PDA

View Full Version : Which is more important for me... GPU or CPU?


stevemedes
11-10-06, 04:38 PM
My specs are in my sig.

I'm currently in line for a step up to a 8800 GTS. That upgrade is going to cost me about $275 total.

My question is, should I cancel my step up and upgrade my CPU, Mobo and RAM first? Basically, am I going to be extremely CPU limited in 3d games with my current setup?

J-Mag
11-10-06, 04:57 PM
If your priority is frame rate improvement in games, the GTS is the answer.

There is basically no difference in frame rate between CPU's at the resolutions and setting people use. A few exceptions would be Oblivion in the cities, X3, AoE3, Civ IV...

stevemedes
11-10-06, 05:03 PM
Im limited by my LCD to 1280x1024. Thats the reason I went with GTS over GTX.

a12ctic
11-10-06, 07:00 PM
The gts will be a much better upgrade than a cpu as long as you at least have than a sngle core amd64or better

stevemedes
11-10-06, 07:03 PM
Maybe I should just get the GTS and then buy a DFI SLI DR expert for $120 off of directron. Seems pointless investing in a 939 Mobo at this point though.

CaptNKILL
11-10-06, 08:18 PM
Maybe I should just get the GTS and then buy a DFI SLI DR expert for $120 off of directron. Seems pointless investing in a 939 Mobo at this point though.
Na, just stick with what you've got and get the GTS. Save the money for a core 2 upgrade whenever you've accumulated enough extra $$. :)

I'm going to be running a GTX on my X2 at 2.7Ghz (I cant believe I squeezed another 200Mhz out of it just by getting a new case) at really high resolutions, so I'm not too worried yet... but there is definitely a core 2 in my future. Most likely next spring or summer. Earlier if I'm feeling rich. :p

Imbroglio
11-11-06, 09:50 AM
the 8800gts is definately the way to go. i wouldn't invest in a 939 board though, kind of redundant as many companies are stopping the ddr supply, and good ddr is very expensive, (had to go through a canadian store to get this ram, as opposed to paying almost $300 for it here in the states), as i recently did a small upgrade to hold me over until summer. if i was you, i'd get the 8800gts, save up you money and move over to a new cpu/mobo/ram this summer, because it's not like you'll be having gaming issues till next year :D

Daneel Olivaw
11-11-06, 10:21 AM
My specs are in my sig.

I'm currently in line for a step up to a 8800 GTS. That upgrade is going to cost me about $275 total.

My question is, should I cancel my step up and upgrade my CPU, Mobo and RAM first? Basically, am I going to be extremely CPU limited in 3d games with my current setup?You need an upgrade? If you do though, the step up gets my vote.