PDA

View Full Version : New PC Questions for the Experts

Arioch
11-11-06, 08:45 PM
I was wondering if some of you familiar with the requirements of G80 PCs could tell me if either of these power supplies would be good for a 8800GTX SLI setup going into a Coolermaster 830 case and which is better:

Enermax EGA1000EWL Galaxy 1000

or

PC Power & Cooling TURBO-COOL 850

Also, I plan on keeping this same PC for about 2 years with maybe a video card update in a year so which would be better for me as a CPU:

Core 2 Duo X6800 Extreme Edition with Factory OverClocked to 3.46GHz

or

Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Processor (Quad Core)

As I understand it Alan Wake, which is a ways off, and Crysis will be optimized for quad core but not much else so I am not sure if the faster dual core is better for me for pure gaming needs or the quad core.

Thanks for any input! :D

hirantha
11-11-06, 09:17 PM
an nVIDIA representative said Anything above 750 should be good for SLI.

Imbroglio
11-12-06, 10:03 AM
pcp&c 850w psu will be more than enough, and you are less likely to have issues with that than the enermax galaxy series, they've been having quite a few units burn out.

as far as your processors are concerned, i would go with quad if you can hold off a little while longer, as dual core is not yet even optimized with any game, they are all single threaded. so dual core is essentially the same as quad core for gaming because no game takes advantage of more than 1 core atm. i'm saying quad and don't look back. plus once valve updates their engine to be multithreaded, quad offers almost triple the performance while dual core offers like 30% more.

Arioch
11-12-06, 05:48 PM
I was looking at the list of certified power supplies at slizone and it was not on the list for 8800GTX. I have heard that these people make pretty good power supplies but I wonder how much more power is being consumed by a quad core as opposed to a dual core. The rest of the system will probably consist of a Raptor 10K HD, SB Xifi Fatality, DVD and CD drives, 3.5" floppy, and perhaps a physics board at some point.

ViN86
11-12-06, 08:50 PM
a thermaltake 850W PSU is on the list for 8800GTX SLi, so i wouldnt be too worried about that. PC Power and Cooling makes the best PSUs on the market ;)

Imbroglio
11-12-06, 09:16 PM
Power Consumption Comparison (http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTIxMyw5LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==)

PSU Calculator (http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp) --- if you want to make sure you have enough power :D