PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on Nvidia's incredibly successful 8800 launch!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Maverickman
11-12-06, 06:28 PM
Well, if you want a new 8800 GTX or GTS, they are definitely available. Nvidia really geared itself up for this launch. Of course, the ATI fanboys and Nvidia haters out there would like to point out the lack of DX 10 games and the problems with some of the 8800 GTX cards which was a manufacturing defect and not Nvidia's fault. The G80 is an incredible piece of hardware that will last for at least 2 years. You'll be tossing out your X1950XTX long before then!!! Any new hardware launch will have its share of hiccups, including driver glitches like the one on HL2. These will be fixed in future driver releases and performance will improve as well. You just can't beat Nvidia's driver support. And the IQ on the G80 is much improved as is the AA and AF.

If you can't afford the card, don't put it down. At least both G80 cards are available in abundant quantities. Remember the incredibly scarce X800 XT PE? I seem to recall the 9700 Pro which was another card ahead of its time. DX 9 games didn't come out for some time later. In fact, many reviewers have likened the G80 to the 9700 Pro. Maybe the R600 will be better, maybe not. If you want to wait for it or keep your current card, fine. However, if you want to peek at the future of gaming and enjoy excellent performance far superior to the competition, the G80 is for you.

Maverickman
11-12-06, 06:29 PM
Did I mention that the fan on the G80 is silent? I can't hear it, even under load. The X1900XTX I traded in for it was a LOT louder.

Intel17
11-12-06, 07:40 PM
Let's just wait and see how ATI's R600 fares, yes?

tweaked
11-12-06, 08:17 PM
nope.

the point i believe of the OP was this:

1. Hard launch: i could walk into a store in BFE Illinios and pick one up. it normally takes a month for new hardware to get here. this was the definitive HARD LAUNCH.

2. Good hardware: Nvidia addressed the primary complaint about their cards and have given the new generation the best image filtering seen yet.

how does waiting on the R600 to come out effect the success of the launch of this card?

it does not.

nrdstrm
11-12-06, 08:21 PM
I'm very happy with my GTX, however if I see that the R600 or G80 Refresh is a substantial enough improvement, I'll sell my GTX and upgrade again. This is ALWAYS how the hardware industry goes..I don't see why all of the sudden, people are slagging others for buying a monster video card that is out NOW...

CaptNKILL
11-12-06, 08:23 PM
I'm very happy with my GTX, however if I see that the R600 or G80 Refresh is a substantial enough improvement, I'll sell my GTX and upgrade again. This is ALWAYS how the hardware industry goes..I don't see why all of the sudden, people are slagging others for buying a monster video card that is out NOW...
I just loaded up Oblivion with a ridiculous amount of plugins, I want my friggin 8800GTX NOW. :p

sillyeagle
11-12-06, 08:48 PM
Did I mention that the fan on the G80 is silent? I can't hear it, even under load. The X1900XTX I traded in for it was a LOT louder.

Yeah after swapping out my 7800GT SLI for the 8800 and adding two case fans, a 90mm and a 120mm, my systm is still MUCH quieter than it was before.

noko
11-12-06, 08:53 PM
I am utterly impressed with the 8800 GTX/S launch and utter power these babies have. IMPRESSIVE! GREAT JOB NVIDIA!! Drivers appear to need work but for a utterly new breed of GPU I am even more amaze how good the drivers actually do work. VERY HAAPPY CAMPER :captnkill: (nana2)

hailNV
11-12-06, 08:54 PM
Well, if you want a new 8800 GTX or GTS, they are definitely available. Nvidia really geared itself up for this launch. Of course, the ATI fanboys and Nvidia haters out there would like to point out the lack of DX 10 games and the problems with some of the 8800 GTX cards which was a manufacturing defect and not Nvidia's fault. The G80 is an incredible piece of hardware that will last for at least 2 years. You'll be tossing out your X1950XTX long before then!!! Any new hardware launch will have its share of hiccups, including driver glitches like the one on HL2. These will be fixed in future driver releases and performance will improve as well. You just can't beat Nvidia's driver support. And the IQ on the G80 is much improved as is the AA and AF.

