PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTX in Antec P180B Case - Temps?

Pages : [1] 2

DRen72
11-13-06, 09:15 AM
This weekend I upgraded to an Antec P180B case. On top of the 3 120mm case fans it comes with I added 2 more plus the 120mm CPU fan. Thats six 120mm fans in the case with 1 blowing directly onto the side of the 8800GTX. Even so, my card is now idling at 72 degrees (Celcius) and easily hits 89 degrees in games. I thought this case was supposed to have superior cooling, but so far its actually warmer than my old no-name case, although the Antec is slightly (not much) quieter. What the heck? Any ideas on keeping this thing cooler?

Brahmzy
11-13-06, 10:17 AM
I have this combo and it's actually a cool setup - you just have to mod the case quite a bit.

As far as your 8800GTX temops, that sounds about average (maybe higher by a few degrees)

These cards run HOT.

Labyrinth
11-13-06, 10:50 AM
Sounds like you have a ventilation problem. One thing you need to be careful of is sometimes having too many fans without proper airflow will heat up your case more than cool it. Make sure you have a nice steady air flow from front, back, and side.

6 fans could also be overdoing it a bit. I'm using a thermaltake shark case with only 2 120mm fans (1 in front, 1 in back) and I've got pretty normal temps for my setup.

Don't overdue it.

LeStoffer
11-13-06, 11:04 AM
Hmmm, I have the Antec P180 too, but is just using the stock fans running at the low speed.

My 8800GTX idle at 65 degrees Celcius and it hits about 79 C under load. My mobo idles at 40 C BTW.

Piercer
11-13-06, 11:32 AM
Seems that the temps for these boards are all over the place. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the thermal pastes or something. Of course, my board isn't running as hot as nearly everyone elses.

One thing to note, it seems the board is designed to take in and expel air off the side port. It doesn't appear (from just glancing at it) that it takes in air from within the case. I'm wondering if folks aren't noticing this and putting their case in a tight space, or maybe to close up against a wall or something, just a thought.

Case: Antec 900 (All fans except top vent sent to medium)
GPU: 8800GTX
CPU: E6600

Idle:
GPU Temp: 51(c)
CPU Temp: 27(c)

P-

Nuvian
11-13-06, 11:35 AM
This weekend I upgraded to an Antec P180B case. On top of the 3 120mm case fans it comes with I added 2 more plus the 120mm CPU fan. Thats six 120mm fans in the case with 1 blowing directly onto the side of the 8800GTX. Even so, my card is now idling at 72 degrees (Celcius) and easily hits 89 degrees in games. I thought this case was supposed to have superior cooling, but so far its actually warmer than my old no-name case, although the Antec is slightly (not much) quieter. What the heck? Any ideas on keeping this thing cooler?

the key to cooling is not ALOT of fans,its proper airflow,1 fan is enough to ruin the airflow in the case.

DRen72
11-13-06, 01:55 PM
Interesting suggestions guys. I will try pulling a few fans and see if the stock fans will do it justice. It never occurred to me that more fans would actually hurt cooling. My motherboard idles at 39c though, so thats not too bad. Maybe I just have a card that runs hotter than others. Anyway, I'll try the fan thing and see what happens tonight. Thanks.

OWA
11-13-06, 02:01 PM
I'm definitely not an expert but I thought the general rule was to have as many exhaust fans as you have intake fans.

Imbroglio
11-13-06, 02:12 PM
well the p180 is setup for great cooling stock, that's why so many ppl love these cases, the one 120 intake, one 120 exhaust and then the 120 on the top which is also an exhaust, the two exhausts are setup there because that's normally where the "hot" air would gather, so they stuck two fan there and the one intake should be more than enough.

what has been previously stated, sounds like you are disrupting your airflow in the case and the air isn't flowing through the case as it should, resulting in higher temps

Piercer
11-13-06, 02:29 PM
I agree with what other folks have said. What people don't realize is that too many fans create turbulence (Imagine that the fans were pushing water rather than air). The air 'pools' rather than gets sucked out and instead of cooling the system actually creates the opposite effect. Typically the best system is to have a negative air pressure within the case (more air leaving than being forced in) -- This then allows the ventilation to 'pull' air from the various inlets around your case. I always have my exhausts running higher than my intakes.

P-

Blacklash
11-13-06, 03:01 PM
For my 8800GTX it's 65C idle 85C peak heavy load. A small cool card like a X1950Pro idles @ 45C and has an extreme load of 65C in the same case.

I have been using ATi Tool to force down my 2d clocks now I idle @ 59C.

Later this week I am going to replace my case fans with more efficient fans from Yate Loon or Scythe, haven't made up my mind which.

