PDA

View Full Version : so, is the shimmering gone?

russ_3d
11-13-06, 01:06 PM
i havent been hanging around much lately,

is the shimmering textures gone now? how perfect are the cards in motion?

Shocky
11-13-06, 01:08 PM
Yes, there still some.. Even on my 8800 GTX.. It seems to have been reduced allot from my 7950GX2.. Could just be me though..

Lfctony
11-13-06, 01:11 PM
Depends on the game really. Some games can never be truly rid of it, proven by the fact that ATI cards suffer from it as well.

DRen72
11-13-06, 02:45 PM
It's definitely far better and I agree that what remains is game based.

hemmy
11-13-06, 04:15 PM
on [H], they noticed if you force AF in control panel instead of in game it gets rid of shimmering in the few games it is there

And like previous posters say, some games like WoW are just weird

jAkUp
11-13-06, 04:42 PM
Yea, also set the control panel to HQ.

tweaked
11-13-06, 04:47 PM
control panel set to HQ: CHECK!
16AF Forced: Check!

Shimmering: Negative!

SJA06
11-13-06, 06:06 PM
on [H], they noticed if you force AF in control panel instead of in game it gets rid of shimmering in the few games it is there

Can someone please explain why this is so, what is the differance, as long as it using the same degree of AA. I use AA in FSX and I was getting shimmering, so I tried it though the CP instead - at 4x, which I think is what the game uses, and it looked no differant to me.

Current worst game for the shimmers has to be Gothic3 - just tried the demo, and it looks so grainy and shimmery, I couldn't stand it...this is only on a 7600gt though.

DRen72
11-13-06, 06:17 PM
Can someone please explain why this is so, what is the differance, as long as it using the same degree of AA. I use AA in FSX and I was getting shimmering, so I tried it though the CP instead - at 4x, which I think is what the game uses, and it looked no differant to me.

Current worst game for the shimmers has to be Gothic3 - just tried the demo, and it looks so grainy and shimmery, I couldn't stand it...this is only on a 7600gt though.

Shimmering is from AF, not AA.

K007
11-13-06, 09:39 PM
I remember one site that did a test on the 8800GTX with WoW and noticed the game had shimmering/texture crawling all over..then they put the af thing down to lowest possible in game..went to nvcp..put it to 16x there..and it was gone...maybe need to force through cp to make sure its working properly