If you can't afford the card, don't put it down. At least both G80 cards are available in abundant quantities. Remember the incredibly scarce X800 XT PE? I seem to recall the 9700 Pro which was another card ahead of its time. DX 9 games didn't come out for some time later. In fact, many reviewers have likened the G80 to the 9700 Pro. Maybe the R600 will be better, maybe not. If you want to wait for it or keep your current card, fine. However, if you want to peek at the future of gaming and enjoy excellent performance far superior to the competition, the G80 is for you.

I simply love G80 GTX cards. But i must say that right now if you can affoard one Go out and buy one. But if you cant affoard to spend $$$ right away, you dont have to bcuz the Refresh of G80 is on the way and give it time for Good stuff DX10 titles to come out.

But another benefit of buying GTS or GTX right now is that you will see incredible improvement in your current titles. These new cards pwn your old ones unless you have SLI setup or GX2's.

But overall NVIDIA have done Wonderful Job, Its $650 Worth Spending.

firehawk
11-12-06, 09:07 PM
this is the first card since the 9800 pro that i feel is a genuine step up from the previouse generations card. i immediatly noticed a difference comeing from a 7800 gtx.

and this was also very easy to find and get within the launch window. i didnt have to preorder or seach around.

iam very happy with this card, and to think a month ago i was going to go back to ati cards :)

lets hope nvidia dosent screw use over with crappy driver releases

Maverickman
11-12-06, 10:50 PM
You guys definitely got the main ideas of this post:

1. Waiting for R600 DOES NOT affect the incredible success of this launch.

2. The G80 offers tangible performance gains in today's DX9 games.

3. The G80 will be equipped for future DX10 titles.

4. Minor driver glitches and problems are expected with any video card launch

5. The G80 cards are available TODAY and in QUANTITY.

6. Will R600 be available at launch? Who knows?

Slammin
11-13-06, 02:26 AM
Let's just wait and see how ATI's R600 fares, yes?

LOL, too funny! :captnkill:

hailNV
11-13-06, 02:44 AM
You guys definitely got the main ideas of this post:

1. Waiting for R600 DOES NOT affect the incredible success of this launch.

2. The G80 offers tangible performance gains in today's DX9 games.

3. The G80 will be equipped for future DX10 titles.

4. Minor driver glitches and problems are expected with any video card launch

5. The G80 cards are available TODAY and in QUANTITY.

6. Will R600 be available at launch? Who knows?

Amont these points 2 and 5 are my favourites, I want to play my current games to my full which G80 does it well. 5th Yes its available right now dont have to wait for R600. And by the time DX10 Titles come in Mass, There will be faster G80 available ( 2nd Generation). WAY TO GO NVIDIA.

shoman24v
11-13-06, 08:11 AM
I'd like to see an owner of an 8800GTX keep their card for 2 years. I bet it won't even be kept for 6 months. People who buy video cards that cost as much as a new Dell with LCD monitor don't keep their cards for 2 years. Why? Because it's life only lasts untill the next new product release.

Cyant
11-13-06, 08:27 AM
You are wrong.

I went from:
-Nvidia TNT(when my friend only sweared by 3Dfx and it lasted a lot longer than their card.)
-Geforce 2 GTS
-Radeon 9700 Pro
-Geforce 7800GT
-And now I am waiting for my 8800GTX.

So I changed 4 time since playing Quake 2 on Windows 95 on my AMD K6-2 400Mhz. I'm about to change a 5th time in 11 year... That's a bit over 2 year per card average don't you think? I always buy top of the line video cards and never been happier. people who buy low end pay less money per cards but they need to upgrade much more often than I am.

I wan't to run games at high quality... when I need to set some options to low then it's a sign I need a change. on a 21 inch CRT, 1024x768 dosen't cut it...

CaptNKILL
11-13-06, 08:37 AM
I'd like to see an owner of an 8800GTX keep their card for 2 years. I bet it won't even be kept for 6 months. People who buy video cards that cost as much as a new Dell with LCD monitor don't keep their cards for 2 years. Why? Because it's life only lasts untill the next new product release.
What do you mean its life? Its still going to be just as good in 6 months as it is right now.

