PDA

View Full Version : New build...

A101Sugar
11-09-06, 09:37 PM
I'm planning on building a new system in the next month or so..

I'm on a budget since I am only 16 and I have to pay for it all myself...

Since I work at Best Buy , I did the Retail Edge program through Intel and I ordered all for $220 --->
> Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E6300
> Intel® Desktop Board DG965WH
> Microsoft* Windows Vista* Ultimate :captnkill:

(it was gonnna take 6-8 weeks till I get it from that date I ordered it, and I ordered it on 10/24/06)

I think I am am going to use the mobo and CPU to hold me over till later in 07, then see what Intel and AMD have out there depending on price.

Only other thing I am unsure about is video card.... I don't have the money to go out and get a GTS, cause I know what once DX10 is released, ATI will have their cards out, and nVIDIA will be amping up their line-up...
So I was thinking maybe one of lee63's 7950GX2 until DX10 is more "mainstream", or lmaybe a 7900GTX.

Case: Lian-Li PC-65B
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
Motherboard: Intel DG965WH
Memory: 2 gigs ( 2 X 1 gb) Corsair Dominator DDR2 PC6400
Graphics Card:
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum
Hard Drive #1: 150 gb Western Digital Raptor 10,00 RPM [Operating System/Games]
Hard Drive #2: 200 gb Seagate [Storage]
Power Supply: 750 watt Silverstone Strider ST60F Modular Power Supply
Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate
Speakers: Logitech Z-5300E or Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
Monitor: a nice 20"... probably a Dell 2007WFP or any other nice LCD for gaming. (probably use my envision 17" crt for a while , then later get the LCD)

So what do you think of this set-up for now??
any suggestions/comments???

a12ctic
11-09-06, 10:03 PM
Go for a nforce or ati mainboard, they have more features for less money.

A101Sugar
11-09-06, 10:20 PM
Go for a nforce or ati mainboard, they have more features for less money.

I think I am just gonna use the Intel mobo since it came with the RetailEdge, unless I take that mobo and can sell it.....

Bearclaw
11-09-06, 10:26 PM
You can try selling it and getting a 680i.

A101Sugar
11-09-06, 10:32 PM
yea, I just gotta find a way to sell it...

any suggestions on how to sell it?

I also got a bunch of parts from my old comp I need to sell.

Bearclaw
11-09-06, 10:34 PM
yea, I just gotta find a way to sell it...

any suggestions on how to sell it?

I also got a bunch of parts from my old comp I need to sell.
Well, if you register with MikeC you can sell parts on here. Since we are all computer nerds, you would be better off tyring to get a better price on ebay.

Although, depending on what you do, you will be fine with that board.

A101Sugar
11-09-06, 11:16 PM
the main decision is on the video card...

I wanna be able to play DX10 games, but the price on the G80's right now is out of my budget. Also I feel it wouldn't be worth it to buy a DX10 now, because until DX10 comes out in January and games support DX10, there will already be new cards from ATI and nVIDIA out there...

The main idea I had was, once I get the bundle from Intel, buy the other parts, get a 7950GX2 from lee63 and game on until later in 07'

then upgrade to a DX10 , better mobo, and better processor....

LORD-eX-Bu
11-10-06, 12:38 AM
lol, you did retail edge? :lol:

Our Intel rep that comes to the Circuit City where I work sucks:lol:

some old cuban guy that doesn't know crap, where do they find these guys...

So how do you like Best Buy? Over here I can't even go to a Best Buy because they will kick us out even if we are not wearing our uniform:rofl

lee63
11-10-06, 12:59 AM
the main decision is on the video card...

I wanna be able to play DX10 games, but the price on the G80's right now is out of my budget. Also I feel it wouldn't be worth it to buy a DX10 now, because until DX10 comes out in January and games support DX10, there will already be new cards from ATI and nVIDIA out there...

The main idea I had was, once I get the bundle from Intel, buy the other parts, get a 7950GX2 from lee63 and game on until later in 07'

then upgrade to a DX10 , better mobo, and better processor....
;)

A101Sugar
11-10-06, 02:53 PM
yep. We have had an Intel rep come in like 1 time when I worked, and he was just talking on his cell phone. I never even talked to the guy, lol. I agree, the Intel rep was pretty bad. But I heard about Retail Edge from some other guys that work in the Computer Department w/ me and from some guys in Geek Squad.

