PDA

View Full Version : Gateway 3700+

glennalan
11-07-06, 08:09 PM
Does anyone know if I can change my 2.2ghz to an Fx-55 or 57? Would I just change the cpu chip and set the BIOS to default and then the new cpu would be recognized?
Thanks!

Bearclaw
11-07-06, 09:05 PM
As far as I know you can take a CPU out and just put a different one in without too much trouble. Flashing the BIOS will probably help it and as logn as the CPU is the same socket as your older one. Make sure on that or else it won't work.

glennalan
11-08-06, 06:29 PM
Yes they are socket 939. I'm curious if any posters have made this type of upgrade themselves without buying a new mobo? Just using stock bios and
mobo like the gateway. Will the stock mobo recognize new hardware and make the adjustments? I think they both are 1.35v though there must be a different multiplyer that my bios doesn't offer to change.
When I first considered this I was going to get the fx-55 and change the multiplyer by 1 to go from 2.6ghz to 2.8ghz. I thought I could just use a utility like cpu-z to do that, but that is done through the bios unless someone can show me differently. If not I may get a fx-57 if the prices become really low. The fx-55 had gone from $800+ to $2oo. up the multiplyer by 1 to get 2.8ghz ...thats a pretty good bargain.

Bearclaw
11-08-06, 09:09 PM
Yes they are socket 939. I'm curious if any posters have made this type of upgrade themselves without buying a new mobo? Just using stock bios and
mobo like the gateway. Will the stock mobo recognize new hardware and make the adjustments? I think they both are 1.35v though there must be a different multiplyer that my bios doesn't offer to change.
When I first considered this I was going to get the fx-55 and change the multiplyer by 1 to go from 2.6ghz to 2.8ghz. I thought I could just use a utility like cpu-z to do that, but that is done through the bios unless someone can show me differently. If not I may get a fx-57 if the prices become really low. The fx-55 had gone from $800+ to $2oo. up the multiplyer by 1 to get 2.8ghz ...thats a pretty good bargain.
You should be fine with taking one out and putting another in. If it for some reason does not work then flash the BIOS.