The reason we tend to upgrade so fast is to stay ahead of the graphics curve. Not only that, but spending $150 every 6 months (by reselling the previous card) to ensure that you have the most powerful graphics card available will get you more bang for your buck than buying a $300 mid range card every year or two.

Think about it. After dropping money on one big purchase (like my $500 7900GTX order), its basically credit. As long as you keep upgrading and reselling, you're never going to spend $500-$600 straight out of your pocket again, and you'll always have the best.

I felt a little buyer's remorse after plunking down the $660 for my 8800GTX, but it really only cost me about $180 after selling my GX2. Considering the immense performance increase, its worth it. And this isnt even taking into account that I just sold my 2 1\2 year old 6800GT for $200 on ebay. Buy and resell often and you'll never spend a lot of money again... its just a matter of keeping up with the releases and not being too lazy to go through the whole sell-buy-install-setup procedure every time a new card comes out.

shoman24v
11-13-06, 08:43 AM
You're still selling it when something new comes out, so "it's life" relates to how long you own it.

CaptNKILL
11-13-06, 09:03 AM
You're still selling it when something new comes out, so "it's life" relates to how long you own it.
Oh, well then yes, this card will probably have a short life in my possession. The thing is, I'll probably spend less (out of my pocket) on 3-4 high end cards in the next 2 years than someone who buys 2 mid range $300 cards that get them far less performance.

Either way, I don't even really see the point of the comment about the card's life. Obviously the card only lasts until someone gets rid of it, and if you've got a couple hundred dollars set aside for this every year, you can afford to replace it and keep in the top range of performance... why wouldn't someone do this? It's obviously the best way to go if you want the most out of your games and your PC.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be plenty of people who have a gtx for years. Being the first card of its class, its going to be quite capable of providing a great gaming experience for a long time.

HYBRID
11-13-06, 03:32 PM
I agree with you Capt. in fact I do this with just about any of the parts I upgarde to example CPU, Memory, Vid Cards.
Its the only way I can stay with the latest greatest without paying full pop on parts evertime something new comes around. I just sold my GX2 on ebay for 450 and spent an additional 200.00 to buy the 8800GTX.

:captnkill:

skoprowski
11-13-06, 03:43 PM
Computers at this level are a hobby- not a need. If it's your hobby and not a need, then you upgrade because it interests you and you enjoy tinkering with your system. If you are complaining about how needless the 8800 is then obviously computers are not a hobby to you. If computers were just a need then we would all be typing on Intel Celeron systems with intergrated graphics.

I know a guy who is really into guitars- spends $1000 to $1500 on guitars all the time-- he has 10 of them. He buys and trades just like I do with computer parts. He spends more money than I do with his hobby than I do with computers. It's all how you look at it. A computer hobby is still cheaper than a lot of other hobbies.

Treason
11-13-06, 03:49 PM
AMD can only wish their R600 launch will be this successful. nVidia has set the standard bar for video card launches: Backing up their PR with immediate availability in retail stores.

Don't know how many of you saw this thread, but it sure tells the tale for the past couple of years:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79658

A101Sugar
11-13-06, 04:37 PM
A computer hobby is still cheaper than a lot of other hobbies.

I agree... too bad most people don't fell the same way :(

A101Sugar
11-13-06, 04:37 PM
A computer hobby is still cheaper than a lot of other hobbies.

I agree... too bad most people don't fell the same way (my parents... lol ) :(

hailNV
11-13-06, 04:38 PM

I can assure you as soon as something slight better comes out ( NVIDIA ONLY ) Ill make sure that i have that new product in my hands. And Ebay old ones.

CaptNKILL
11-13-06, 05:45 PM
I know a guy who is really into guitars- spends $1000 to $1500 on guitars all the time-- he has 10 of them. He buys and trades just like I do with computer parts. He spends more money than I do with his hobby than I do with computers. It's all how you look at it. A computer hobby is still cheaper than a lot of other hobbies.
Yep, computers arent that expensive really.

Ask some of the members here who tweak their cars how expensive computers are compared to that hobby and I assure you it'll be almost nothing. My brother buys some pretty damned expensive stuff when he upgrades his computer, but he has a crap load of money put into his truck as well.

I spend probably 95% of my non-working time on my PC, so it only makes sense to drop all my money into it.