PDA

View Full Version : should I upgrade my s939 cpu or wait and upgrade to c2d rig?

AirtelGuy
11-12-06, 04:44 PM
my specs are in my rig, im thinking over replacing my opty 148 with a dual core opty 165 that is pretty cheap these days OR wait something like atleast 5-6 months and upgrade to a c2d system.

The reason im thinking over switching to dual core is beacuse in 5-6 months (about when crysis arrives) Ill want to buy a dx10 gpu (hopfully there will be a g80 refresh that will be at more reasonable prices and will be 80nm/65nm so it doesnt kill my psu) and my current cpu will bottleneck the **** of it.

Take notice im only 16-17 years old so Its not reasonable for me to upgrade my computer every once in a while(although I would want to [=, my current rig I only bought about 9 months ago thats why im waiting with the c2d rig if decide to buy it) so I want to make smart choices.

thanks. [=

Bearclaw
11-12-06, 04:54 PM
I would wait for Core 2 or see what your options are in 5-6 months. That's what I am doing. I hae had my current rig for about 6 months now and I also don't have the money to upgrade every month like some people do here, haha.

If you are going to upgrade then I would go for Core 2 right now. It is youe best bet. It is a bit pricey right now but it is the best out there right now.

CaptNKILL
11-12-06, 09:44 PM
Stick with what you've got for now. Dual Core is the way of the future but it doesn't do much in most current games. In fact you might even take a performance hit if you cant squeeze 2.9Ghz out of a dual core CPU... thats quite an overclock.

When you've got the $$$ go for a core 2 duo and a geforce 8 card. :)

AirtelGuy
11-13-06, 10:11 AM
Thanks, do you think that around april-may 2007 there will be any new cpus that would be worth getting? or will dual core c2d cpus will still be the thing to get?

or will there be anything couple months after that (h2 2007) that will be worth waiting for? because I dont want to buy something and a couple months later a brand new line of cpus will get out (just like happened to me with my s939 system and 4 months later c2d came out and I was bumbed like **** that I didnt wait).

when will quad core will become more mainstream with reasonable pricing?

my goal is to play crysis maxed out at 1680X1050 and even have som filters (16XAF and maybe 2/4XAA).

nekrosoft13
11-13-06, 10:38 AM
if you gonna wait till april-may 2007, just so you know DDR3 should be out in late spring early summer

AirtelGuy
11-13-06, 10:43 AM
which platform will support it? and does that mean that ddr2 prices gonna drop?

SH0DAN
11-14-06, 12:42 PM
my specs are in my rig, im thinking over replacing my opty 148 with a dual core opty 165 that is pretty cheap these days OR wait something like atleast 5-6 months and upgrade to a c2d system.

The reason im thinking over switching to dual core is beacuse in 5-6 months (about when crysis arrives) Ill want to buy a dx10 gpu (hopfully there will be a g80 refresh that will be at more reasonable prices and will be 80nm/65nm so it doesnt kill my psu) and my current cpu will bottleneck the **** of it.

Take notice im only 16-17 years old so Its not reasonable for me to upgrade my computer every once in a while(although I would want to [=, my current rig I only bought about 9 months ago thats why im waiting with the c2d rig if decide to buy it) so I want to make smart choices.

thanks. [=

Wait,what you have isnt exactly slow :)

vandalous
11-14-06, 05:47 PM
You should definitely wait. At the very least, the new AMD stuff will cause a price drop on the Core2Duos and Quads and you will benefit. Not only that but you'll get a chance to see how the 8800 cards fare through q1 of their retail life and see what shakes free (more freaky resistors? capacitor meltdown?). In either case, your current rig will keep you happy through your DX9 games til Crysis and the other next gen games come out.

AirtelGuy
11-15-06, 08:50 AM
yeah I know my current rig is fine for dx9 games, I will only upgrade when games like crysis start to come out.

My hopes that there will be a g81 that will be 65nm, less hotter and wont need a special psu (I know have a antec 500w and I dont want to but a new one), and gddr4 and maybe some more cool stuff on the core :D

I heard the ati r600 will have some new plug with the psu so its doesnt sound nice to me cause I dont want to buy a new psu.

I saw the new crysis vid from the 8800 launch that used the 8800gtx (not sure is it was sli), and the fps wasnt too high (looked like 20-30), well... when I buy a new rig I want it to play crysis in 1680X1050 maxed out with some filters so the g80 right now doesnt look so promising.