PDA

View Full Version : Medieval2 total war ->GOld

Nv40
11-06-06, 03:17 PM
THe game is ready for Nov 14 release.. dont miss this one if you are an RTS fan. Some screenshots..

http://ve3dboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=25518778

THe game is the closest thing to recreate historical epic scale medievals battles..

For the new people ,you can try the single player (gold demo) with 3 recreated historical battles. or watch game movies.

http://www.gamershell.com/search/index.html?q=Medieval+2&x=0&y=0

thrawniejoe
11-06-06, 05:13 PM
Im really looking forward to this game. I loved Rome Total War and played the crap out of that. (nana2)

nVidi0t
11-06-06, 05:39 PM
Yep, picking mine up on the 12th.

FCGD
11-06-06, 06:45 PM
you said RTS? it looks like civ 4 to me, which i loved very much, but that was turn based. how does this series compare to civilation series?

Subtestube
11-06-06, 06:57 PM
It's very different to Civ... it's hybrid - the meta-game is kind of civ-ish. It's a Turn Based Strategy in which you start with territories and expand (unless they've changed something dramatically it doesn't have the fluid borders of Civ). The sub game is the RTS, in which you have direct control of battles. Personally, I loved Rome (and am also a huge Civ player), and will be buying this as well.. though possibly after November 20th - payday ;).

Nv40
11-06-06, 10:26 PM
you said RTS? it looks like civ 4 to me, which i loved very much, but that was turn based. how does this series compare to civilation series?

Well ...as a matter of fact i knew of civilization players playing previous rome total war game in a 'civilisized' way. hehe You can autoresolve all the naval and land battles ,if you want and play the game entirely in the strategy map ,and dedicate only to build cities in your lands and raise its economy ,using diplomacy to avoid war and leave the battles for the automatic AI.

TOtal WAr games have a big MOd community , there are Mods (from rome total) based on medieval ,NApoleonic ,japan ,alexanders and many other times all the way to fantasy games.. (lord of the rings) there are also mods like 'Europa barbarum' that one of its main goal is to use the game to teach history in real classroom with real PH.professors backing up the project. the game engine was popular for being used by the history channel to recreate famous battles.

Many RTW projects will be ported to the new MEdieval2 game ,there are already mods on the released demo, more info at this site..

http://twcenter.net/

avesta
11-07-06, 08:02 PM
This game will be jaw dropping judging by the videos and the prequel rome total war.

SignorSalad
11-07-06, 10:44 PM

Think of it as Civilization+. You play the turn based strategy map just like Civ, and its just as deep as Civ, but there's the added bonus of being able to zoom down into the map to fight your individual battles in 3d real time if you choose to do so. All the units you brought to the fight in the turn based portion of it are available to you when you fight your RTS battle.

There's nothing like the coolness of laying siege to a city with a giant force, including heavy onagers and siege towers and sap points and battering rams. Or equally as cool: defending your city with epic walls with just a few outnumbered, but veteran squads who just chew up the poor inexperienced meat bottlenecked on the wall coming out of their siege tower.

Rome was my first experience with the Total War series. If I had to describe it in 2 words, it would be Sheer Brilliance.

Subtestube
11-07-06, 11:21 PM
Think of it as Civilization+. You play the turn based strategy map just like Civ, and its just as deep as Civ, but there's the added bonus of being able to zoom down into the map to fight your individual battles in 3d real time if you choose to do so.

It's worth nothing that the depth of the Total War games on the strat map is very different to the depth in Civ. Where you're very focussed on resource management, border expansion and tech advancement in Civ, you're much more looking at population control, city improvement as a _very_ central focus, and military distribution in Total War. My person preference in terms of long term replayability is still Civ, but I _love_ Total War too, and I wholeheartedly recommend the TW games to Civ fans.

avesta
11-08-06, 11:31 AM
Civ is a piece of crap compared to Total War. In total war you get to see the exact outcome of your actions and your men getting slain due to your mistakes, all in brilliant 3D. It has a whole new element of real time and there's just nothing more fun than making a last stand with a group of experienced soldiers under your best general's command. The sieges also had a whole new element of strategy.

Subtestube
11-08-06, 01:41 PM
Civ is a piece of crap compared to Total War. In total war you get to see the exact outcome of your actions and your men getting slain due to your mistakes, all in brilliant 3D. It has a whole new element of real time and there's just nothing more fun than making a last stand with a group of experienced soldiers under your best general's command. The sieges also had a whole new element of strategy.

That's absurd - they're totally different games. Civ isn't about the battles at all. The military game in civ is about balance and management of troop positions. Even though the actual usage of military units in Total War is more highly developed than in Civ, that's because of the RTS element, which just isn't part of Civ (and nor should it be!). The meta-game of Total War and Civ itself are comparable, but it misses the point of Civ totally to compare the battles in TW with Civ itself.

Don't get me wrong - I love Total War and Civ, and after I got Rome I completely fell for the Total war games - saying that I genuinely preferred Total War. The big problem for me is that as time's gone by, I find it easier to sit down and just play a game of Civ than R:TW - I'm in no way saying that TW is a worse game, I just don't feel as compelled to come back to it months later.

That's all I'll say about that - I'm not interested in getting into an argument over this, but I did want to at least defend Civ when it's attacked as being crap!

avesta
11-09-06, 04:38 AM
haha I used to be the biggest civ fan in the world, but it's so boring to me now because there's no real time element to it.

Nv40
11-11-06, 02:19 AM
a new kick ass video... Battle tactics !!!!!! :drooling:

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/9809/Medieval+II:+Total+War+Battlefield+Tactics+Movie