PDA

View Full Version : Calling jAkUp out

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

kev13dd
11-12-06, 12:39 AM
First off, just to establish the fact, this is NOT a "360 vs PS3 vs Wii" thing, this is ONLY a "Next Gen Console" thing

http://www.xb360info.com/images/halo3_ss.jpg

A year and two months ago jakUP said:

I've said it before, and I will say it again. Do not expect Next Gen Console Titles to look much better than that. It's not happening. Put this quote in your sig if you have to, you will see.

I actually had it in my sig for the longest time, and now that Gears of War and COD3 have come out, I think it's finally time to ponder if jakUp was right, or should have to admit his wrong

K

jAkUp
11-12-06, 01:11 AM
Next gen games do not look much better than that. Nor do the latest PC games. I stand by my statement. Don't let that low resolution JPEG fool you.

Get back to me in another year I don't think I'm wrong yet. Do the latest PC and console games look a lot better than the above screenshot? Not really.

Here is the thread in question:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57429
I will admit if I am wrong, but I don't believe I am wrong.

Which screenie do you guys think looks the best? Are any of these games significatly better looking than the other?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=21896&stc=1&d=1163317014

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=21897&stc=1&d=1163317228

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=21890&d=1163315271

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=21895&stc=1&d=1163316665

Bearclaw
11-12-06, 01:26 AM
Haha, this is funny.

Zelda_fan
11-12-06, 01:41 AM
Next gen games do not look much better than that. Nor do the latest PC games. I stand by my statement. Don't let that low resolution JPEG fool you.

Get back to me in another year I don't think I'm wrong yet. Do the latest PC and console games look a lot better than the above screenshot? Not really.

Here is the thread in question:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57429
I will admit if I am wrong, but I don't believe I am wrong.

Which screenie do you guys think looks the best? Are any of these games significatly better looking than the other?

Jackup, do you have an xbox360? Because I do, and the games look a hell of a lot better than the screenshots you posted.

jAkUp
11-12-06, 01:45 AM
Those are XB360 screenshots. I just grabbed some random screenshots off IGN. Funny how everyone claims their XB360 looks better. These are off an XB360! These screenshots are not off the special edition Super NES version. I tried to grab screenshots with some actual geometry. Not just a cutscene or a characters face.

I don't currently own an XB360, but I've played them enough on hi-def displays to know what to expect. And yes I have played GoW, GRAW, Burnout, and Fight Night. (Extensively Fight night, GRAW and Burnout, but not COD3, plenty of COD2 though)

I even posted a FEAR PC Screenshot. And I have played that enough to know my Fear graphics do not look much better than that. As a matter of fact, not even really that much better than that "leaked" Halo 3 screenshot if not worse.

nekrosoft13
11-12-06, 01:48 AM
i played x360 at friends house also, i really don't see anything to brag about.

MustangSVT
11-12-06, 02:00 AM
I'm a big PC fanboy and like to play on my Dell 24" at 1920x1200 and brag about it and all that. Now given Oblivion and NWN2 and Dark Messiah and Company of Heroes and Prey look amazing at high res on my LCD. All that being said, Gears of War actually looks ridiculously amazing and much better than that JPEG that's posted.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=21896&stc=1&d=1163317014

jAkUp
11-12-06, 02:04 AM
I'm a big PC fanboy and like to play on my Dell 24" at 1920x1200 and brag about it and all that. Now given Oblivion and NWN2 and Dark Messiah and Company of Heroes and Prey look amazing at high res on my LCD. All that being said, Gears of War actually looks ridiculously amazing and much better than that JPEG that's posted.

Ok fair enough, really I just want your guys's opinion because honostly, I don't think any of the games look that much better than the JPEG that was posted. GoW looks fantastic, don't get me wrong, but so does that JPEG. It has self shadows on weapons, real time shadows on geometry, and possibly even soft shadows Not to mention decent texture resolutions to boot.

toxikneedle
11-12-06, 02:11 AM
Ok fair enough, really I just want your guys's opinion because honostly, I don't think any of the games look that much better than the JPEG that was posted. GoW looks fantastic, don't get me wrong, but so does that JPEG. It has self shadows on weapons, real time shadows on geometry, and possibly even soft shadows.
That screenshot was noted to be fake I believe. I always thought it looked like one of those "ingame concept art" pics that always look better than actual gameplay, but closely resemble it.... kinda like target videos. But like you said, that pic is a low-res jpg, so it's hard to compare it really.

MustangSVT
11-12-06, 02:54 AM
I'm just saying, GoW really impressed the hell out of me (which is a hard thing to do since the last game that impressed was Dark Messiah at 1920x1200 and before that it was when I first got Project Gotham Racing 3). I haven't been as impressed since I got Fight Night 3 and PGR3. The motion and fluidity and all that is nice too. Maybe depends on what TV you use, though I'm sure it should look great on any HDTV. I play on a 52" LCoS 720p HDTV fyi. I wonder how good Unreal 2007 and Crysis will look. Can't wait.

AdmiralHalsey..
11-12-06, 04:00 AM
Yeah, I hate consoles, but they're surpassing all but the highest pc's in IQ and performance, just a fact, and a sad one...

Gaco
11-12-06, 05:35 AM
Yeah, I hate consoles, but they're surpassing all but the highest pc's in IQ and performance, just a fact, and a sad one...