I like Best Buy a lot. A great job as a 16 year old.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-10-06, 07:54 PM
16 year old working at best buy is very good. We just got a bunch of highschool students working here at circuit city. They are pretty cool.

The AMD rep came in again today, he was way cool again. We talked about a bunch of stuff, AMD quad core and he admitted that he has a Conroe in his rig and has an intel based laptop:lol:

Even tho I wouldn't buy an AMD product right now I wouldn't have any problem pushing products for AMD right now since their reps are so down to earth and open with ya:D

A101Sugar
11-11-06, 03:11 PM
the best rep at our store is the HP guy. He used to work at Best Buy in computers, so when he comes in, he actually does his job and helps customers with stuff. He actually comes in to the store and stays for the full time he is supposed to, unlike other reps that only show up for part of the time. He knows us all by name and is way cool to talk to. He games on the 360 and computer, so he is pretty cool..... whenever he is working, it makes the day much funner and goes by much faster...

some comments about Best Buy:

employee discount is so-so... on most stuff. Better off buying it from newegg lol

also, we don't carry that much good computer parts... no CPU's , no motherboards, no good video cards :(

Upside: around christmas/end of year, we are supposed to get a nice bonus, so more money to go straight into my comp (nana2)

LORD-eX-Bu
11-12-06, 12:34 AM
we get acomodations, pretty huge discount on stuff. I am thinking about special ordering a 8800gtx since we offer them online and seeing what type of discount I get on it:D

Our AMD rep already knows everyone's name, he didn't even need to look at our tags... kinda creepy:lol:

A101Sugar
11-12-06, 06:24 PM
hahah

Best Buy is bad for new hardware.....

I asked my the supervisor of computers if he could find out about when we get DX10 video cards.... and I haven't gotten a response....

most likely we won't get them till way after DX10 and vista are released. :thumbdwn:

I wish we got a good discount on computer parts...

pretty much I am extremely screwed money wise... since I have to buy everything retail pretty much....

A101Sugar
11-12-06, 06:37 PM
I just got an e-mail from Intel saying that my bundle got shipped, so I should be receiving it within the next few(3-5) days.

I am pretty set on parts.....

though I still have no clue on what to do about a video card...

I really can't afford $500 for an 8800GTS considering DX10 isn't out yet, ATI hasn't released their line-up, and nvidia hasn't gone a refresh on their products.... so I really don't wanna spend the money now, then be screwed in the next few months.........

I don't think I am gonna buy one of lee63's 7950GX2, cause eventhough he has it at a great price, considering price when I wanna sell it in 07' it won't be worth much, I would be losing a lot of money.....

so pretty much I am completely confused :confused: :(

A101Sugar
11-12-06, 06:38 PM
-LORD-eX-Bu']we get acomodations, pretty huge discount on stuff. I am thinking about special ordering a 8800gtx since we offer them online and seeing what type of discount I get on it:D

ooohhh, I wanna know how much :)

A101Sugar
11-13-06, 05:45 PM
also how much of an overclock you think I could get w/ this set-up???

I am planning to use an aftermarket CPU cooler... probably a Zalman 9700

A101Sugar
11-14-06, 08:12 PM
***Update***
Just received my Retail Edge Bundle...

I wanna buy a eVGA 680i motherboard...
but my budget is already stretched to its limit... especially since i plan on getting a DX10 card which will set me back a lot.

If only I could afford a 680i :(

So I am debating using the mobo and cpu...

selling the mobo and cpu... and buying a Core 2 Duo when the 2nd gen come out...

selling mobo and buying another mobo

or seeing if during the holidays... I could go to Fry's and work the system.

Say I got it as a gift and I don't have a receipt and then see if I could get store credit and buy a eVGA 680i and then pay the difference :) (this way I wouldn't have to deal with selling it, then buying a 680i, so hopefully they are pretty leniant at Fry's.... they are the kind of store that the employees have the power to make the calls so hopefully I can do this).

Overall :/