PDA

View Full Version : What path should I choose? (LCD selection help needed)

ViN86
11-09-06, 11:00 AM
for christmas i am considering getting either a BenQ 24" widescreen or a Dell 2407fpw. both monitors have HDCP, so i should be good with that. the only real difference is that the BenQ has HDMI.

is HDMI really necessary? the price difference is $100 and i really do not want to pay that.

im wondering, are all cards eventually going to use HDMI as their standard outputs? once i get this monitor, i plan to have it for a LOONG time. i also plan to watch HDTV on it, so the monitor should be used for many things for many years. however, if all video cards go HDMI then im screwed, cause the Dell doesnt have an HDMI port. but if the cards continue to have DVI, then i will be ok.

also, is HDMI digital like DVI is? is a converter between the two possible?

EDIT: difference is that BenQ has HDMI... sorry

Sazar
11-09-06, 11:04 AM
The 2407 should also have HDCP I believe.

HDMI carries digitial video AND sound, you can get a convertor from hdmi to dvi, you just loose the audio portion.

ViN86
11-09-06, 11:20 AM
The 2407 should also have HDCP I believe.

HDMI carries digitial video AND sound, you can get a convertor from hdmi to dvi, you just loose the audio portion.
sorry, i meant HDMI. both have HDCP.

einstein_314
11-09-06, 03:33 PM
Yeah, the only difference between HDMI and DVI is that HDMI has audio with it...so unless you plug your speakers into your monitor... (that would be kinda weird methinks) HDMI is useless. I'd go for the Dell. I have one and it's a beauty.