In a years time the consoles will still be the same but many more people will have faster processors and G80/ATI's nextgen. In two and three years time the average gamer PC will long have surpassed the consoles.. I mean look at the G80 it has already exceeded the PS3 before it's even out. Looking at the slim amount of interesting titles for PS3 as well as X360, we have absolutely nothing to worry about :)

On topic I think it's very hard to judge anything based on that screenshot, which probably is a concept anyway :|

Tyr-Sog
11-12-06, 07:51 AM
In a years time the consoles will still be the same but many more people will have faster processors and G80/ATI's nextgen. In two and three years time the average gamer PC will long have surpassed the consoles.. I mean look at the G80 it has already exceeded the PS3 before it's even out. Looking at the slim amount of interesting titles for PS3 as well as X360, we have absolutely nothing to worry about :)

Even if the pc hardware surpasses the console hardware by a few generations, it really doesn't matter. Most PC games are coded like such crap they hardly take advntage of the latest and greatest hardware under the hood. So it seems anyways.

K007
11-12-06, 08:34 AM
First off, just to establish the fact, this is NOT a "360 vs PS3 vs Wii" thing, this is ONLY a "Next Gen Console" thing

http://www.xb360info.com/images/halo3_ss.jpg

A year and two months ago jakUP said:

I actually had it in my sig for the longest time, and now that Gears of War and COD3 have come out, I think it's finally time to ponder if jakUp was right, or should have to admit his wrong

K

that shot reminds me of AVP2 graphics...if thats next gen on console..i feel very sad for console gamers..atlest for those who are after the hq graphics.

Bah!
11-12-06, 09:04 AM
Gears of War is the best looking game i've ever seen...period. It makes that .jpeg look like a NES game.

And before someone wants to call me an Xbox fanboy or whatever, i don't even own one and i'm typically a PC gamer.

Mathesar
11-12-06, 09:07 AM
I just got to Act 3 in GOW and honestly this game has the best graphics ive ever witnessed on PC or 360. The rain & lighting effects in Act 3 (The abandoned factory) are mind boggling.

retsam
11-12-06, 09:13 AM
why would anyone want to start a thread like this is beyond me...jakup is the most valuable member on this site. whether hes right or wrong, who cares, hes human and who the hell would sit around and wait to prove a point for this long...gee get a life.

K007
11-12-06, 09:23 AM
Gears of War is the best looking game i've ever seen...period. It makes that .jpeg look like a NES game.

And before someone wants to call me an Xbox fanboy or whatever, i don't even own one and i'm typically a PC gamer.

Thanks to its Engine..which is from a PC Game..and will look better just as well on the PC

Bah!
11-12-06, 09:27 AM
why would anyone want to start a thread like this is beyond me...jakup is the most valuable member on this site. whether hes right or wrong, who cares hes human and who the hell would sit around and wait to prove a point for this long...gee get a life.

On one hand i agree, but on the other hand it's making a point about something that is done all the time and people get a pass on it.

People constantly make predictions, or say something off the wall and tell you to quote them or check back when it happens, and we all forget and nothing ever comes of it.

Jakup asked for this thread when he said what he said, so why would you be upset that someone actually followed through with it? He even says, "put it in your sig, you will see." basically telling the person he was talking to they were wrong.

So yeah, on one hand it's jAkUp and everyone likes him and noone wants to give him a hard time, but on the other hand i wish people would do this stuff more often. You might find people on the net would stop using "you'll see" type arguments to prove their point if they actually thought people would hold them to their statments later on.

Thanks to its Engine..which is from a PC Game..and will look better just as well on the PC

Maybe, maybe not. The engine isn't everything. Roboblitz doesn't look as good as GoW, Vampire T.M. doesn't look as good as HL2. Not to mention we don't even know that this game will come to the PC, and by the time it does, will other games start looking better?

Besides, what does your comment have to do with the fact the game looks *way* better than that screenshot, and anything else on any system atm? I personally don't care what games might look better down the road, of the games that are out right this minute, nothing comes close.

Mathesar
11-12-06, 09:32 AM

It will be interesting to see how PCs version of GOW runs considering 360's version was built around its triple core configuration. (and it shows considering how good it runs).

Gaco
11-12-06, 09:57 AM
Even if the pc hardware surpasses the console hardware by a few generations, it really doesn't matter. Most PC games are coded like such crap they hardly take advntage of the latest and greatest hardware under the hood. So it seems anyways.

Vista and DX10 is going to change that to a certain degree where I think PC gaming will be more viable, though many people will not realize it and eat the console hype crap. That's just my opinion..

Ninjaman09
11-12-06, 10:02 AM
I'd have to agree with those praising GoW, I've never seen anything like it, on console or PC. In the third act while you're in the underground caverns, I remember several times thinking I was looking at a painting instead of a game.

a12ctic
11-12-06, 10:06 AM
The only reason gears of wars looks better to you is that you arent looking at the screen as close.

|MaguS|
11-12-06, 10:17 AM
I think people need to ignore GoW to justify the X360s graphical abilities because it doesn't pull off anything that the PC nor the PS3 can pull off. The graphics of GOW are thanks to the Unreal Engine 3 which looks incredible on all platforms.

And in all honesty, GOW did look better on a PC (again it was shown at E3-2K4 on a 6800U).

A game using an engine developed solely for the X360 would be a good benchmark, not a middle ware. So I think we will have to see how Halo 3 or Fable look on it.

Again, GOW would look the same no matter if it was running on the X360, PC or the PS3. They are all capable of its graphics thanks to its engine...

Marvel_us
11-12-06, 10:39 AM
The original screen shot wasn't a good choice to compare other games to.:o

Kinda hard to be for or against the original argument when there are a variety of screens and vids out for other games.