PDA

View Full Version : Image sharpening slider fw 97.02 and 8800GTX

Skinner
11-09-06, 07:26 AM
Finally installed this beauty but I wonder if it's normal that I cann't move/enable the image sharpening slider in the new CP? It's there but it's just grey and stuck.

Please tell me how to fix this because I like a little sharpening as junk loves crack.
Could some of you guys take a look if you have it also?

Edit, could somebody tell how I get the old CP back then, maybe that works :)

En I mean 97.02 ;)

Smokey
11-09-06, 02:02 PM
Does your monitor not have a sharping feature? no need to do it via driver if your monitor can.

Skinner
11-09-06, 02:59 PM
Does your monitor not have a sharping feature? no need to do it via driver if your monitor can.

Not that I'm aware of.

I really mis this, it gives a lot more detail to certain textures without much aliasing or perf hit...

mad_man
11-09-06, 08:07 PM
Sharpening degrades the picture anyway. That ringing effect is annoying. I can't understand why anyone would use it.

SLippe
11-09-06, 09:25 PM
En I mean 97.02 ;)
Fixed.

Skinner
11-10-06, 05:59 AM
Sharpening degrades the picture anyway. That ringing effect is annoying. I can't understand why anyone would use it.

I only use it in 3d, it gives washed out texturers contrast and detail.

Henno
12-04-06, 08:11 PM
Looks like it won't come back. Since when is Nvidia dropping features with a new generation of cards? :thumbdwn:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=885996&postcount=13

Unstable_Hero
12-05-06, 01:25 AM
You can use nvtray to unlock the old control panel.

Henno
12-05-06, 09:51 AM
You can use nvtray to unlock the old control panel.

Image sharpening is also available in the new CP, that is not the point. But the slider is greyed out if you have a GF8 card.
Unbelievable what a bummer. :(

NoWayDude
12-05-06, 05:20 PM
Well, I'm one that would like the sharpening slider back. How difficult could this be to implement?

sillyeagle
12-05-06, 10:37 PM
So what does image sharpening actually do? I don't see how the card is not already outputting at its highest precision.

Henno
12-05-06, 10:46 PM
So what does image sharpening actually do? I don't see how the card is not already outputting at its highest precision.

It can be usefull on CRT monitors because they blur things slightly, even adjusted properly. On LCD's it's pretty useless i suppose. I hope Nvidia didn't drop it because they think CRT's are hardly used anymore.

sillyeagle
12-05-06, 10:57 PM
It can be usefull on CRT monitors because they blur things slightly, even adjusted properly. On LCD's it's pretty useless i suppose. I hope Nvidia didn't drop it because they think CRT's are hardly used anymore.

Really? I have always found my Diamondtron Aperture Grille CRT to have superior image quality and sharpness to any LCD, though LCD superior to Shadow Mask CRT.

crainger
12-05-06, 11:57 PM
It's useful in game where the textures are a bit muddy. It's just like the sharpening tool in photo editing programs. Work great in older games, but for normal desktop use and in newer games you'll probably see the typical 'over sharpened' artifacts you see in the photo editing programs.

I used to use about 20% Sharpen and 25% Vibrance with my 6800GT and my CRT which was only applied durning games using the profile.

Skinner
12-07-06, 11:46 AM
Wouldn't it be easy for NV to enable this feature on G80?

bigjohns97
12-07-06, 01:22 PM
Really? I have always found my Diamondtron Aperture Grille CRT to have superior image quality and sharpness to any LCD, though LCD superior to Shadow Mask CRT.

I have never seen a projection monitor/tv look sharper than a flat panel.

Henno
12-07-06, 04:57 PM
Wouldn't it be easy for NV to enable this feature on G80?

Why? Just ignoring this thread is easier for a driver writer. :)

And according Chrisray @ B3D, he thinks it's a hardware feature (like digital vibrance), and GF8 lacks it. :(

crainger
12-08-06, 05:27 PM
Yep. 8 Series can't do image sharpening. Just read it page 12 of the 97.44 driver release notes.

mad_man
12-08-06, 07:37 PM
They can't? Good news :) Better choice to leave it out as some people will put it on and unknowingly reduce image quality.