PDA

View Full Version : p4 temperature control

kruisre
02-26-03, 04:26 AM
http://www.xbitlabs.com/cpu/p4-temp/

so when is a p4 2.8 not a 2.8 - when it's running at 2.2. doesn't anyone have a problem with this? can you disable this feature?

kruisre
02-26-03, 05:59 PM
can you disable this feature?

R.Carter
02-27-03, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by kruisre
can you disable this feature?

I doubt it. The Thermal Control Circuit (TCC) can operate in two modes. Automatic and On-Demand.

The P4 specification states that Automatic mode is required for the processor to operate within specification and must be enabled via BIOS. So I can't see any motherboard vendor selling board that doesn't enable it. On-Demand simply turns on the feature regardless of the TCC.

With proper cooling the CPU junction temperatures should not be exceed and result in the CPU slowing itself down. They tested the TCC mechanism by slowing down the CPU fan and heating the air in the case.

If you are worried about this then run a monitoring program like Motherboard Monitor (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/).

It should be able to report your CPU speed and temperature.

kruisre
02-27-03, 04:24 PM
well yes it is a concern i suppose. i guess a similar feature on amd does a shutdown as opposed to a slowdown.

and so p4's are stable well sure, how hard could it be - slowdown and stable. or am i missing something.

kruisre
02-28-03, 08:00 PM
maybe this site isn't meant for discussion on processors - where to go for such comments please?

just thought it might be relevant as volt certainly posted a news on this.

LORD-eX-Bu
03-02-03, 03:05 AM
the one time that my P4 got hot it slowed down, I was playing UT2k3 and fps dropped to like 3-8, but then I just turned the fan speed up and it went back to normal. Is this what you are talking about?:confused:

kruisre
03-02-03, 06:43 AM
yes. and how do you know it isn't running marginally slower at times and coming back after cooldown (check the article)?

you might not see an awful lot of difference betweem 2.8 and 2.2.

in other words if it doesn't shut down there still could be a problem - they don't get somewhat hot?

LORD-eX-Bu
03-02-03, 12:45 PM
my P4 doesn't get hot. I don't really worry about this. I already get great performance anyways;)

R.Carter
03-03-03, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by kruisre
yes. and how do you know it isn't running marginally slower at times and coming back after cooldown (check the article)?

Well, run Motherboard Monitor or some other similar program that can report CPU speed as well as CPU temperature.

I doubt that CPU will ever run into situation where it slows down due to overheating unless you live in a really hot area where temperature in case gets to over 40C. If it does slow down then something is wrong with your cooling or air flow.

Remember for that article they reduced CPU fan speed and stuffed a heater in the case.