HARD DISK IMMEDIATELY!! Whenever you encounter important data loss, you'll have much better chance of recovering it if you do not write to the disk. This includes booting up Windows from it. You should boot from another hard disk or CD until your important data is recovered!

madlynluvwithu
11-06-06, 12:57 PM
Well Hello There Test.

I can only say this. You are doing everything you can to get our pictures back. I know it is driving you crazy because our last 16 months of history of pictures together are gone. You somehow found some, but not all. Knowing the man you are, you will not give up until your done getting them back. For that I love you. If you guys on here are reading this that is ok, I just wanted to post my baby a message saying he is TERRIFIC......ALWAYS, YOUR BUTTERFLY. XOXO

:kiss: :hug:

evilghost
11-06-06, 01:04 PM
Run a chkdsk on it as well, could be the MFT is pissy and you lost the record for that folder.

einstein_314
11-06-06, 03:27 PM
Well Hello There Test.

I can only say this. You are doing everything you can to get our pictures back. I know it is driving you crazy because our last 16 months of history of pictures together are gone. You somehow found some, but not all. Knowing the man you are, you will not give up until your done getting them back. For that I love you. If you guys on here are reading this that is ok, I just wanted to post my baby a message saying he is TERRIFIC......ALWAYS, YOUR BUTTERFLY. XOXO

:kiss: :hug:
:wtf: :rofl

evilghost
11-06-06, 03:34 PM
If it were my wife posting I'd likely get flamed for not backing up critical information housed on a mechanical device known to fail. :)

mullet
11-06-06, 04:38 PM
LMFAOOOOOOOOo.

Bearclaw
11-06-06, 05:25 PM
That is so sweet.

BTW, Notice how Jakup's girl never does anything like that? Maybe he has been posting as her all this tme and he doesn't even have a girlfriend?!?!?

crainger
11-06-06, 09:36 PM
That is so sweet.

BTW, Notice how Jakup's girl never does anything like that? Maybe he has been posting as her all this tme and he doesn't even have a girlfriend?!?!?

Turns out she was just rendered on a G80.

einstein_314
11-06-06, 09:46 PM
If it were my wife posting I'd likely get flamed for not backing up critical information housed on a mechanical device known to fail. :)
:rofl Yeah, I backup all my important stuff every couple of days. I can't imagine what I would do if I lost it.

brady
11-06-06, 10:10 PM
Turns out she was just rendered on a G80.

HAHA! Unless she's teh bigman!

einstein_314
11-06-06, 10:31 PM
:rofl You might be onto something!!

nekrosoft13
11-07-06, 12:10 AM

WTF is this bigman i been hearing about

einstein_314
11-07-06, 12:36 AM
WTF is this bigman i been hearing about
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78276&highlight=bigman

Check out this poll that was done a while ago. It has links to the highlights of Teh Bigman. He was a ..... character to say the least.

Stoneyguy
11-07-06, 06:17 AM
what was the exact path to the folder?

nekrosoft13
11-07-06, 06:55 AM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78276&highlight=bigman

Check out this poll that was done a while ago. It has links to the highlights of Teh Bigman. He was a ..... character to say the least.

haha, oh yeah i remmeber now