PDA

View Full Version : 8800 GTX performance problem

A.Wesker
11-13-06, 11:32 AM
I have got big performance problems with my 8800GTX graphics card, best example with the aquamark bench. It isn't only in aquamark, but the effect is reproducable with all other applications too. When I'm using the default settings for qualitiy and speed in forceware, I'm getting a score of 215.000 Marks, changing those setting to " 4 AA / 16 AF / TRSAA and texturefiltering to High Quality " and starting the F.E.A.R Benchmark i get an avgFPS of 91 FPS @ 1600x1200 -> 4AA / 16AF/ TRSAA and High Quality. If i set back the Forceware Quality and Performance Options to default, the Aquamark Bench runs 15% slower than with the previous Quality Settings. After 10-13 seconds the performance droppes heavily and the Aquamark Bench runs in a sort of slow-motion.
It seems that the problem is caused by changing one of those attitudes (AA/AF/TRAA/Texture Filtering).

Piercer
11-13-06, 11:36 AM
Interesting, I just noticed a similar problem the other day, but then I couldn't reproduce it. I was playing an online game (Battleground Europe) and getting around 70fps with full setings. I quit the game and played FEAR for a little while then restarted playing BE. When I spawned in the frames had dropped down to a steady 14fps in an area that should have been well over 100fps. I wound up just logging out and calling it a night, then yesterday I couldn't get it to do it again. Buggy driver?!? I suppose.

P-

DRen72
11-13-06, 01:51 PM
I bet you guys are both running the 97.02 drivers aren't you?

A.Wesker
11-14-06, 11:28 AM
I bet you guys are both running the 97.02 drivers aren't you?
yes

|MaguS|
11-14-06, 11:34 AM
The current driver set has an issue with settings being saved properly. I know it took me awhile to get SLi to stick.

DRen72
11-14-06, 08:56 PM
I was seeing some crappy FPS numbers after a reboot with the 97.02 drivers. At first I was worried it was the card, but after going to the 96.89's the issue has stopped and I get consistent performance. The 97.02's were apparently rushed out the door. I highly suggest the 96.89's.

sillyeagle
11-14-06, 10:21 PM
I highly suggest the 96.89's.

I had to get the 97.02 before I was able to get AA+HDR in oblivion.

crainger
11-14-06, 11:37 PM
I'm running the 97.02 drivers and everything seems fine. Though these are the first and only drivers I've tried.

masaville
11-15-06, 12:18 AM
I have the same problem. Couldn't even clean the 97.02 and had to re-install the o/s to fix it. Worked for a few days again on teh 97.02, but now they are hooped again. I didn't install anything except a few games and I disabled SLI because of the sound problem.

Not to keen on re-installing the o/s again. Anyone know how to clean these crappy drivers without re-installing? I tried driver cleaner, but it didn't work. :(

Xion X2
11-15-06, 12:22 AM
I can't get any AA option but 16x working on mine in Oblivion. I'm also using the 97.02's and running the HDR effect. 16x AA is the only one that works for me; all others disable in-game.

And I also get the major slowdown.. but only when in SLI mode. When it happens, all AA and filtering setting are also disabled, even though I specify to enable them in the control panel.

masaville
11-15-06, 12:26 AM
I can't get any AA option but 16x working on mine in Oblivion. I'm also using the 97.02's and running the HDR effect. 16x AA is the only one that works for me; all others disable in-game.

And I also get the major slowdown.. but only when in SLI mode. When it happens, all AA and filtering setting are also disabled, even though I specify to enable them in the control panel.

Drivers need a lot of work. Plenty of problem being so new, including the sound problem when running in SLI.

masaville
11-15-06, 12:56 AM
Here's what I just did to fix mine.

1. Selected uninstall from add/remove and removed ALL nvidia drivers.
2. Removed nvidia forceware manager.
3. Removed ntune.
4. Ran driver cleaner and selected all nvidia options followed by clean.
5. Rebooted.
6. After boot up installed 680i drivers (for evga board) from CD.
7. Rebooted.
8. After boot up installed 8800 gtx drivers from CD.
9. Rebooted.

Frame rate is back to what it's supposed to be.....for now. x Fingers crossed

DRen72
11-15-06, 09:02 AM
Here's what I just did to fix mine.

1.... <> ...Frame rate is back to what it's supposed to be.....for now. x Fingers crossed

You did not reinstall nTune? If not, keep us posted. I had my suspicions that problems with slowdown could have been related to nTune and not the drivers themselves. Not sure though.