PDA

View Full Version : CD repair

OldOfEvil
11-13-06, 06:38 AM
I've been moving around the last year or two and finaly managed to get a new computer. Almost all of my back up DVD/CDs are scratched to all hell and either don't read some parts, or nothing at all. Even worse, some of my older games are in bad shape now too.. System Shock 2, Homeworld, Fallout..

Whats the best way to resurface these discs, I've heard of disk doctor, but am not sure how good it works. Also, do they sell "tough" CD//DVD media that has more protective compostion to it?

CaptNKILL
11-13-06, 07:09 AM
I've heard people say that tooth paste works for "repairing" scratched disks... I've never tried it though, and I don't know how it'd be done.

Imbroglio
11-13-06, 09:09 AM
toothpaste works well, just make sure to wipe it on and off from the inside to the outside of the disc, otherwise you can scratch it all to hell and it will be worthless. as far as protection goes, they have these condom like thingys that go on the bottom of the disk that a lot of ppl swear by that i used to sell at staples, like a year and a half ago, forgot the name of them though, sorry i couldn't be more help

Starscream
11-13-06, 12:02 PM
I use a disc doctor all the time at work.

It does a GREAT job.

Roadhog
11-13-06, 12:09 PM
cover the cd in chap stick, then wipe it clean. Should work pretty good after that. :D

OldOfEvil
11-13-06, 11:21 PM
Hrmm, toothpaste and chapstick.. interesting.

Is the electric disk doctor better than regular one?

Stoneyguy
11-13-06, 11:39 PM
no, it's not any better, but it is less of a hassle.

Roadhog
11-14-06, 12:10 AM
im serious about the chap stick thing, it really works.

EDIT: Hair gel also seems to work.

http://www.om3ga.co.uk/2006/07/27/scratched-cds-no-problem/

weeds
11-14-06, 01:02 AM
ScratchX works really well, you can get it at your local auto parts store. Use it by hand or Ive even been able to repair disks that were severly scratched with ScratchX and a buffer. Sounds funny but It really works well.

http://www.meguiars.com/?auto-paint-cleaners/ScratchX

supra
11-14-06, 01:10 AM
ScratchX works really well, you can get it at your local auto parts store. Use it by hand or Ive even been able to repair disks that were severly scratched with ScratchX and a buffer. Sounds funny but It really works well.

i use scratchx too. anything meguiars is awesome (nana2)

weeds
11-14-06, 01:31 AM
i use scratchx too. anything meguiars is awesome (nana2)

Damn straight..:) Meguiars products are really good.

Bman212121
11-14-06, 01:54 AM
toothpaste works well, just make sure to wipe it on and off from the inside to the outside of the disc, otherwise you can scratch it all to hell and it will be worthless. as far as protection goes, they have these condom like thingys that go on the bottom of the disk that a lot of ppl swear by that i used to sell at staples, like a year and a half ago, forgot the name of them though, sorry i couldn't be more help

I've seen those things also, I've always wondered about them since they add another layer for the disc to go through.

One name is D Skin. Like Imbroglio said it's basically a condom that goes over the disc, seriously. :D

http://www.d-skin.com/

Stoneyguy
11-14-06, 07:35 AM

ScratchX is also sold at Wal-Mart. It truly is a great product and it's the only thing I'll use to fix small scratches when they pop up on my PSP screen. :thumbsup:

SLippe
11-14-06, 08:52 AM
I use Pledge Furniture Polish to repair my CDs. It's always worked for me.

CaptNKILL
11-14-06, 10:29 AM
Its strange, I used to have such a huge problem with CDs, but over the past couple years I barely use any disks, ever.

When I get a new music CD I rip the music to my hard drive, and when I get a new game I use a no-cd crack or mini-image so I don't need to swap disks. And with the internet as fast as it is, its usually faster to just go find programs and files and download them than it is to go digging through my folders of backup disks to find a single .exe.

Now that I have an external 320gig backup drive, I don't even need to make backup DVDs of my stuff anymore.

It seems like optical media are now just a way to get the data to my PC. After its there, I no longer even need the media. The only time I'll ever reuse it is when I reinstall windows... and lately I've just been saving entire game directories with registry entries on another partition so I don't even have to reinstall games that have lots of mods that need configured (Morrowind, Oblivion, UT2004, STEAM etc.).

OldOfEvil
11-15-06, 03:06 PM
How do you keep the reg entries on another partition their Captn'?

Thanks for all the advice, seems I am a bit behind in the CD upkeep area. :o