PDA

View Full Version : Razer Barracuda™ AC-1 Gaming Audio Card

Pages : [1] 2 3

nekrosoft13
11-11-06, 09:00 PM
WTF

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/29-153-001-01.JPG

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/29-153-001-02.jpg

http://www.razerzone.com/Products/Gaming-Audio/Razer-Barracuda-AC1-Gaming-Sound-Card/

The Razer Barracuda™ AC-1 Gaming Audio Card features a 7.1 channel output, 24 bit audio technology and unprecedented 117dB SNR (output).

The 117dB Signal to Noise Ratio (output) specification clearly outperforms all current soundcards in the market that only perform up to an average of 105dB. The Razer Barracuda AC-1 Gaming Audio Card is the world’s first gaming audio card that performs up to a 117dB SNR.

Gaming-specific positional audio, Powered by Razer Fidelity™, allows gamers to take advantage of an expanded dynamic soundstage for gaming tuned frequencies with Razer ESP™ (Enhanced Sonic Perception™). The in-built audio chip processes and optimizes audio signals from games to provide the ultimate positional gaming audio experience through the Razer 3D (720°) Positional Gaming Audio Engine™.

The Passive EMI shield™ minimizes electromagnetic interference (EMI) by preventing unwanted interference from graphics cards and other electrical devices that may affect the gaming audio performance.

The Razer Barracuda AC-1 Gaming Audio Card also features optimized proprietary software drivers to provide for the prioritization of enhanced gaming audio signals while leaving as small a memory footprint as possible.

Razer HD-DAI™ (High Definition—Dedicated Audio Interface) further optimizes the Razer Barracuda IAS gaming audio experience by allowing for a proprietary connection for optimized signal transmission when used with the Razer Barracuda HP-1 Gaming Headphones.

Technical Specifications
Coming soon.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829153001

CaptNKILL
11-11-06, 09:46 PM
hmmm...

Thats different.

And what the hell. No specs or even any pictures of the accessories or box (or how to plug in analog speakers) but its already for sale for $200. :p

tacos4me
11-11-06, 10:14 PM
Wonder what all the pluggies on the back of the card are for..

stevemedes
11-11-06, 11:06 PM
I read about it in CGW magazine like 1-2 months ago. Wonder how it is.

nekrosoft13
11-11-06, 11:07 PM
yeah, you can buy it from newegg

CaptNKILL
11-12-06, 12:34 AM
It just blows my mind that they dont have any specifications, pictures or explanation of how it works (since theres a big DVI looking connector on the back, and no analog outs) but its already for sale.

Really, why wouldn't the manufacturer of the card have specs? :rofl

I hope its good though. We need more competition in the sound card market.

nekrosoft13
11-12-06, 12:38 AM
it better be good with 200 dollar price tag

pkirby11
11-12-06, 01:14 AM
It just blows my mind that they dont have any specifications, pictures or explanation of how it works (since theres a big DVI looking connector on the back, and no analog outs) but its already for sale.

Really, why wouldn't the manufacturer of the card have specs? :rofl

I hope its good though. We need more competition in the sound card market.

Here's the little bit I understand so far, thinking of picking it up and trying it. Sounds like an interesting idea and quite frankly I'm tired of Creative dominating the sound market. :p If I get it, I'll let you guys know how it is. With pics :)

Any how the DVI port is for the headset they sell, I guess it makes the sound transfer clearer.

Update, been hearing some good reviews so I just placed an order for them. I'm kind of curious as to how they sound, I really want to get a way from Sound Blaster but of course on board audio is such a drag. Let you know how they work out and hey I can always return them. :)

OrangeBlast
11-12-06, 01:41 AM
very interesting! I want to know more.....and want to hear some reviews....

what about EAX though? alot of games support just EAX...what like 4.0 now or something...I'm sure this card couldn't do that...so no software supports the HW this thing has to offer..

pkirby11
11-12-06, 01:45 AM
very interesting! I want to know more.....and want to hear some reviews....

what about EAX though? alot of games support just EAX...what like 4.0 now or something...I'm sure this card couldn't do that...so no software supports the HW this thing has to offer..

Yeah, I thought about that but see thats the problem with computer sound these days, no multi sound card options. Most game designers go with Creative and EAX, guess I want to be different! :D

Down with the man! (lee63)

Okay sorry, I will let you know what I think of both the head set and the sound card when I get it, along with some pics. :)

CaptNKILL
11-12-06, 05:21 AM
If it has OpenAL support i think thats all it needs to fully support hardware sound (and any kind of environmental effects) in the future.

Directsound and DirectSound3d will be totally gone in Vista (all previous games with hardware sound will be dropped to software mode). The only games that will continue to use hardware sound (and eax) are OpenAL games.

I don't know much more about it than that, but I imagine if it has full OpenAL support, it'll be able to do any kind of EAX or hardware effects you'll ever need.

If it doesnt do OpenAL, its going to flop once vista comes out.

I wonder if it does DDL encoding though. They put 2 optical jacks on it. Thats a pretty huge selling point right now, if it has both openAL support, DDL and good quality (and fast) sound processing overall, this thing will definitely be competition for creative.

... but we have no specs at all, so who the hell knows. :p

BrianG
11-12-06, 09:57 AM
Given the timing of the release, the sticker over the chip, the specs we do have and the board layout, this card is an C-Media Oxygen HD based product. They may have given the drivers a proprietary interface to differentiate the card from others about to hit the market. I like the idea of a breakout cable to quick disco your main speakers and use the front audio ports for LAN parties. The internal connectors are probably the digital I/O expansion port and CD in/out. The pics do not show a front panel audio connection, but that may be on the side hidden from view.

