PDA

View Full Version : Once Again HL EP2 Delayed..

Pages : [1] 2

anticitizenzero
11-10-06, 02:01 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155159

Talking with Valve's Marketing Director Doug Lombardi, CVG has learned that Half-Life 2: Episode Two, and subsequently Portal and Team Fortress 2, has been pushed back from Q1 2007 release till sometime in summer 2007 -- and that's just what they're "targeting."

If Valve is delayed game after game, why dont' they hire more people to work on them, they stated that the reason for episodes is so we get a new one ever 6-7 months, now it looks like a new one every year.

|JuiceZ|
11-10-06, 02:23 PM
<--- predicts HL2 Episodes + TF2 will magically turn into HL3 around 2010 :D

superklye
11-10-06, 02:27 PM
It's not so much that they need to hire more people--they do, for sure--BUT THEY NEED TO STOP GIVING HARD RELEASE DATES AND JUST SAY, "WHEN IT'S DONE" LIKE EVERY OTHER DEVELOPER WITH THE INTELLIGENCE OF A SQUID.

AdmiralHalsey..
11-10-06, 02:28 PM
Yeah, I'm sure valve is in no hurry to end their only franchise any time soon. They literally have nothing else but half life as far as single player games. And the graphics, while getting better, definatly need some major improvements for the next chapter[s], in my humble opine at least.

BioHazZarD
11-10-06, 02:28 PM
Nice episodic play.. wait more then a year to play 4-5 hours.

Namrok
11-10-06, 02:39 PM
I thought going episodic was supposed to speed things up? So whats the game plan now, 2 years per 2 hours of gameplay? No wonder Valve is getting into publishing, they'll probably need it to stay afloat at that rate.

brady
11-10-06, 03:30 PM
I laughed when I read the thread title. :captnkill:

stncttr908
11-10-06, 03:47 PM
I don't care about Ep2 as much as I do TF2 and Portal. :(

jAkUp
11-10-06, 04:39 PM
Delayed???? Valve???

No way :)

SH64
11-10-06, 04:44 PM
Meh ... by that time Crysis will be out & noboday gonna care about it.

Q
11-10-06, 05:13 PM
I heard the reason for the delay is because Duke is making a cameo in it.

rudedog
11-11-06, 08:03 AM
I thought going episodic was supposed to speed things up? So whats the game plan now, 2 years per 2 hours of gameplay? No wonder Valve is getting into publishing, they'll probably need it to stay afloat at that rate.

My thoughts exactly.

rflair
11-11-06, 10:30 AM
I just want TF2 and 'hopefully' the delay means very few bugs and good optimization.

randsom
11-11-06, 01:13 PM
I heard the reason for the delay is because Duke is making a cameo in it.
i just about fell out of my chair.

CLASSIC

Brimstone7
11-11-06, 01:16 PM
I think the problem with Valve's version of "episodic release" is that they work on new content and new technology at the same time. Episodes would probably work if all they did was crank out new maps and weapons. Anytime you change the foundation of the game you're going to run into problems like this. We all know Valve is going to release a quality product but I think it's safe to say that this episodic delivery idea has been a horrible failure.

superklye
11-11-06, 01:26 PM
And it's great, because the people that make Guild Wars are able to crank out games hundreds of hours long with tons of new skills and new features every 6 months.

VALVe ftw!

SH0DAN
11-11-06, 03:28 PM
Might have something to do with the multi threading rewrite of the whole Source engine.

Imbroglio
11-11-06, 06:04 PM
Might have something to do with the multi threading rewrite of the whole Source engine.

yea i read that somewhere myself, apparently with the upcoming quad core they are squeezing out performance numbers that triple current engine with only a different cpu. tbh, it's about time big companies are trying to take advantage of the multiple cores. i did read that they were having issues keeping the stack queues for each core filled, without having one cpu go through the queue and then sit idle until it is queued up again. i personally can't wait :D

SH64
11-11-06, 06:11 PM
They would've been better if they moved the multi-core support for their next engine & focused more on the gameplay/features.

Lazaredz
11-11-06, 06:12 PM
"Episodic gaming" FTW!!!

Pffffft!!!

Yeah, anyone hear anything about Sin Epsidoe 2 yet either??? Anyone?? Buehler???

Rakeesh
11-11-06, 11:34 PM
I've already said that Episode 2 isn't coming out until spring of 08.

Sazar
11-11-06, 11:41 PM
Everyone said the same crap about Valve before Ep 1 came out, then they sang the praises of Valve.

Sure, it sucks, but come on, there's plenty of other stuff to keep us occupied.

superklye
11-11-06, 11:46 PM
I know they're going to put out a great product...they're track record is enough to forgive any delays.

The thing I cannot forgive is that they STILL haven't learned to avoid hard release dates before they know for sure: I cannot forgive them repeatedly crushing my hopes when they could avoid it all together by just saying, "WHEN IT'S DONE."

:mad:

stevemedes
11-12-06, 01:35 AM
Awww that sucks. I really can't wait for TF2.. I reinstalled TFC just to get myself in the mood lol.

CaptNKILL
11-12-06, 05:26 AM
yea i read that somewhere myself, apparently with the upcoming quad core they are squeezing out performance numbers that triple current engine with only a different cpu. tbh, it's about time big companies are trying to take advantage of the multiple cores. i did read that they were having issues keeping the stack queues for each core filled, without having one cpu go through the queue and then sit idle until it is queued up again. i personally can't wait :D
I like the sound of this, is this just a rumor or did Valve actually say they are working on this right now?

IMO multithreading is the only thing this engine needs. I never had any serious problems with it like others had. To this day I think its one of the best looking, smoothest running and most feature-filled engines around.