DRen72
11-13-06, 04:15 PM
well the p180 is setup for great cooling stock, that's why so many ppl love these cases, the one 120 intake, one 120 exhaust and then the 120 on the top which is also an exhaust, the two exhausts are setup there because that's normally where the "hot" air would gather, so they stuck two fan there and the one intake should be more than enough.

what has been previously stated, sounds like you are disrupting your airflow in the case and the air isn't flowing through the case as it should, resulting in higher temps

Well, the P180 might have one stock intake fan, but its in the bottom with the power supply and hard drives. Up top, no intake fans. Thats why I added one in front of the upper hard drive rack.

DRen72
11-13-06, 04:18 PM
Ok, I've been home a little while now and I've removed the two extra fans. Now it has the stock fans only and at room temperature of 23c degrees the card is idle at 72c. Still too high isn't it?

MB = 42c
CPU = 42c

CaptNKILL
11-13-06, 04:21 PM
Well, the P180 might have one stock intake fan, but its in the bottom with the power supply and hard drives. Up top, no intake fans. Thats why I added one in front of the upper hard drive rack.
I was thinking of doing the same thing to mine. Maybe I shouldn't. :o

I'll have to see how my temps are tomorrow when my card arrives. :dance:

shaker718
11-13-06, 04:25 PM
Someone made a post in the Silent PC forums stating that removing the top fan made their temps drop by about 5c, supposedly the top fan was creating turbulence and not letting air come out of the back exhaust fan. I will try and find the post and link it here. in the mean time it might be worth it to move that top fan and see if the temps do indeed drop.

edit: Actually it was 3-4c http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35541&highlight=p180b

DRen72
11-13-06, 04:27 PM
Ok, its been a few minutes now and I've reinstalled the 120mm fan in front of the upper hard drive rack. 8800GTX is now idle at 69c.

I'll reposition my next 120mm fan and see what that does. I'm thinking in terms of flow now rather than turbulence. Good advice there.

DRen72
11-13-06, 05:20 PM
Well, I did just figure out that I forgot to remove the clear plastic cover on the card. Doesn't look like it made a difference though...except the card looks better now. How did I miss that?

CaptNKILL
11-13-06, 05:26 PM
Well, I did just figure out that I forgot to remove the clear plastic cover on the card. Doesn't look like it made a difference though...except the card looks better now. How did I miss that?
:lol:

I'm sure you arent the only person that said "wow this is pretty" and then had it installed in like 4 seconds and was already gaming on it. :p

DRen72
11-13-06, 05:52 PM
:lol:

I'm sure you arent the only person that said "wow this is pretty" and then had it installed in like 4 seconds and was already gaming on it. :p

Yeah, I stared at it :) Then I noticed the weight!...yep took 4 seconds and in it went! :)

LeStoffer
11-13-06, 05:55 PM
Well, I did just figure out that I forgot to remove the clear plastic cover on the card

Plastic cover? What plastic cover?! :D

Saibot
11-13-06, 06:57 PM
Indeed! What plastic cover?! Uh oh.

hokeyplyr48
11-13-06, 08:05 PM
so what is the best setup of fans for the P180 case? and what levels for the invididual fans (H,M, or L)? any help would be appreciated because mine runs really hot for some reason. i had to have a 120mm resting against my IDE cable pointed at my mb to keep it from going above 47 degrees C. sounds not good to me.

Blacklash
11-13-06, 10:51 PM
Someone made a post in the Silent PC forums stating that removing the top fan made their temps drop by about 5c, supposedly the top fan was creating turbulence and not letting air come out of the back exhaust fan. I will try and find the post and link it here. in the mean time it might be worth it to move that top fan and see if the temps do indeed drop.

edit: Actually it was 3-4c http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35541&highlight=p180b

I've also heard of guys flipping the top fan so it's an intake rather than an exhaust. Interesting. Think I will start experimenting.

Blacklash
11-13-06, 10:52 PM
Indeed! What plastic cover?! Uh oh.

I think they mean the clear film that is over the shroud. It's hard to describe it's like a thin piece of clear plastic that can easily be peeled off. It seems to be there to protect the finish on the card's fan shroud. The same type of covering should have been on the side panels of the P180 B.

DRen72
11-13-06, 11:19 PM
I think they mean the clear film that is over the shroud. It's hard to describe it's like a thin piece of clear plastic that can easily be peeled off. It seems to be there to protect the finish on the card's fan shroud. The same type of covering should have been on the side panels of the P180 B.

Exactly. I could not have explained it better. I didn't even notice it at first on the 8800GTX. It was not obvious on my card like it was on the P180B case.