PDA

View Full Version : Forceware control panel empty

Pages : [1] 2 3

PlumSmuggler
11-09-06, 09:17 PM
Hi, I installed my 8800gtx last night and installed Forceware 97.02. After I rebooted there is nothing in the control panel. Not a single adjustment is available. I uninstalled the drivers and ran drivercleaner in safe mode. re-installed the drivers again but nothing changed. I can change settings using nvtray tools but I am not sure all available settings are there. Has anybody come across this and if so how did you fix it? Thanks Plum

SLippe
11-09-06, 09:23 PM
Assuming you are running Windows XP...

You have all the Windows updates? At least .NET 2.0, DirectX 9.0C latest build, etc.? Just some thoughts. Not sure if that is the problem, but...you never know.

PlumSmuggler
11-09-06, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the fast response. Yes, everything is up to date. Also tried a couple other driver sets that support 8800's and they did the same thing.

SLippe
11-09-06, 09:34 PM
It kind of sounds like a Hardware Acceleration or an Video Overlay problem. You might fiddle around with those settings.

grey_1
11-09-06, 09:47 PM
originally posted by rewt
Make sure the NVIDIA Display Driver Service is started and set to Automatic.

If you recall the 96.94 driver thread, this was one of the things I corrected in the inf

rewt covered this in another thread.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79620&page=2

PlumSmuggler
11-09-06, 09:52 PM
Yeah I read that too. I set it to auto and the problem is still there. Thanks for the tip though :)

OWA
11-09-06, 09:56 PM
Have you tried installing ntune 5.05? If not, try that. It just adds more stuff to the CP so it'll be interesting if that stuff shows up or if it stays completely blank.

PlumSmuggler
11-09-06, 10:11 PM
I did install ntune and that stuff shows up - Plum

rahoney
11-09-06, 10:13 PM
I just installed an evga 8800GTX tonight and the 97.02 drivers and have the same issue. I have also uninstalled, DC cleaned/safe mode, checked services, and reinstalled and it does not fix the issue.

I have installed ntune and, interestingly enough, the ntune options DO show up in the CP, but the normal stuff does not.

I was wondering if it was just me... so oddly I'm a bit relieved that someone else is experiencing the same thing :)

-jtrhone

PlumSmuggler
11-09-06, 10:19 PM
It's good to know its not just me. At least the card still works great in games.

rewt
11-09-06, 10:22 PM
If you are using 32-bit windows, it's a problem with the original inf. Reinstall the drivers using the modified one from laptopvideo2go.com

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11779

PlumSmuggler
11-09-06, 10:35 PM
At the risk of sounding like a complete noob... can you give me the lowdown on installing the modded inf? I have never done it before - Plum

rewt
11-09-06, 10:43 PM
Sure thing.

All you need to do is extract the drivers to a folder (I use WinRAR, and right-click on the file > Extract). After that, download the modded inf from lv2go site (right-click on the link for inf > Save target as..)

Now save (replace) the new inf overtop the original inf that you extracted earlier. Install the drivers by running setup.exe.

I'm not sure why nvidia disabled the services on 8800 drivers in the first place. So I can't guarantee it will work. All I know is that it works for most other cards on Windows 32-bit.

rahoney
11-09-06, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the advice, unfortunately it's not working for me. I get the same issue. I tried both "Update Driver" and clean installs with the new INF, 2x a piece just to make sure. Every time I still get the ntune options in the CP, but not the normal ones.

Games seem to be performing ok and I can adjust things via the nvtray, but I don't get to toy with profiles and such in this state. Hopefully the upcoming WHQL version will be better for me.

PlumSmuggler
11-09-06, 11:01 PM
same here..doesn't work for me either :( thanks for the help though - Plum

SLippe
11-09-06, 11:29 PM
Weird.

OWA
11-10-06, 12:06 AM
Yeah, that's really weird.

rahoney
11-10-06, 07:31 AM
Well the only thing I see particularly similar between us (besides the card of course) is that we both have MSI motherboards.

Plum, are you running CoreCenter? (not even sure if it's available from MSI for their newer boards)

It freaked out on me because it relies on one of the ntune DLLs which, apparently, are not part of the normal display driver suite anymore (you have to install ntune itself).

Just curious. I've tried the driver install with and without corecenter installed and it didn't work.

I'm wondering if I might have to uninstall all my nforce drivers and start from there. I'll probably try that tonight.

nekrosoft13
11-10-06, 07:47 AM
i had the same problem yesterday

i had 97.02 working fine, OC was working, everything was showing in CP. everything was perfect on 7950GX2.

i was trying to fix my Splinter Cell Double Agent corruptions, so i decided to uninstall the video driver and try again. After reboot i went to safe mode, did the driver cleaning. Installed 97.02 again (with same modded info i used before) and options from control panel were missing. Then I reinstalled nTune, now only nTune settings were showing.

so I uninstalled both ntune and video driver, rebooted, and installed video driver, rebooted and ntune. Still the same problem.

Uninstall video card driver again, reboot, installed 92.91, and everything was back in CP. Then I installed 97.02 on top of 92.91, rebooted. All settings were still present, but after unlocking extra options with nvtweak (tried coolbits also). OC wouldn't stick, i exit control panel, upon entering again, OC is gone. SLI options disapear in nHancer. Temp monitoring doesn't work.

trying to switch from multi-gpu to multi-display results with black screen, simply won't go back to desktop

everything was working fine, before uninstaling 97.02 driver

now i'm using 92.91 again, Splinter Cell Double Agent still got weird graphic corruption. all this trouble for nothing.

PlumSmuggler
11-10-06, 09:13 AM
Well the only thing I see particularly similar between us (besides the card of course) is that we both have MSI motherboards.

Plum, are you running CoreCenter? (not even sure if it's available from MSI for their newer boards)

Yes...I'm running core center. I was thinking about putting my 7950gx2 back in and reinstalling 97.02's again. Curious if it will make a difference. I might wipe everything and start from scratch. It's about time for some Windows housekeeping anyway :) - Plum

nekrosoft13
11-10-06, 09:28 AM
Yes...I'm running core center. I was thinking about putting my 7950gx2 back in and reinstalling 97.02's again. Curious if it will make a difference. I might wipe everything and start from scratch. It's about time for some Windows housekeeping anyway :) - Plum

i don't have MSI board, and i'm also affected, so thats not the problem

rahoney
11-10-06, 09:57 AM
Ah ok, so it's not MB specific then. It appears that it might just be BETA-related :) .

How do you install "on top of" an older set of drivers? I might try that too. Do you use "Update Driver", ... "have disk", etc. , and point to the new set ?

nekrosoft13
11-10-06, 10:03 AM
what i did was i had 92.91 installed, rebooted, and just install 97.02, don't uinstall 92.91 first.

This way i got the items in control panel to show, but keep in mind it wasn't working correctly, so i would only recommend it to test it out.

funny thing is first time i installed 97.02 it was fresh, right after uninstalling 92.91, everything was working fine, except Splinter Cell Double Agent, while trying to fix that, and uninstalled 97.02, after that 97.02 simply would not work correctly anymore

PlumSmuggler
11-11-06, 08:39 PM
nekrosoft13... who is the maker of your 8800gtx? I just notice rahoney's and mine are both EVGA's. Just curious if it might be manufacturer specific. I think they are all reference boards, but you never know :) - Plum

nekrosoft13
11-11-06, 11:07 PM
noone, i have 7950gx2 now

8800gtx in about a week or two

its a driver problem