PDA

View Full Version : 8800 GTX Electrical Noise Under Load

The Asgard
11-11-06, 01:52 PM
Hi,
Just installed my 8800 GTX and I noticed while running 3D Mark or any game I can hear a slight buzzing noise. Previously I had 2x GTO's running in SLI and they were silent. I have heard something similiar on one of my X1900XT. Definately coming from the card and not the Seasonic 600W. It's on a water cooled rig which is totally silent hence why I can hear it.

The Fan is silent BTW

** Help **

Can anyone else confirm this noise from their 8800GTX?

One person has got the same problem. I would appreciate anyone with a 8800 having a listen to their card while in windows and then running in 3D to see if there card makes a whine/chirp/buzzing/squeal sound. Hard to describe. If its a general problem I'll keep the card otherwise I'll send it back for a replacement.

Love the card just drving me nuts

Thanks

|MaguS|
11-11-06, 01:58 PM
It's the fan kicking into gear... It's louder then normal but not that bad. I can't hear mine over my 5 case fans...

OWA
11-11-06, 02:04 PM
Initially, I thought I had a buzzing come from mine but it ended up being my OCZ 700W PSU. It sounded like it was from the cards but eventually I found the fan on the PSU was spinnning so fast it was causing it. Now that I've got a 1000W PSU, I don't hear anything from the cards.

agentkay
11-11-06, 03:06 PM
Can anyone else confirm this noise from their 8800GTX?

One person has got the same problem. I would appreciate anyone with a 8800 having a listen to their card while in windows and then running in 3D to see if there card makes a whine/chirp/buzzing/squeal sound. Hard to describe. If its a general problem I'll keep the card otherwise I'll send it back for a replacement.

I hear the same sound and it does sound as it would come from the caps near the power connectors. The sound even slightly changes the pitch as the framerate changes in rthdribl. Ive been told that the Asus P5B boards make such sounds as well, but it does seem to be coming from the card, and not the Southbridge.

My GTX is connected directly with two PCIe 6pins connectors (2*18amps), but Ill use the the Y-cables and connect them to the molex connectors and see if it will have an effect on the sound.

Dazz
11-11-06, 03:17 PM
I get this some times with my Dual 7800GTX cards with a 700w PSU. However i have only ever noticed this in 3D mark.

The Asgard
11-11-06, 04:05 PM
It's the fan kicking into gear... It's louder then normal but not that bad. I can't hear mine over my 5 case fans...

Definatley not the fan because the noise is still there if I stop the fan with my finger.

The Asgard
11-11-06, 04:06 PM
I hear the same sound and it does sound as it would come from the caps near the power connectors. The sound even slightly changes the pitch as the framerate changes in rthdribl. Ive been told that the Asus P5B boards make such sounds as well, but it does seem to be coming from the card, and not the Southbridge.

My GTX is connected directly with two PCIe 6pins connectors (2*18amps), but Ill use the the Y-cables and connect them to the molex connectors and see if it will have an effect on the sound.

I'll try the same thing.

MikeC
11-11-06, 04:49 PM

I was experiencing the same thing with the EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX when it was installed on a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 motherboard. I too thought the sound was coming from the graphics card, but it may have been coming from the motherboard. I didn't hear it when I installed the card on the EVGA nForce 680i mobo.

GamblerFEXonlin
11-11-06, 04:59 PM
When I transfer files over my gigabit ethernet I get high pitched electrical noise from my computer. My new Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 with core 2 e6600 and intel 965 express chipset and a XFX geforce 7900 GT 470 is idling with a continous high pitched noise. Seems to come from the area with power regulators on the motherboard.

Is this cheaply insulated components or badly built PCB? I have read one could spray the components with something sticky to silence them. This was a specialized spray - don't do anything rash!

The Asgard
11-11-06, 06:53 PM
Well I decided to put the card in my Badaxe which is now in my media server and it didn't make the strange noise I have been hearing. Anyway to cut a long story short its coming from my Seasonic 600W. Funny thing is the PSU was the first thing I thought I had checked. The 600W Seasonic in my MCE doesn't make the same noise. PSU's I can sort we have loads at work so no hassle in the end. Now I can enjoy the card.

Thanks for the help peeps. Its much appreciated

technoid
11-11-06, 09:13 PM
Well I decided to put the card in my Badaxe which is now in my media server and it didn't make the strange noise I have been hearing. Anyway to cut a long story short its coming from my Seasonic 600W. Funny thing is the PSU was the first thing I thought I had checked. The 600W Seasonic in my MCE doesn't make the same noise. PSU's I can sort we have loads at work so no hassle in the end. Now I can enjoy the card.

Thanks for the help peeps. Its much appreciated

I'm looking at Seasonic Power Supplies now, what model is it?

Thanks.

ArrowMk84
11-11-06, 09:47 PM
I've noticed this noise as well when running RTHDRIBL and ShaderMark 2.1. My rig is in my sig.

The Asgard
11-12-06, 02:35 AM
I'm looking at Seasonic Power Supplies now, what model is it?

Thanks.

600W non modular. A current model. I have another Seasonic 600W that doesn't make the sound.

Going to try a tagan 580 tommorrow. This current must really strain the PSU my Seasonic was fine with 2x GTO's in SLI

agentkay
11-12-06, 06:32 AM
I was experiencing the same thing with the EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX when it was installed on a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 motherboard. I too thought the sound was coming from the graphics card, but it may have been coming from the motherboard. I didn't hear it when I installed the card on the EVGA nForce 680i mobo.

Thanks for the info Mike. This is not a co-incidence when you, GamblerFEX, Canibus and me all heard this sound on a P965 board. Seems like it is indeed the P965 boards or in some cases the PSU. In my case its not the PSU, though.

tijean
11-13-06, 08:35 PM
Hi..... I also heard the eletric noise and it's coming from the card.

I'm kind of worry, a friend who know about elecronic told me it's a very bad sign, bad design and would lead to failure eventually ??

Anybody can confirm ?