PDA

View Full Version : 8800 GTX Owners, Who's Had Slow Down After OC?

Pages : [1] 2

Blacklash
11-10-06, 07:24 PM
Question for other 8800 GTX owners. Anyone had their GTXs not switch to 3d speeds? I had this happen after installing ntune and overclocking. When I told the system to reset the card clocks then I noticed crap FPS in games. I am wondering if it's a software bug or not.

Anyone else had this? I am wondering do I have one that should have been recalled with a bad cap? If it was one of the flawed ones installing the driver again wouldn't fix it would it? I did install it again and the card seems to be switching to 3d speed fine now.

lowdog
11-10-06, 08:09 PM
Same problem as mine, also, the card doesn't just exhibit the slow mode symptom just from trying to oc it, it can happen just from running 3D games for a while. It's like the card can't switch to 3D mode from 2D mode?

Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers will pull it out of the slow mode it gets stuck in, it's the only fix. Get the card replaced, it's a dodgy one fore sure if it's doing this.

Be interesting to see how many others experience this issue.

BTW, what brand was the card???, mine was POV.

Blacklash
11-10-06, 08:22 PM
Crap.

The card's an Evga.

firehawk
11-10-06, 08:31 PM
Question for other 8800 GTX owners. Anyone had their GTXs not switch to 3d speeds? I had this happen after installing ntune and overclocking. When I told the system to reset the card clocks then I noticed crap FPS in games. I am wondering if it's a software bug or not.

Anyone else had this? I am wondering do I have one that should have been recalled with a bad cap? If it was one of the flawed ones installing the driver again wouldn't fix it would it? I did install it again and the card seems to be switching to 3d speed fine now.

ntune stuck my system at 75% cpu usage. i had to uninstall it and reset my bios to fix it.

K007
11-10-06, 09:26 PM
looks like i might be passing on the 8800 again..dont want to go through the 7900 series problem again..god that was such a waste of time..

Blacklash
11-10-06, 09:28 PM
It's idling @ 65C too and that's in a very well ventilated case. I am thinking something is up with the 2d|3d switch.

Most report about 53C idle or less on average with a 8800GTX.

Sh#t.

Xion X2
11-10-06, 09:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems, Mal. I don't know if you can do this with yours, but I noticed when opening my cards that there was an extra torn label under the ones sealing them in the plastic. That pretty much said to me that they'd been sent back for the resistor fix.

hoop
11-10-06, 09:55 PM
im trying to o/c mine but when i hit the find optimal button my screen goes totally white and i have to manually restart my CPU its like it freezes, is there something im missing? and im using n tune.

Blacklash
11-10-06, 09:58 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems, Mal. I don't know if you can do this with yours, but I noticed when opening my cards that there was an extra torn label under the ones sealing them in the plastic. That pretty much said to me that they'd been sent back for the resistor fix.

I took it out and looked at it closely in a well lit room and there's a good sized nick near the rear of the fan shroud. The finish itself doesn't look quite like it should new out of a box.

Blacklash
11-10-06, 10:00 PM
im trying to o/c mine but when i hit the find optimal button my screen goes totally white and i have to manually restart my CPU its like it freezes, is there something im missing? and im using n tune.

Hoop just use ATi Tool. Quite a few of the top overclockers @ XS have been using it with this card with no issues. nTune seems to be bugging out on more than few folks.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=16851

monkeydust
11-10-06, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I got the Tan Screen of Death when I tried hitting the Find Optimal button. So, I just manually OC'd it and didn't have any problems. My GTS is sitting at 617/1004 right now.

lowdog
11-10-06, 10:33 PM
It's idling @ 65C too and that's in a very well ventilated case. I am thinking something is up with the 2d|3d switch.

Most report about 53C idle or less on average with a 8800GTX.

Sh#t.

Average idle is 60C, average load is 80C, this is what the large majorety are claiming.

Blacklash
11-10-06, 10:54 PM
Think I'll start a thread for temps.

OrangeBlast
11-10-06, 11:45 PM
Isn't the whole 3d slowdown the reason for the recalls?

perhaps some slipped through?

GTVAPSAMTIK
11-10-06, 11:58 PM
My EVGA GTX slow down after i try to OC anything in my system and scores drop down by good amount. After I installed 2nd EVGA 8800 GTX and tried to OC the whole thing it worked find. Something is wrong either with drivers or card itself.

But SLI setup is working Awesome.

tweaked
11-11-06, 04:31 AM
Atitool solved my problems.

works great now.

PeterJensen
11-11-06, 05:07 AM
It's a driver bug. NOT the card. nTune is crap, use ATi tool.

haloeighty8
11-11-06, 07:51 AM
Same problem as mine, also, the card doesn't just exhibit the slow mode symptom just from trying to oc it, it can happen just from running 3D games for a while. It's like the card can't switch to 3D mode from 2D mode?

Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers will pull it out of the slow mode it gets stuck in, it's the only fix. Get the card replaced, it's a dodgy one fore sure if it's doing this.

Be interesting to see how many others experience this issue.

BTW, what brand was the card???, mine was POV.

damn.. I thought it was only me that was experiencing this problem, for instance.. If I make a couple passes at 3dmark 06 the first I'll get around 14,900.. the 2nd it will drop to 11k. I reboot and it's back to 14k.. I sure hope it isn't the cards!! :(

CaptNKILL
11-11-06, 08:05 AM
I hope theres a new driver and a compatible version of nHancer by the time I get my card on tuesday. :p

gaza767
11-12-06, 04:15 AM
so this problem is the driver???? not the card???? i don't need to send my card back???

mike686
11-12-06, 04:46 AM
I don't see why you guys OC the cards, they are fast enough as it is. If you want to OC something, do the CPU.

AdmiralHalsey..
11-12-06, 04:52 AM
After my 7900 series woes, I'm getting sick of these problems with nvidia hardware. Bringing home a brand new super expensive graphics card and not having it work sucks ass, Especially if you use mail order like me. Nvidia mandates QA aggressiveness, its truly their fault, and this is the second time in a year that they've rolled out hardware that wasn't 100%. They really gotta get it together, and I'll join that one fellow in saying I'm glad I'm waiting for the refresh too, production/QA should be more mature by then. But I do envy you guys who got em up and running, must be sweet...

gaza767
11-12-06, 04:59 AM
ok why do i OC the card??? why do i have a vapo chill on my cpu??? not only to make it fast but i love to do it.... it is not a mater of IF i am going to over clock my parts just what ones...lol..

ok Ntune suckes a big fat ass... i am now using the ati tool and it rocks... i am at 630/980 stable... i don't think this is a problem with the card it is ntune that does not work right...

mike686
11-12-06, 05:03 AM
ok why do i OC the card??? why do i have a vapo chill on my cpu??? not only to make it fast but i love to do it.... it is not a mater of IF i am going to over clock my parts just what ones...lol..

ok Ntune suckes a big fat ass... i am now using the ati tool and it rocks... i am at 630/980 stable... i don't think this is a problem with the card it is ntune that does not work right...

I'm just saying after all the problems with the 7900 series, isn't it better just to play it safe and leave your card stock? In my opinion, it's smarter than overclocking it and risk having to RMA it and wait a week or two to recieve a new card.

DRen72
11-12-06, 05:37 PM
I noticed this with the 97.02 drivers, but the 96.89 drivers do not do this. I'm pretty sure its a driver issue.