PDA

View Full Version : For everyone who hates WWII themed games -shame on you

rudedog
11-11-06, 07:23 AM
I recieved this press release the other day from Activision and here is my write up

For all those who are tired of the WWII themed games (to hell with you I say:)) Activision may have something of interest for you. This game should be on store shelves on Nov 14th, 2006

Today I received a press release to a game I seen in PC Gamer (only in the gamer release date collume). I've been trying to find more info on Activisions site to see what this game was about but could not find anything. yesterday I received a bunch of press releases from Activision one announcing the retail release of The History Channel Civil War:FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

THE HISTORY CHANNEL® CIVIL WAR FROM ACTIVISION

PUBLISHING SHIPS TO RETAIL STORES NATIONWIDE

Minneapolis, MN – November 10, 2006 – Get ready to experience the intensity and chaos of the war that divided a nation in THE HISTORY CHANNEL® Civil War from Activision Publishing, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI). Gamers can relive history through the eyes of a Confederate or Union soldier and experience such famous battles as Gettysburg, Bull Run and Antietam. THE HISTORY CHANNEL Civil War has been rated “T” (Teen) by the ESRB and is currently available for the Xbox® 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft for $49.99, the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system for a suggested retail price of $39.99 and the PC for $29.99.

“THE HISTORY CHANNEL Civil War gives gamers the chance to experience the defining moment in our nation’s history,” said David Oxford, Activision Publishing, Inc. “We utilized reference materials from THE HISTORY CHANNEL like topographical maps and photographs, and did extensive research on combat methods, weaponry and more to ensure that players would have a unique and authentic Civil War experience.”

“THE HISTORY CHANNEL is always looking for ways to make history experiential for our viewers, and gaming is a fantastic way to do that,” said Carrie Trimmer, Director of Licensing, A&E Television Networks. “Activision has taken great care in recreating the wartime conditions that both Confederate and Union soldiers faced, and I think the game will deliver the type of authentic experience viewers expect from THE HISTORY CHANNEL brand.”

THE HISTORY CHANNEL Civil War casts players in the role of a Confederate or Union soldier battling through 12 of the most famous battles in U.S. history. Each mission is introduced with a documentary video describing the historic moments in a battle, movements of armies, local fights, historical photos and battle statistics. Gamers will experience the intense conflicts of the Civil War in famous locations like Little Round Top and Lookout Mountain to the diverse landscapes of train yards, saw mills and military forts while using bayonets, sabers, the butt of a gun and even their fists to take down the enemy. A wide arsenal of rifles, multiple types of grenades, exploding artillery, revolvers, muskets and more are at the soldier’s disposal to set charges, place explosives, sabotage enemy lines, destroy buildings and more to complete mission objectives.
http://www.fpsadmin.com/gallery/main.php/d/1211-2/Antietam_01.jpg (http://www.fpsadmin.com/gallery/main.php/v/activision/THCcivilwar/Antietam_01.bmp.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1) http://www.fpsadmin.com/gallery/main.php/d/1199-2/Fredericksburg_01.jpg (http://www.fpsadmin.com/gallery/main.php/v/activision/THCcivilwar/Fredericksburg_01.bmp.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1)
click images to enlarge

- To view all screen shots (total of 4) including box art for the PC, Xbox 360 and PS2 click here (http://www.fpsadmin.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1183)
- View the comments of this thread to read the official fact sheet

rudedog
11-11-06, 07:24 AM
The HISTORY CHANNEl ® CIVIL WAR
FACT SHEET

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:
Immerse yourself in the intensity, carnage, and chaos of the war that divided a nation! Experience history brought to life in the first ever first-person action game based on the Civil War. Play as a Confederate or Union soldier in America’s most historic battles including Gettysburg, Bull Run and Antietam. Use authentic firearms, fight in intense hand-to-hand combat, place explosives, sabotage enemy artillery, destroy buildings, and more!

KEY FEATURES:

·America’s Most Historic Battles – Twelve of the most famous battles in the Nation’s history including Gettysburg, Bull Run and Antietam. Experience famous locations such as Little Round Top and Lookout Mountain and diverse landscapes including train yards, saw mills, military forts, trenches, towns and large open battlefields.

·Intense Hand-to-Hand Fighting – Experience the intense chaos of the Civil War including close quarters and melee fighting using bayonets, sabers, the butt of your gun and even your fists in the midst of raging battles.

·Wide Variety of Battlefield Combat – Enlist realistic battle strategies including line fighting, artillery barrages, urban assaults, sniping, stealth and sabotage. Set charges, place explosives, sabotage enemy telegraph lines, destroy buildings, enemy fortifications and more to complete mission objectives.

·Authentic Weaponry of the Civil War – Authentic Civil War weapons transport gamers to the battlefields armed with repeating rifles, multiple types of grenades, exploding artillery, gatling guns, revolvers, bayonets, muskets, sabers and more!

·Awesome Cinematic War Experience – Battles come to life amidst exploding artillery, whistling bullets, falling comrades and much more!

·Incredible realism and historical accuracy -- Battlefield recreations are based on topographical maps and photographs from the actual battlegrounds. Each level begins with a documentary video describing the historic moments in each battle, movements of armies, local fights, historical photos and battle statistics.

Publisher:Activision Publishing, Inc.

Developer: Cauldron

Release Date: November 14, 2006

Platforms:PlayStationŇ2 computer entertainment system/
XBOXŇ 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft/PC-CD Rom

Suggested Retail Price: $49.99 – Xbox 360
$39.99 – PlayStation 2
$29.99 – PC-CD Rom

ESRB rating: “T” for Teen

Biskit64
11-11-06, 08:02 AM
Heck i would buy this.

K007
11-11-06, 08:08 AM
I dont hate WWII games..i am bored of doing the samething over and over with..pretty much the samething..If and only when the Engine/Graphics rock i play..otherwise..its done and over with. I played MOHAA/COD..then came the next set..its the samething..COD2..samething..

Tyr-Sog
11-11-06, 08:53 AM
I was just reading over at the xbox 360 forums that it's an easy beat. A good rental or a buy when the price drops a bit.

CaptNKILL
11-11-06, 09:12 AM
I wonder if it plays anything like the Battlegrounds mod for HL2 (set during the American Revolution). I havent played that in a while but it used to be pretty fun, especially considering how terrible you'd think it' be only having one shot every 30 seconds and having to run around stabbing people with a bayonet. :p

Tyr-Sog
11-11-06, 09:23 AM
What I have been reading is it's on the cod2 engine and sorta plays like it.

Mr. Hunt
11-11-06, 09:49 AM
Ok so... how does this have anything to do with WWII?

rudedog
11-11-06, 11:17 AM
Every time I hear how people are getting bored with WWII style games, they say they wish there where other periods covered ie the civil war, WW. I've even heard someone ask for a Spanish American setting.

I should have used bored instead of hate... sorry guys.

K007
11-11-06, 09:00 PM
What I have been reading is it's on the cod2 engine and sorta plays like it.

ew...

johnkeel105
11-11-06, 11:06 PM
Well it looks interesting. I would give the demo a shot if there will be one. The graphics dont appear to be on the highest settings or that may be the highest. Interesting...

six_storm
11-15-06, 09:47 AM
I remember when CoD first came out along with a few MoH titles. They were great games, don't get me wrong, but then a flood of WWII titles started coming out. How many can you make out of WWII?

Repitition < Variety

Banko
11-15-06, 10:18 AM
I still say they should make another Japan side game, because honestly Pacific Assault sucked big time... Maybe Call of Duty 5 will do that, since 4 seems to be modern combat.