PDA

View Full Version : Anything wrong with ordering the PNY version?

Pages : [1] 2

Dulak
11-08-06, 04:27 PM
I see the PNY version is 50$ cheaper.

(I've never owned a NVDA card so I dont know the difference between the brands ...)

OWA
11-08-06, 04:28 PM
A lot of people don't like PNY but having said that, I've had several of their cards and never had a problem with them. The most popular Nvidia cards are probably BFG and EVGA.

Edit: EVGA also has a step-up program that is worth looking into.

Dulak
11-08-06, 04:30 PM
hmmm well I'm tempted obviously for the 50$; looks to have the same cooler on there etc ... so maybe its just their packaging etc?

OWA
11-08-06, 04:34 PM
Yeah, they're basically all the same card this time around. There are some differences though. Support might not be the same and some (e.g. ASUS) bundle a bunch of other software with theirs, some are bundling a game, some provide t-shirts, etc.. evga has a step-up program that I mentioned in my edited post above. See this link for an example of someone that is happy with that. :)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79819

Bearclaw
11-08-06, 04:37 PM
Go with evga. They are worth it in the long run.

Redeemed
11-08-06, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I was so close to ordering that PNY... but in the end I went for the eVGA at Newegg.

I have ordered through Newegg more times than I could count almost, and each time I've been pleased. That is why I chose to give them my $500+ this time around. ;)

Bearclaw
11-08-06, 04:40 PM
Yeah, I was so close to ordering that PNY... but in the end I went for the eVGA at Newegg.

I have ordered through Newegg more times than I could count almost, and each time I've been pleased. That is why I chose to give them my $500+ this time around. ;)
Ya, newegg is a great business. They are the only guys I order form.

SH0DAN
11-08-06, 04:57 PM
hmmm well I'm tempted obviously for the 50$; looks to have the same cooler on there etc ... so maybe its just their packaging etc?

PNY are HORRIBLE with RMA's and support !!! :thumbdwn:

mike686
11-08-06, 04:59 PM
PNY is PN-gay.

anticitizenzero
11-08-06, 05:01 PM
If you think about it your kinda getting a similar deal with Evga, because you get a 50$ game with the card as well.

Redeemed
11-08-06, 05:01 PM
PNY are HORRIBLE with RMA's and support !!! :thumbdwn:

PNY is PN-gay.

I'm starting to feel better about my eVGA. :D

The last (and first) eVGA I purchased was their 6800GS CO. And it would always overheat, to the point of artifacting. So, I dropped it to 350 core, 1GHz mem, and enabled the four locked pipes. Ran perfectly fine after that. :D

Bearclaw
11-08-06, 05:04 PM
I'm starting to feel better about my eVGA. :D

The last (and first) eVGA I purchased was their 6800GS CO. And it would always overheat, to the point of artifacting. So, I dropped it to 350 core, 1GHz mem, and enabled the four locked pipes. Ran perfectly fine after that. :D
Ya, EVGA FTW.

SH0DAN
11-08-06, 05:12 PM
I bought two PNY TI4400's on launch day for 479.99 CDN each,and both died soon after purchase(8 months for #1,and the 11 month mark for #2)PNY refused to fix things up after mistakenly shipping me one 64mb 440MX as a replacement for number one,and a DOA RMA TI4400 for number #2 !!!! And they insisted on billing my CC ahead of time,both times on cross shipping even though they knew of the hassles I went through because of their mistakes and stupidity! They claimed I was lying and was shipped a TI4400 for replacement of the first dead card !,I could go on,but I think any sane person should have the picture well in hand by now. :thumbdwn:

Back then my user name on here was 'Glottis',I had a 1.6A oc'd 2.68Ghz...

OWA
11-08-06, 05:14 PM
I've had several PNY cards but I admit, I've never had to use their support or RMA process so I wouldn't know about that.

Edit: Basically, the only reason I've stopped getting them is b/c the stores around here don't seem to carry the high-end cards anymore. For years, I bought stuff locally and most of the places carried PNY but those days appear over.

Bearclaw
11-08-06, 05:16 PM
I'm just gonna keep saying this throughout the thread.

EVGA FTW.

mike686
11-08-06, 05:47 PM
I pee pee on PNY.

Blacklash
11-08-06, 05:59 PM
I'd get the EVGA for step-up. Another version you may like better could hit within 90 days.

Tygerwoody
11-08-06, 06:50 PM
PLEASE GOD SOMEONE TEACH THIS POOR SOUL!

PNY is a scam artist of a company. If you buy from them you WILL PAY. Lets say you spend $600 on a brand spanking new PNY 8800 GTX. Boy you are happy right? A year goes by, you 8800GTX breaks. Lifetime warranty will cover it right? WRONG PNY has a loophole of a lifetime warranty. Within 6 months of the card being sold, its out of warranty. IF you aren't that bright of a person, you will buy from PNY and save your little 50 bucks. If you are bright, you will listen to what i say and stay far far away from them.

DO NOT BUY PNY. Do a search on "DO NOT BUY PNY". You will see hundreds of threads on this very forum.

CaptNKILL
11-08-06, 06:58 PM
PLEASE GOD SOMEONE TEACH THIS POOR SOUL!

PNY is a scam artist of a company. If you buy from them you WILL PAY. Lets say you spend $600 on a brand spanking new PNY 8800 GTX. Boy you are happy right? A year goes by, you 8800GTX breaks. Lifetime warranty will cover it right? WRONG PNY has a loophole of a lifetime warranty. Within 6 months of the card being sold, its out of warranty. IF you aren't that bright of a person, you will buy from PNY and save your little 50 bucks. If you are bright, you will listen to what i say and stay far far away from them.

DO NOT BUY PNY. Do a search on "DO NOT BUY PNY". You will see hundreds of threads on this very forum.
It says it has a 3 year warranty plus 2 additional years if you register the card online.

I don't think they pull the "lifetime of the card" warranty thing any more.

Still, I have serious doubts that their service is anywhere near as good evga.

stncttr908
11-08-06, 07:02 PM
My roommate's PNY 6800GT AGP is still going strong.

Tygerwoody
11-08-06, 07:03 PM
PNY is the only company that I hope all their employee's die in a fire... it is a satanic company run by the devil and his children....

Tygerwoody
11-08-06, 07:03 PM
My roommate's PNY 6800GT AGP is still going strong.
the whole point is IF it dies, your roomate is just out a card. If say he bought from BFG, he would get a replacement card for life.

Mr_LoL
11-08-06, 07:08 PM
My Pny 7900gtx is going strong as well. I hope it doesnt die.

weeds
11-08-06, 07:19 PM
Im with OWA, Ive owned several PNY cards also and never had one fail. I did have a GF4400 I lent to a friend who was carless enough to set in on his suede like couch and killed it with static electricity. PNY wasnt produceing this card anymore but I RMA'd anyway. Two weeks after PNY recieving it a package arrived from PNY, inside was a FX5900NU. Not a xt but a NU clocked at 400/850. I flashed it with 5950U bios and its been running like this for 3 years. Strange that a company that makes such horrible cards would be the only one who produces uber expensive Quadros...:rolleyes: Over the last 2 to 3 years Ive seen more threads about people who have to RMA BFG, XFX and EVGA cards than people with bad PNY's.. Anyway with all that said I would still recommend EVGA for a little more money as thier product support is the best in the business.

Bearclaw
11-08-06, 07:20 PM
EVGA FTW