PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys - building a new box and wanting advice

jf.1987
11-10-06, 03:48 AM
Hi all, I'll be building a new system in a week or so and thought I'd run it by some folks more knowledgable than myself. Here's what I'm thinking:

Case: Standard one (I don't think this is hugely important)

PSU: I'll probably be going for a 550W antec PSU, but I'd be grateful for any advice you guys could give. Please bear in mind, however that I live in Australia so we don't have quite the same stuff as in the US and it's always more expensive. I was hoping to spend about $100 - $150 AUS on one. This (http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf)should give you an idea of what's normally available.

Motherboard: I was thinking of an Asus P5LD2, but again advice is appreciated, preferably within the same price range though.

CPU: Conroe Core 2 Duo E6400/6300 depending on available funds

EDIT: Fogot to mention the graphics card, I'll be grabbing an 8800 GTS in all likelihood

RAM: 1gb DDR2 (not sure on a brand - advice welcome. I know 1gb will hold me back but I should be able to afford another 1gb stick within a few weeks of purchase).

Thanks guys, if there's any more info you need in order to give proper advice just let me know :)

Bearclaw
11-13-06, 12:05 AM
Hi all, I'll be building a new system in a week or so and thought I'd run it by some folks more knowledgable than myself. Here's what I'm thinking:
Case: Standard one (I don't think this is hugely important)
PSU: I'll probably be going for a 550W antec PSU, but I'd be grateful for any advice you guys could give. Please bear in mind, however that I live in Australia so we don't have quite the same stuff as in the US and it's always more expensive. I was hoping to spend about $100 - $150 AUS on one. This (http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf)should give you an idea of what's normally available.
Motherboard: I was thinking of an Asus P5LD2, but again advice is appreciated, preferably within the same price range though.
CPU: Conroe Core 2 Duo E6400/6300 depending on available funds
EDIT: Fogot to mention the graphics card, I'll be grabbing an 8800 GTS in all likelihood
RAM: 1gb DDR2 (not sure on a brand - advice welcome. I know 1gb will hold me back but I should be able to afford another 1gb stick within a few weeks of purchase).
Thanks guys, if there's any more info you need in order to give proper advice just let me know :)

Case: I would suggest a Lian Li, although I am not sure what your budget is. They have really nice cases with a lot of nices features like removable motherboard trays, etc. This case here is an awesome one. I have one very similar to it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112040

PSU: as far as a PSU is involved you get what you pay for. If you get a cheap one, it will fail on oyu and maybe even short your whole system. If you plan on going SLI with the G80 cards in the future then go for a better PSU, more watts and a better rail system. Talk to Xion_X2 about PSU's. He is the guy who really knows the PSU's.

Motherboard: I have not seen that motherboard but depending on what you need, and if you plan on SLI in the future, etc that will work fine.

CPU: If you are going to get a e6300 or a e6400 go for the e6300. They have the same L2 cache and you can more than likely overclock the e6300 to e6400 speeds.

Video Card: The 8800GTS or GTX, whichever you choose will be good for now. You have to make sure the PSU can handle it and that your motherboard has a PCI-E slot for it to go in. Again, try the Video Card threads about this new card and you will more than likely get all your answers there. Nvidia is reccomending at leats 30amps for a G80 card so once gaain check your PSU and talk to Xion_X2. He cna help you out with that.

Memory: As far as memory goes you will need DDR2 and it is more expensive than DDR so buying 1Gb now and getting another Gb later is fine. Depending on your other choices for components you can always save here and spend more there so see what you can do. I would not go for under 2GB but if you get the e6300, you cna use the extra money saved on not getting the e6400 for thta extra GB.

Just my initial thoughts. Any more questions feel free to ask. There are a bunch of people on these forums that know way more than I do so ask around.

Good luck with your build!

Levell0rd
11-14-06, 11:29 AM
I would agree. I spent a month or so going through all of my purchasing options. Skimp here, splurge here.. You know. You'll be happy you did. I can help alot with PSU's and such as well. Like he said, just ask.