PDA

View Full Version : 360 HD-DVD

Tyr-Sog
11-10-06, 09:30 PM
Was just curious if anyone has picked one up yet? Impressions?

I had one in my hands tonight while picking up GOW and actually had the check written out for it but after having second thoughts I decided not to get it. I think I'm gonna hold out, see how things playout with hd-dvd and blueray. Also I think I'm just going to go standalone hd-dvd.

GamerGuyX
11-11-06, 12:11 AM
First off, there is no e in Blu-ray Disc.

Secondly, yes, I bought the HD DVD drive for the 360. This morning actually.

Well worth the money. Responsiveness is much better than that of the standalone units currently released.

MustangSVT
11-11-06, 12:46 AM
I'm getting mine on monday. Will post impressions and pics. I have 3 HD-DVD discs so far, Army of Darkness, Batman Begins, Grand Prix and I will have King Kong too I guess. I also have the DVD of Batman Begins and AoD has a SD-DVD side (combo) so I'll compare.

tacos4me
11-11-06, 12:52 AM
Can you play games from it? If so, is it quiet? Stupid internal Hitachi drive is way too loud. I'd pay just to have something more quiet.

toxikneedle
11-11-06, 02:04 AM
Can you play games from it? If so, is it quiet? Stupid internal Hitachi drive is way too loud. I'd pay just to have something more quiet.
No you can't play games from it, only DVDs and HD-DVDs. The reason the internal drive is so loud is due to the fact of how fast the games are spinning, so even if the HD-DVD addon did play games, it would still be close to that level of loudness.

OWA
11-11-06, 02:20 AM
No you can't play games from it, only DVDs and HD-DVDs. The reason the internal drive is so loud is due to the fact of how fast the games are spinning, so even if the HD-DVD addon did play games, it would still be close to that level of loudness.
Dang, oh well.

msxyz
11-11-06, 02:32 AM
Anyone tried to hook up it to a PC ? Is it recognized as an USB mass storage device ?

PSYCHODAD
11-11-06, 02:33 AM
Got mine today as well. Worth the cost IMO.

Marvel_us
11-11-06, 10:30 AM
Anyone tried to hook up it to a PC ? Is it recognized as an USB mass storage device ?

Someone answer this question please.:)

GamerGuyX
11-11-06, 11:14 AM
Someone answer this question please.:)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748729

six_storm
11-11-06, 11:18 AM
I wouldn't mind picking this up maybe next year once HD-DVDs are more available and have a bigger selection, maybe even when Blu-Ray backs down a little bit.

Marvel_us
11-11-06, 11:28 AM
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748729

Thanks for the link.

Morrow
11-11-06, 02:13 PM
damn, I still have to wait two weeks to get this here in Europe.

Tyr-Sog
11-11-06, 03:02 PM
My concern is though that I have a Samsung 30" Widescreen crt. My set has no vga on it so I will not benefit from the upscaling with standard dvds. So dumping another $200 in to the system may not be worth it to me unless they come out with some hdmi connections. Otherwise I may as well wait until a few more standalone hd players hit the market so I can take advantage of the upscaling and hd.

XxDeadlyxX
11-11-06, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the link.

Link doesnt work here, says No Thread specified.

Also, do I need to worry about region coding? I have an NTSC-J 360, and will most likely be buying the Japan HD-DVD player from play-asia.com. Would this pose a problem for..say.. buying Australian HD-DVDs?

EDIT: Found the thread manually.

MustangSVT
11-11-06, 08:32 PM
Why would you want Australian HD-DVDs in the first place? And as far as I know, there's no region coding for HD-DVD for now, though there may be in the future. Not sure why you have NTSC-J 360, but okay..

toxikneedle
11-11-06, 08:36 PM
I think the ability to hook up a 360 HD-DVD addon to a PC will be the beginning of HD-DVDs being pirated on the internet. From what I heard, someone already ripped King Kong.

XxDeadlyxX
11-11-06, 09:02 PM
Why would you want Australian HD-DVDs in the first place? And as far as I know, there's no region coding for HD-DVD for now, though there may be in the future. Not sure why you have NTSC-J 360, but okay..

Because I live in Australia, and I will be buying them from shops/ebay. Also I bought an NTSC-J 360 because it was going very cheap on ebay.

Okay if theres no region coding sofar it shouldnt be a problem.

kev13dd
11-11-06, 10:59 PM
http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEyFkZVEEyNPhTZIHr.php

I've heard a few people say that it worked, although slugish, depending on what player you use

K

Tyr-Sog
11-12-06, 07:41 AM
So again I almost bought this thing but after finding it. Thinking about it I held off and decide that I should go up to the video rental store. I wanted to check out what selection of HD-DVD where for rent at Hollywood video. I get there and ask and they say they don't rent HD. As far as he knows to date that they have no plans to rent out HD-dvds but in a few months will have blu-ray. I'm wondering if some of the rental stores have contracted to only carry 1 format?

I think I'm just going to hold out, let this war play out, let the libraries of HD movies build. Just still seems this is all to far in to its infancy to drop some coin on it right now. Guess I'll go get the snowblower now that I have decided that I'm not going to get the hd player :D