PDA

View Full Version : I just returned BFG 8800GTX and bought EVGA one.

Pages : [1] 2 3

a_big_burger
11-10-06, 06:06 PM
I am very disappointed at BFG 8800 GTX from Fry's Electronics! It played almost all games perfectly. But .... It had trouble with F.E.A.R! It played smoothly for about 5 - 20 minutes every time and it suddenly gave me all the artifacts and forced the machine to restart! I didn't overclock it. BFG tech guy told me I might need to update my motherboard BIOS, I didn't believe that. I went back to the store and replaced it with a new BFG and I also bought EVGA 8800 GTX (Just wanted to see if this is BFG only issue). The 2nd BFG had the same problem But EVGA had no problem at all!! F.E.A.R ran just fine! Dam! What is wrong with those BFG cards at Fry's Electronics! I will keep the EVGA and return the BFG again! I had been always a BFG loyal customer .... not this time!! I am an EVGA fan now!(nana2)

By the way, I really love Fry's Electronics stores.... They have everything!!

Cyant
11-10-06, 06:11 PM
Sounds like the trouble with the resistor to me... Maybe it didn't get changed.

J-Mag
11-10-06, 06:13 PM
By the way, I really love Fry's Electronics stores.... They have everything!!

Except intelligently informed sales reps ;)

Anyway I know what you mean. If I was forced to shop at only one locaiton for the rest of my life it would be a Frys.

Also don't blame BFG or any OEM for that matter... The first board runs are always done by the same manufacturer.

hoop
11-10-06, 06:18 PM
dude im having these problems with my EVGA GTX

a_big_burger
11-10-06, 06:19 PM
did you try updating your bios?
I didn't update my BIOS since EVGA runs just fine.

fatal1ty
11-10-06, 06:37 PM
Sounds like some of those boards need to get fixed still...

A101Sugar
11-11-06, 04:37 PM
Except intelligently informed sales reps ;)

agreed.

The only thing that makes up for crappy service is the fact they have good products and cheap prices.

Digital_Trans
11-11-06, 04:51 PM
This is another prime example of why I didn't upgrade to the 8800 GTX. There's going to be 7 or more G80 Series cards released by NVIDIA before it's all said and done. I personally want one that offers 1GB of ram, 512-Bit with higher clock speeds then the 8800 GTX.

nrdstrm
11-11-06, 04:59 PM
I am VERY happy with my GTX...I have tried the game/s mentioned above and have had no problems whatsoever. The only game I'm having a problem with is a Beta MMO. In that game it's not rendering the some of the graphics, and the Dev team is working on it...I think these few boards that are artifacting slipped through the cracks like people above said and still have the faulty resister. Just my 2 cents though...

Maverickman
11-11-06, 05:52 PM
I have to say I'm extremely happy with my BFG 8800 GTS. I didn't need to have the fastest, most power-hungry card out there, so I skipped on the GTX. That $699 is really a lot to pay for a video card. I just can't justify going much over $499, and that's right where the 8800 GTS is at. I just miss that old Nvidia Control Panel so much. It was really easy to work with!!!

cschueths
11-11-06, 06:16 PM
This is another prime example of why I didn't upgrade to the 8800 GTX. There's going to be 7 or more G80 Series cards released by NVIDIA before it's all said and done. I personally want one that offers 1GB of ram, 512-Bit with higher clock speeds then the 8800 GTX.
My gut tells me that there will be G8x refresh (a la 8900 GTX) soon after ATI releases their R600.

However, I do plan on buying an 8800GTX within the month (I'll be building a new PC with it, so I'll need to set aside a couple grand first). If the G8x refresh is significantly better, then I'll upgrade.

Maverickman
11-11-06, 06:53 PM
The graphics card industry changes so fast it's almost impossible to keep on top for more than 4-6 months. One possible reason that the R600 has been "delayed" is that it may not perform up to the capabilities of the 8800 GTX.

GTVAPSAMTIK
11-11-06, 07:46 PM

Then hold on till Jan, You will see G80's with DDR 4 memory.
My Evga 8800 GTX setup is working fine, but i dont like the way EVGA havent provided me with any Stepup Program with these G80s'

anticitizenzero
11-11-06, 09:20 PM
Its funny that you say that happened with F.E.A.R because out of all my game benchmarks with my BFG 8800GTX, I gained significant FPS but for some reason when I did a F.E.A.R benchmark, I lost ground.

Digital_Trans
11-11-06, 10:36 PM
Then hold on till Jan, You will see G80's with DDR 4 memory.
My Evga 8800 GTX setup is working fine, but i dont like the way EVGA havent provided me with any Stepup Program with these G80s'

Exactly, with the next year release of the G80 running 1GB of DDR4 Memory and 512-Bit you can't go wrong. I'm glad I didn't fall for all the hype over just gaining fps and nothing more since there's no DirectX 10 games out. I'm glad I'm holding back. My BFG 7900 GTX 512MB OC SLI will do me just fine late into the next year. I want the final cut on the G80 Series!

Xion X2
11-11-06, 10:40 PM
Exactly, with the next year release of the G80 running 1GB of DDR4 Memory and 512-Bit you can't go wrong. I'm glad I didn't fall for all the hype over just gaining fps and nothing more since there's no DirectX 10 games out. I'm glad I'm holding back. My BFG 7900 GTX 512MB OC SLI will do me just fine late into the next year. I want the final cut on the G80 Series!

