PDA

View Full Version : Duo core help please

DJMONDY
11-07-06, 09:22 AM
My mate has just had a new laptop and it has a duo core 2gig processor in it.

He's just mentioned that its not performing as good as his old laptop in games which had a p4 3.4 processor in it.

Im not 100% sure how these chips work but am i right in saying that the new processor is only running at 2gig unless the game has the option for duo core?? if so is there a way to have the two running as if they were one chip so in a sense making it a 4gig machine??

He's really gutted as he has solt his old machine!!

Many thanks in advance

Oh and its a dell inspiron 9400 with the ati x1400 card 1gig of ram and as mentioned the duo core 2 gig processor.

dsessom
11-07-06, 09:30 AM
Well, there are several things it could be. Yes, the slower clock speed may have some effect, but generally the Core2 Duo outperforms single core P4's at any speed.
What game is he playing? Are all of the hardware drivers properly installed?
You may also want to try different graphics drivers too.

DJMONDY
11-07-06, 09:51 AM
Will try different drivers mate thanks :)

The game is a space flight sim...X3 i think. its quite demanding isnt it!

What about oblivion that should run quite nice on it shouldnt it??

Thanks again

CaptNKILL
11-07-06, 10:38 AM
What kind of graphics card did his old laptop have? An x1400 isnt too hot for recent games. The CPU will have very little effect on performance with a video card like that.

DJMONDY
11-07-06, 12:33 PM
His old one was a ati 9800 256mb.

Tbh i thought his new one was a cracking card but im not very good with ati stuff, dont really keep up with them.

Its strange though as it claims to be a 256 sli card but on the info pages its a 128 that can be a 256mb card if youve got enough system ram for it to pinch. i think its all down to these power saving chips that are coming out.

Personally i prefer a desktop with p4 which is what it says it is. and the same with my gpu!!