PDA

View Full Version : Question About the 8800

pkirby11
11-12-06, 12:37 AM
Okay first off, I don't want this to become a flame thread nor do I mean to trash ATI. I just wanted to say that I recently joined the green team again after almost a year off. For some reason I had it with NVIDIA and was determined to go with ATI, so I went CrossFire X1900's with the X3200 motherboard. To make a long story short, ATI you have a great product but your multi GPU support sucks! :D

Any ways, to hold me over for a bit I bought a 7950GX2. I know, why now when I could've bought a 8800, well because I knew prices would be gouged and I want to wait for a single dual GPU solution. I like SLI but I hate having to tie up two slots in my computer just to run it. I love the idea of the 7950GX2 and I hope NVIDIA continues the tradition. So any ways, I'm happy to be back with NVIDIA, there drivers are so much more top notch than ATI. Honestly I get better gaming performance in most games with the one 7950GX2 then I did with the x1900s in Crossfire. Not to mention the noise.

Okay, I'm sorry again I don't mean to trash ATI. They make great cards, I really believe that. They just need to get a better driver development team. So this is my main reason for posting, in most of the 8800GTX reviews I got the impression that NVIDIA did go with a fully Unified Shader Architechture, how ever the word stream processors kept getting thrown in there too. So what I wanted to know, is the G80 fully USA? If so then I'm very happy, I was a little disapointed that it wouldn't be and as far as I could tell that was going to make a big difference in the G80 DX10 performance.

So any info would be great and I will keep looking into reviews. I plan on waiting at least until the Summer of 07 before I upgrade again, but it will be a major upgrade. Again thanks in advance for the clearification.

fivefeet8
11-12-06, 12:54 AM
All 128 Stream Processors in the G80 can do work on Vertex, Pixel, or Geometry data and load balance between them to keep all Processors working where they are needed. That pretty much defines a Unified Shader Architecture. ;)

pkirby11
11-12-06, 12:57 AM
All 128 Stream Processors in the G80 can do work on Vertex, Pixel, or Geometry data and load balance between them to keep all Processors working where they are needed. That pretty much defines a Unified Shader Architecture. ;)

Thanks, that's what I got from the reading that I did. But for some reason when they kept jumping around between the two I easly got confused. Must have been one of those days, that and I was reading the reviews while working. :D

Maverickman
11-12-06, 08:35 AM
ATI has mostly been known for having better image quality than Nvidia. Nvidia had improved its IQ with the release of the GeForce 7 series. It has really stepped up its IQ with the GeForce 8 series. I can hardly tell the difference between ATI and Nvidia anymore. Also, you can now use HDR and AA on Nvidia's cards. Nvidia is really the leader in graphics technology. Remember that ATI led the way for almost two years. This industry is constantly changing, but it will be tough for ATI to get the performance crown back unless R600 delivers.

OWA
11-12-06, 12:04 PM
They're both green now! It's soooo confusing! :) Edit: Oops, guess I need to change my sig to reflect that.

pkirby11
11-12-06, 02:57 PM
They're both green now! It's soooo confusing! :) Edit: Oops, guess I need to change my sig to reflect that.

:lol2: True dat, I guess I need to be more specific in the future. Again my post wasn't really to trash ATI, I was just amazed at the difference in quality of SLI compared to Crossfire and it really just boils down to one thing, the drivers. NVIDIA just has superior drivers over ATI right now.