PDA

View Full Version : When motherboards go bad

Sycario
11-10-06, 11:13 PM
When I first got my GeForce 8800GTX today i was happy, it was great. Nice and fast even with everything turned up. Well, while running 3dmark06 for the 3rd time my computer locked up. It is now stuck in PCI-Express x1 mode, and wont go back to x16. My original score was 11688. Now this is what i get. :thumbdwn:

candle_86
11-11-06, 01:13 AM
When I first got my GeForce 8800GTX today i was happy, it was great. Nice and fast even with everything turned up. Well, while running 3dmark06 for the 3rd time my computer locked up. It is now stuck in PCI-Express x1 mode, and wont go back to x16. My original score was 11688. Now this is what i get. :thumbdwn:

better than me, i get 986 :P

SLippe
11-11-06, 02:01 AM
CaNiBuS, have you tried clearing the CMOS? Or maybe uninstalling and reinstalling your mobo drivers? Just some thoughts. *shrugs*

Sycario
11-11-06, 09:46 AM
I unplugged the power from the PSU and removed the battery. I also pulled the card out and put it back in, removed video drivers and chipset drivers and reinstalled both. Nothing seems to work.

Xion X2
11-11-06, 10:16 AM
I'm starting to think eVGA shipped me a bad motherboard. I was up until 4am last night messing around with my new build.

On power-up, I get a loud, long beeping sound coming from the motherboard speaker. I get power to everything, but I get no video on my monitor. I've tried just about everything.. swapped out video cards, switched memory slots / tried one stick, hard drive, taken out the battery, cleared CMOS, etc. Now I'm about to yank the mobo out of the case and see if it works that way. If that doesn't work, I'll try swapping PSU's, but I don't think that's the problem since I'm getting power to my components. I think this mobo is just toast.

:thumbdwn:

Sycario
11-11-06, 11:39 AM
Damn, I just ordered that motherboard. I hope mine works OK.

lee63
11-11-06, 11:49 AM
I'm starting to think eVGA shipped me a sh!tty motherboard. I was up until 4am last night messing around with my new build.

On power-up, I get a loud, long beeping sound coming from the motherboard speaker. I get power to everything, but I get no video on my monitor. I've tried just about everything.. swapped out video cards, memory, hard drive, taken out the battery, cleared CMOS, etc. Now I'm about to yank the mobo out of the case and see if it works that way. If that doesn't work, I'll try swapping PSU's, but I don't think that's the problem since I'm getting power to my components. I think this mobo is just toast.

:thumbdwn:I think it might be your ram, jAkUp had issues with it also.

EDIT: Oop's I see you already swapped out your memory, my bad (lee63)

Xion X2
11-11-06, 12:10 PM
I think it might be your ram, jAkUp had issues with it also.

EDIT: Oop's I see you already swapped out your memory, my bad (lee63)

Well, not really. I swapped slots on the memory and tried using just one stick but I have no more DDR2 to use.

Was jaKup never able to get his G.Skill working, either? I'm running DDR2 1000 G.Skill.

I double-checked the LED code on the mobo again and it's flashing "C1" and there are 3 lights up around the memory slots on the mobo that are coming on. One's blue, one's yellow, and one's orange. When I look "C1" up in the manual it's telling me "Memory Presence," so it sounded to me and the tech support guy like it's not recognizing the memory for some odd reason.

I don't have any other DDR2 memory to try out so it looks like I get to spend me some more money here in a second. Joy.

lee63
11-11-06, 12:48 PM
Well, not really. I swapped slots on the memory and tried using just one stick but I have no more DDR2 to use.

Was jaKup never able to get his G.Skill working, either? I'm running DDR2 1000 G.Skill.

I double-checked the LED code on the mobo again and it's flashing "C1" and there are 3 lights up around the memory slots on the mobo that are coming on. One's blue, one's yellow, and one's orange. When I look "C1" up in the manual it's telling me "Memory Presence," so it sounded to me and the tech support guy like it's not recognizing the memory for some odd reason.

I don't have any other DDR2 memory to try out so it looks like I get to spend me some more money here in a second. Joy.I don't think he got it working, You might wanna PM him (lee63)

Xion X2
11-11-06, 08:06 PM
Update: After going down to Best Buy and picking up a sh!tty brand DDR2 memory module at premium costs, I popped it into my board and was able to post w/ 533mhz RAM. Don't know why, but I should've thought of this earlier. D'oh. I had to boot from a lesser mhz RAM (533) and go into the BIOS and up the mhz to 1000 and up the voltage. Saved settings in bios, quickly powered off the system. Then popped in the G.Skill and kapow! We have post! :D

So I stand corrected and apologize to the fine folks at eVGA. Looks as if the board is in good shape after all.

lee63
11-11-06, 08:18 PM
Update: After going down to Best Buy and picking up a sh!tty brand DDR2 memory module at premium costs, I popped it into my board and was able to post w/ 533mhz RAM. Don't know why, but I should've thought of this earlier. D'oh. I had to boot from a lesser mhz RAM (533) and go into the BIOS and up the mhz to 1000 and up the voltage. Saved settings in bios, quickly powered off the system. Then popped in the G.Skill and kapow! We have post! :D

So I stand corrected and apologize to the fine folks at eVGA. Looks as if the board is in good shape after all.
Great news (nana2)