PDA

View Full Version : Quad core vs SLI?

Lazaredz
11-08-06, 04:45 PM
If you had to choose between 8800GTX in SLI and a Kent Quad Core, which would you take and why?

I'm personally leaning more towards the Quad right now as a single 8800GTX seems MORE than capable at handling anything thrown at it. The HL2 EP2 multithread numbers over at anandtech also gave me a nice push in that direction.

Anyone else? Where is the extra $600 best spent right now and in the immediate future (3-6 months).

Bearclaw
11-08-06, 05:27 PM
Quad Core....but arent they all more than 600 bucks? I thought they would be super expensive around 1000 bucks.

Lazaredz
11-08-06, 05:44 PM
They are, I was talking about the additional $600 over a Conroe 6700 OR the additional $600 for a second 8800GTX.

Bearclaw
11-08-06, 05:46 PM
They are, I was talking about the additional $600 over a Conroe 6700 OR the additional $600 for a second 8800GTX.
I see, well I know Alan wake is going to take advantage of quad core..I would get it just for that...:o

J-Mag
11-08-06, 05:53 PM
For Gaming Quad Core is useless right now. I don't know why people keep blabbing on about Alan Wake. The game wont be out for probably over a year. I have seen no real time demos (frame rate is deceiving in vids). If you think that the 7900gtx was enough because that's what intel claimed the demo was run on, you will be in for a shock when the game is released. You can't replace GPU horsepower with additional CPU cores.

Bearclaw
11-08-06, 06:08 PM
For Gaming Quad Core is useless right now. I don't know why people keep blabbing on about Alan Wake. The game wont be out for probably over a year. I have seen no real time demos (frame rate is deceiving in vids). If you think that the 7900gtx was enough because that's what intel claimed the demo was run on, you will be in for a shock when the game is released. You can't replace GPU horsepower with additional CPU cores.
That'sa good point.

J-Mag
11-08-06, 06:14 PM
Maybe, just maybe, we will see some benefit in Supreme Commander with Quad Core.

However, one must remember that if your GPU(s) can't keep up with the visual settings you selected, it really doesn't matter how fast of a CPU you have.

Lazaredz
11-08-06, 06:28 PM
I hear what you are saying J-Mag but have you seen this (http://anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2868&p=9)? If other games are coming out with this kind of updates/right out of the box, does that still make a second 8800GTX the better choice?

J-Mag
11-08-06, 06:35 PM
Yeah I saw the various Valve multithreaded marketing commercials that appeared on the net. However, wtf do those graphs represent? Not much really.

Particle Simulation is just that, a simulation. Do you think that CS:S will add in new particle effects? I don't remember seeing any comments about new effects in older source games.

Map Compilation? You have go to be kidding. Who the hell cares except for developers?

Essentially, these benches are also worthless beacuse they tell us nothing as to how games will work. All these tell us is that Quad Core CPUs are better at parallel processing, which should be obvious.

Also, I don't see Valve alienating their fan base. There needs to be more market penetration of muli-core systems before they are adopted by developers as a requirement.

Bearclaw
11-08-06, 07:32 PM
Maybe, just maybe, we will see some benefit in Supreme Commander with Quad Core.

However, one must remember that if your GPU(s) can't keep up with the visual settings you selected, it really doesn't matter how fast of a CPU you have.
True. I would go for SLI now that I think about it. Although, saying you have qaud core would be impressive.....at leats for a month or 2 before something new comes out..