Translation: I really, REALLY want me a DX10 card but I just can't afford it right now, so I'm going to try REALLY REALLY hard to ignore the fact that it can do twice the amount of AA that my setup can at about 1/3 the performance hit! And I'm also going to cover my little eyes and pretend it can't do HDR + AA too! And better image quality? Fuggedaboutit!!! And I also know.. err.. am going to pretend that DirectX 10 games aren't right around the corner! Yeah, that's it! Don't need one!!!!!1111

xdaishanx
11-11-06, 10:44 PM
BFG GTX here - zero problems so far

and it allows me to push at 1920x1200 everything with high AA and in game settings much better than my 7900gtx did - noticeable in several games

only one with issues is VG beta (and that could be one of several things as can't really say what game it is due to "rules" )

a_big_burger
11-11-06, 11:40 PM
Translation: I really, REALLY want me a DX10 card but I just can't afford it right now, so I'm going to try REALLY REALLY hard to ignore the fact that it can do twice the amount of AA that my setup can at about 1/3 the performance hit! And I'm also going to cover my little eyes and pretend it can't do HDR + AA too! And better image quality? Fuggedaboutit!!! And I also know.. err.. am going to pretend that DirectX 10 games aren't right around the corner! Yeah, that's it! Don't need one!!!!!1111
With G80, I am finally able to enjoy Oblivion!! That game looks ***cking good with HDR + AA.

Digital_Trans
11-12-06, 01:14 AM

I'm sure it's pure eye-candy and so forth. Secondly, I don't know where the hell you get off telling everyone I can't afford it? I have the funds to afford two 8800 GTX for SLI but I'm not going to for the simple fact that NVIDIA will release an even better card in 3 months. Yes, it will be finally great to advance onto something better then NVIDIA's G70 series. You should know this could very well turn out to be the same marketing layout as back when NVIDIA released the 7800 GTX folllowing the 7900 GTX. I don't want to get all caught up in that again. So, go for what ever makes you happy. Hell, I'm happy your using the G80. I hope you sleep with it LMAO! (nana2)

Digital_Trans
11-12-06, 01:17 AM
With G80, I am finally able to enjoy Oblivion!! That game looks ***cking good with HDR + AA.

Right, NVIDIA finally got it right this time.

noko
11-12-06, 01:31 AM
Strange, was getting around 8800 in 3dMark, now I am getting less then 3000, Lost coast is less then half what I had before plus graphic corruption. I reloaded drivers and no change. This is with a eVga card. Any suggestions anyone? As another note I was playing Far Cry for about 4 hours before it started to get real choppy, out of the blue.

jmacdonald801
11-12-06, 02:27 AM
I'm sure it's pure eye-candy and so forth. Secondly, I don't know where the hell you get off telling everyone I can't afford it? I have the funds to afford two 8800 GTX for SLI but I'm not going to for the simple fact that NVIDIA will release an even better card in 3 months. Yes, it will be finally great to advance onto something better then NVIDIA's G70 series. You should know this could very well turn out to be the same marketing layout as back when NVIDIA released the 7800 GTX folllowing the 7900 GTX. I don't want to get all caught up in that again. So, go for what ever makes you happy. Hell, I'm happy your using the G80. I hope you sleep with it LMAO! (nana2)

I agree with you whole heartedly. Plenty of money to spend here. Don't want the first buyers problems that some are having here, and yes, I fully expect a re-spin in 3 months. With Vista coming out on Jan 30th, I don't see the hurry. Surely when R600 comes out in 2 months pricing will be a little more reasonable too.

I guess it's great to get the latest stuff, like yesterday, but it seems like a couple months from now would be more ideal timing.

-James

Xion X2
11-12-06, 02:33 AM
Digital--I didn't really mean you couldn't afford it; I don't know what your financial situation's like and honestly couldn't care less. But I've found it really amusing over the last few weeks guys like yourself that feel the need to shout from the rooftops that you refuse to go G80 until a refresh comes out. Umm... ok? Thanks for announcing it all to us? And you don't do it once or twice is the thing.. I've seen you repeat this 6 or 7 times now on different topics discussing the G80.

It just looks like you keep trying to convince yourself not to buy it is all. It's lame. It's the same thing that GTVAPSAMTIK did right before he went out and bought his 8800GTX SLI. We can see right through it.

And if you think this card is all "hype," then you obviously haven't been keeping up with the reviews. Not only is raw performance across the board greatly increased, but the image quality of the card is unmatched.

nrdstrm
11-12-06, 03:07 AM
Digital--I didn't really mean you couldn't afford it; I don't know what your financial situation's like. But I've found it really amusing over the last few weeks guys like yourself that feel the need to shout from the rooftops that you refuse to go G80 until a refresh comes out. Umm... ok? Thanks for announcing it all to us? And you don't do it once or twice is the thing.. I've seen you repeat this 6 or 7 times now on different topics discussing the G80.

It just looks like you keep trying to convince yourself not to buy it is all. It's lame.

QFT

And I really don't expect a refresh until at least APRIL (even with Vista coming out in Jan/Feb). The boys at NV won't release a refresh until ATI releases the R600...I would bet money on that...Now, if the R600/G80 (refresh) are way better than my 8800GTX that I get to enjoy for 5 months before your "refresh" hits, I'll simply sell the 8800GTX for 4-500 bucks, and spend 100-200 more on an 8900/R600...

Digital_Trans
11-12-06, 03:24 AM
QFT

And I really don't expect a refresh until at least APRIL (even with Vista coming out in Jan/Feb). The boys at NV won't release a refresh until ATI releases the R600...I would bet money on that...Now, if the R600/G80 (refresh) are way better than my 8800GTX that I get to enjoy for 5 months before your "refresh" hits, I'll simply sell the 8800GTX for 4-500 bucks, and spend 100-200 more on an 8900/R600...

Exactly, you word things perfectly when your replying and sharing your views on differences unlike Xion X2 who wants to debate over everything the entire time. He reminds me of a drama queen. Moving forward, it will be very interesting to see what NVIDIA has to offer and what ATI is going to step up to the plate with.