PDA

View Full Version : Is it even a piece of history?

jcniest5
11-10-06, 05:23 PM
The 7900xxx came and go so fast, I don't think anybody would even remember that it exists a year from now. The DX10 8800xxx just totally kills it as I can't see Newegg has it listed on their site anymore (especially the GTX). That is simply sad, to think that it only came into existence about 8 months ago and now, it's like no one even wants it or talk about it anymore. I feel like I just go back 5 years to the past. :thumbdwn:

I want to jump on the 8800xxx, but it would be the same thing when 8900xxx comes out. But I bet even if I've sold both my 6800 Ultra and 7900GTX, it wouldn't be enough to get a 8800xxx. Poor me. :D

DRen72
11-10-06, 05:27 PM
The 7900xxx came and go so fast, I don't think anybody would even remember that it exists a year from now. The DX10 8800xxx just totally kills it as I can't see Newegg has it listed on their site anymore (especially the GTX). That is simply sad, to think that it only came into existence about 8 months ago and now, it's like no one even wants it or talk about it anymore. I feel like I just go back 5 years to the past. :thumbdwn:

I want to jump on the 8800xxx, but it would be the same thing when 8900xxx comes out. But I bet even if I've sold both my 6800 Ultra and 7900GTX, it wouldn't be enough to get a 8800xxx. Poor me. :D

Its the nature of the business...its the gamers blues.

jAkUp
11-10-06, 05:27 PM
The 8900 would be a different scenario. The 8800 is a new platform built off new technology

Kaguya
11-10-06, 05:34 PM
The 8900 would be a different scenario. The 8800 is a new platform built off new technology

I'm not hip to the hardware as much as I used to be, but the 5xxx, 6xxx and 7xxx pieces were all the same basic technology, just each successor was beefier and more powerful than the last (with a few added things), eh?

The G80, though, has all the features of the past plus a whole schwack of new things we can't even truly understand until DX10.

ynnek
11-10-06, 05:50 PM
read hardocp's article
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTIxOCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Even if you don't soak up 100% of it, it becomes obvious the 8 series are a lot different.

jcniest5
11-10-06, 06:19 PM
So, when are games able to fully use DX10 features? Wouldn't that make DX9 cards dead in the water?

Victorshen
11-10-06, 07:40 PM
So, when are games able to fully use DX10 features? Wouldn't that make DX9 cards dead in the water?
eventually, yes

but that takes some time

CaptNKILL
11-10-06, 08:14 PM
I'm not hip to the hardware as much as I used to be, but the 5xxx, 6xxx and 7xxx pieces were all the same basic technology, just each successor was beefier and more powerful than the last (with a few added things), eh?

I think I might have to disagree there. The FX series was horrid trash, the 6 series was head and shoulders above everything else that came before it.

I dont know the specifics of the hardware itself, maybe the 6 series is actually pretty similar to the FX... but it sure didnt work out that way in games or benchmarks.

The 7 series on the other hand... yeah they are basically just beefier 6 series cards.

Xion X2
11-10-06, 08:42 PM
I know that I won't forget mine. The 7900GTX was a truly kick@ss card, and I enjoyed it. My first Nvidia card, because I'd been an ATi boy in the past.

Kaguya
11-10-06, 11:29 PM
I think I might have to disagree there. The FX series was horrid trash, the 6 series was head and shoulders above everything else that came before it.

I dont know the specifics of the hardware itself, maybe the 6 series is actually pretty similar to the FX... but it sure didnt work out that way in games or benchmarks.

The 7 series on the other hand... yeah they are basically just beefier 6 series cards.

Oh I agree with you 100% But while there were vast improvements from 5 to 6 to 7, they were basically the same generation. The 5's had similar features, but were severely bottlenecked by a lack of pipes and bandwidth. The 6's fixed that and the 7's added even more.

The 8's, though, have all sorts of new things that really make them a beast all their own.

candle_86
11-11-06, 12:08 AM
The NV40 is based on NV30. What they did different is simple really, instead of TMU's they used real piplines, and added PS3 and fixed there PS2 implementation. If you rember the FX 5900 preformed on par with 9800 unless it was PS intensive, the reason is there PS2 implementation was weak, when they fixed that and made real pipelines instead of 4x2 it fixed everything.

Kaguya
11-11-06, 12:28 AM
That makes sense. I actually went from a Ti4400 to a Radeon 9800 to a 7800 GT so I didn't pay much attention to th FX. My Ti still lives on, though... it actually does a good job on simple games still ;)

jAkUp
11-11-06, 12:45 AM
Oh I agree with you 100% But while there were vast improvements from 5 to 6 to 7, they were basically the same generation. The 5's had similar features, but were severely bottlenecked by a lack of pipes and bandwidth. The 6's fixed that and the 7's added even more.

The 8's, though, have all sorts of new things that really make them a beast all their own.

Well the 6 and 7 did introduce SM3.0. But yea, the 8 series is much different in plenty of areas.