PDA

View Full Version : ? about DL DVD's

Shamrock
11-06-06, 11:38 PM
Can DL DVD's (used ONLY for data) be read by regular DVD-ROM's?

Example:
I have an NEC DL drive (and a special on DL media), and wondering if my Sony DVD ROM can read those discs, in case my DVD DL drive kicks the bucket.

Thanks

superklye
11-06-06, 11:41 PM
Yeah, why wouldn't it be able to? It can read dual-layer movies, can't it?

J-Mag
11-07-06, 12:09 AM
Sometimes older dvd-roms won't read a burned disk peroid, so it really depends on how ancient the Sony is. Also I have seen some weird media compatbility problems, but that is pretty rare these days. Seriously, can it be that hard to burn one and try it out? Or are you concerned about wasting money on media?

Bman212121
11-07-06, 12:55 AM
I can second what Jmag stated. Most likely it won't have any problems, but I have had weird issues with dvd's being burned. Most of the time they will work, but every now and then I'll get a disc that only plays in some players, even if other discs were burned from the same media. My plextor has been pretty good, but it was my old buslink that would have 1 or 2 slip through that would only work in certain drives.

Just make sure you have the latest firmware and you should be fine. Like superklye said, if you can throw in a movie it can read DL discs, or you can even try putting in a PS2 disc as some of those are DL as well.

Shamrock
11-07-06, 04:46 AM
Well, I havent bought the media yet. I have a coupon to get $10 off a 20pk of Verbatim 10x DVD+DL :) SO i was asking before I bought it.

Thanks!

nekrosoft13
11-07-06, 08:05 AM
Well, I havent bought the media yet. I have a coupon to get $10 off a 20pk of Verbatim 10x DVD+DL :) SO i was asking before I bought it.

Thanks!

just so you know verbatim is the only good available DL media. everything rest (sony, tdk, memorex, fuji) is most ritek or cmc.

booktypes

0000 DVD-ROM
0001 DVD-RAM
0010 DVD-R, DVD-R DL
0011 DVD-RW
1001 DVD+RW
1010 DVD+R
1101 DVD+RW DL
1110 DVD+R DL

like most said, some older drives will not read burned disc

DataMatrix
11-07-06, 12:53 PM
Even if your drive doesn't burn Dual-Layer it will be able to read it.

Rakeesh
11-07-06, 02:47 PM
There is little difference between a dual layer movie DVD and a dual layer data DVD. The biggest difference is that movie DVDs tend to be encrypted, but eventually the data has to be read in the same manner anyways. The only other possible difference is that with a data DVD you may use the ISO9660 filesystem instead of the UDF filesystem, but its more common to use UDF these days.

Either way though, unless your DVD drive is somehow incapable of playing movie DVD's, it should easily be able to read dual layer data DVD's.

Shamrock
11-07-06, 10:34 PM
I bought both drives at the same time, back about 18 months ago.