I have an Auzentech X-Meridian. I should be installing it today and the pending review will be posted at another site...

nekrosoft13
11-12-06, 12:24 PM
link me to that x-meridian review, i might get that card

BrianG
11-12-06, 03:29 PM
link me to that x-meridian review, i might get that card
I'll let you know. Publish date is probably a week or two out, but what I will say now is that the X-Meridian has remedied nearly all of the issues that irked me about the X-Plosion. Very nice.

pkirby11
11-12-06, 04:08 PM
If it has OpenAL support i think thats all it needs to fully support hardware sound (and any kind of environmental effects) in the future.

Directsound and DirectSound3d will be totally gone in Vista (all previous games with hardware sound will be dropped to software mode). The only games that will continue to use hardware sound (and eax) are OpenAL games.

I don't know much more about it than that, but I imagine if it has full OpenAL support, it'll be able to do any kind of EAX or hardware effects you'll ever need.

If it doesnt do OpenAL, its going to flop once vista comes out.

I wonder if it does DDL encoding though. They put 2 optical jacks on it. Thats a pretty huge selling point right now, if it has both openAL support, DDL and good quality (and fast) sound processing overall, this thing will definitely be competition for creative.

... but we have no specs at all, so who the hell knows. :p

Well when I get it this week, I'll give you guys a full run down of what I think. And in the end if it sucks, I'll return it but the biggest selling point to me was the optical jacks. I'm so sick of Creatives analog crap.

So I'll let you all know if it's worth looking at or not. Till then, there aren't many reviews out there, only previews.

CaptNKILL
11-12-06, 04:34 PM
Well when I get it this week, I'll give you guys a full run down of what I think. And in the end if it sucks, I'll return it but the biggest selling point to me was the optical jacks. I'm so sick of Creatives analog crap.

So I'll let you all know if it's worth looking at or not. Till then, there aren't many reviews out there, only previews.
Remember, optical\digital wont give you surround sound unless you're watching a DVD or the card supports DDL or DTS encoding.

If the card has DDL or DTS encoding, it'll live on. If it doesn't, it better have some other very very interesting features or it'll just get ignored.

... especially when X-Fi and Auzentech cards can be purchased for half the price.

nekrosoft13
11-12-06, 05:23 PM
I'll let you know. Publish date is probably a week or two out, but what I will say now is that the X-Meridian has remedied nearly all of the issues that irked me about the X-Plosion. Very nice.

did they actually supply new drivers?

i remmeber x-plosion had horrible driver support, last driver release was in June, it was in a beta driver dated from january

BrianG
11-12-06, 06:33 PM
did they actually supply new drivers?

i remmeber x-plosion had horrible driver support, last driver release was in June, it was in a beta driver dated from january
You know, I am not sure. I am using x64 and the latest beta. It was running quite well, other than the DDL loss of sync bug that forced me into PCM mode when not gaming.

Drivers for this card seem very polished, comparitively. Good times.

pkirby11
11-12-06, 07:36 PM
Remember, optical\digital wont give you surround sound unless you're watching a DVD or the card supports DDL or DTS encoding.

If the card has DDL or DTS encoding, it'll live on. If it doesn't, it better have some other very very interesting features or it'll just get ignored.

... especially when X-Fi and Auzentech cards can be purchased for half the price.

Yeah, I understand althought it's not that exspensive if it has some good features. The higher creative cards are exspensive and the Auzentech is around the same as the Razer. The headphones are one of the biggest things that interest me.

Really just kind of interested in it, I've been reading previews for a while and I'd like to see how it performs. I could wait but that makes to much sense. :)

CaptNKILL
11-12-06, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I understand althought it's not that exspensive if it has some good features. The higher creative cards are exspensive and the Auzentech is around the same as the Razer. The headphones are one of the biggest things that interest me.

Really just kind of interested in it, I've been reading previews for a while and I'd like to see how it performs. I could wait but that makes to much sense. :)
I didnt realize the X-Meridian was in the $200 range. I thought it was as cheap as the x-plosion.

Whats the main difference between the two? $100 is quite a huge price difference.

nekrosoft13
11-12-06, 09:11 PM
its the best sound card ;)

MikeC
11-13-06, 09:24 PM
Brian Cochran has been working on our Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 review. He hopes to have it finished by the end of the week. Stay Tuned :)

superklye
11-13-06, 09:34 PM
If only there was someway to SLI different brands of soundcards to get the best of both.

nekrosoft13
11-13-06, 09:56 PM
Brian Cochran has been working on our Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 review. He hopes to have it finished by the end of the week. Stay Tuned :)

thanks, can't wait ;)

pkirby11
11-13-06, 11:03 PM
I didnt realize the X-Meridian was in the $200 range. I thought it was as cheap as the x-plosion.

Whats the main difference between the two? $100 is quite a huge price difference.

It's $189.99 on Newegg.com, normally $199.99 so it's not really any less expensive. I've heard nothing but good things about the headset, which is my main resaon for purchasing it. I really think that the two combined will be awesome, what worries me though is the driver support. As far as I know right now most magazine companies couldn't review the AC-1 because there were no drivers. Wouldn't imagine a product would ship with no drivers I hope, otherwise I have a $200 paper weight. :D

I'll give you guys some feed back when I get it, I'll let you all know how it sounds especially with the headset. I look forward to it.