PDA

View Full Version : Retail PS3 information!

|MaguS|
11-10-06, 10:11 PM
Taken all from IGN...
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/743/743956p1.html

Slaylock:Is it possible to copy MP3 files to the hard drive from a data CD or USB memory stick, or do you have to rip them from a music CD?

IGN: You can definitely copy MP3 files from a data CD and a USB memory stick. We just stuck an iPod shuffle into the system, in fact. The PS3 didn't recognize the JPEGs and MP3s right under the Music and Photo tabs of the XMB right away, though it did recognize the iPod Shuffle itself. It actually pops up like any other icon. So when under the appropraite tab (either Photo or Music), we had to call up the side menu, by pressing triangle, and then select "display all" to show everything we had stored on the stick. From there we could play each track and see every picture, and copy each to the hard drive. It was all fairly painless.

Though Sony has said that it has no intention of region locking PlayStation 3 games, it was never specifically clear whether or not region-encoded PlayStation 2 and PSone games would work on a foreign system. Unfortunately, the answer is no. Likewise, foreign films or any other content that's specified for a region different than the system you're using will not work.

According to the PlayStation 3's included Safety and Support manual, the system will accept any 2.5" Serial ATA hard disc drive, and not only officially licensed Sony products. This opens up the possibility of installing a much larger drive than what the system comes with. The manual does note that "Proper operation is not guaranteed for all models" of hard drives, but obviously this is Sony's "just in case" small print.

video playback on Sony's new system seems to have no restrictions of any kind. Barring a lack of support for your chosen format (which of course will never make anybody happy since there are 5 zillion media formats out there and no media player can play back everything), the PS3 will play back videos without issue, even at full HD quality.

we were able to play videos at 720p and even 1080p off of a Memory Stick after first compressing them to the AVC format.

PS3 will also be able to play MPEG1, MPEG2, and standard-profile MP4 videos, all common formats and all formats easily found in consumer-level (and freeware/shareware) video compression applications. We were able to test MPEG2 and MP4-SP, and both formats worked just as any other video format on PS3, without issue.

We threw in Resident Evil 2 from the PlayStation 1 and tried to see how it would look. First of all, there is no upscaling of PS1 titles at all, and if you have an HDTV, you'll need to change your aspect ratio from 16:9 to 4:3 to play these games.

Next, we ejected that disc and put in Gran Turismo 4 for the PS2, without changing any of the settings. We did managed to confirm one of the features from our Cross Media Bar segment in IGN Weekly 31, which is that the PS3 will pop up a logo as soon as you start a PS2 game, which enables the SIXAXIS controller to emulate a Dualshock. The game played fine with one quick race, but we also wound up adjusting the visual settings of Gran Turismo, pushing it to 1080i. The PS3 recognized the screen change, and readjusted the screen on its own. There is no upscaling of PS2 titles either.

Sucks about the backwards compatiblity not increasing the quality of older titles but the media playback sounds great! I can't wait to have an easier way of watching my fansub anime on my TV.

Oh and one more thing of information I found that I need to say and I know people are going to flame me for this but here goes... Sony corrected something stupid that Microsoft did with the X360, Sony has included by default a 1 year warrenty with the PS3, unlike how Microsoft only includes a 3 month warrenty.

Marvel_us
11-10-06, 10:22 PM
Something to add about the HDD. If you decide to upgrade your HDD, PS3 will automatically partition the drive at start up. No worries there.

Everything is looking pretty good so far....after all the waiting it better be.:p

Bad_Boy
11-10-06, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the info magus. :)

mrrolf
11-10-06, 11:29 PM
Good news about the warranty.

Did you get to play with the new controller? I'm interested to see what types of motion it senses, and if there are any limitations we don't know of.

toxikneedle
11-10-06, 11:37 PM
the PS3 will play back videos without issue, even at full HD quality.
That just sounds plain dumb

|MaguS|
11-11-06, 08:25 AM
That just sounds plain dumb

Why does it sound dumb? The PSP was restricted to the resolution of half of the actual screens... This allows people to actually watch their media files at full resolution.

Bad_Boy
11-11-06, 08:30 AM
Why does it sound dumb? The PSP was restricted to the resolution of half of the actual screens... This allows people to actually watch their media files at full resolution.
speaking of that. Is there anyway to unlock PSP video 9 to allow higher resolutions? or will we have to wait for them to update it, say in a PS3 Video 9. :)

|MaguS|
11-11-06, 08:35 AM
Saddly I believe the actual PSP is limited in its playback, I tried once playing back a higher resolution and it just told me it couldn't play it back.

Mr. Hunt
11-11-06, 09:51 AM
Saddly I believe the actual PSP is limited in its playback, I tried once playing back a higher resolution and it just told me it couldn't play it back.

Think Badboy might have been asking about higher resolution videos from PSP9 so he could start converting for PS3 maybe?

toxikneedle
11-11-06, 10:52 AM
That's not the context it's put in, it says that the PS3 plays videos "without any issues" even at full HD "QUALITY," which is a ridiculous sentence. it says nothing of HD resolution.

gmontem
11-12-06, 10:54 PM
So will the PS3 output 480i over HDMI for PS1 and PS2 games? What about PS2 games that support progressive output?

Blaze VGA and that Xploder HDTV can force PS2 to not interlace the output. This has been reported to work with some of the games. Will the PS3 allow something like that, too?

Badboy_12345
11-13-06, 02:13 AM
MS better change their stance on the HDD and media playback/copy...

Bad_Boy
11-13-06, 03:33 AM
Think Badboy might have been asking about higher resolution videos from PSP9 so he could start converting for PS3 maybe?
Exactly.

I think IGN had a report on this saying that they could convert video all the way up to 1080 resolution. Only problem seems to be finding a good enough converter for the job. I dont think IGN mentioned what program they used, or what it even costs. Hopefully the PSPVideo9 guys do something.

mrrolf
11-13-06, 05:01 AM
Has anyone heard about the motion sensitive controller?

Marvel_us
11-13-06, 08:31 AM
Has anyone heard about the motion sensitive controller?

Erm....yea? What about it though?

mrrolf
11-13-06, 11:49 AM
Erm....yea? What about it though?
How is it? Does it feel good? Does it integrate into the games well, or does it seem like a last minute add on? Is it sensitive, or do you have to move alot and really jerk it around to get picked up. Does it sense every direction and rotation on all axis?

Mr. Hunt
11-13-06, 12:25 PM
On the 1up.com show (watched bits of it) they talked about it some... they said in some games it requires you to sort of twist it to perform a juke or something (in NBA07) and sometimes an alien (Resistance) will grab you and you have to shake the controller to "shake" the alien off. Also they mentioned something about THPS8 using it and blah blah blah.

Marvel_us
11-13-06, 12:46 PM
IGN was pretty positive about it while playing Resistance.

People that played Lair and Warhawk said it is very responsive and accurate. All degrees seem to work so far, I don't think there will be a problem there.