PDA

View Full Version : How to make your overclock stick with nTune

Pages : [1] 2

DRen72
11-13-06, 05:49 PM
I’ve figured out how to get the new control panel to keep our overclock settings after a reboot.

1st: Go into the Adjust GPU Settings screen. Select your GPU overclock and test it. NOTE: If you use “find optimal” it will probably lock up or crash. Once you have tested your overclock, click apply. Ok, most of you know that.

2nd: Click the top of the control panel menu where it says “Profile” just above the toolbar. Create your profile. Title it 600-950 or something like that so you know what clock speed you used. Now save the profile.

3rd: Go into Adjust Custom Rules and click “Load this profile” under the “Take this action” section. When you click “load this profile” you will see it added below. Now click the blue “Profile” word and you will get a popup to pick your profile. Pick the 600-950 for example then click Open. Now, look in the section titled “When the following condition(s) is/are met” and click on “The system first starts Windows”. Click the arrow button in the middle. Now click Accept to the right.

This will load the 600-950 profile on every reboot. That’s how we get the overclock to stay!

Brahmzy
11-14-06, 12:38 AM
That's great, but I always get an error saying "Problem loading xxxxx.nsu" (xxxxx being whatever I named it.)

I have tried it about 300 times I think now, I have uninstalled nTune 3 seperate times now. I'm friggin' hosed. It always comes up with that error as soon as the desktop appears on every Windows reboot.

This sucks. :(

DRen72
11-14-06, 08:31 AM
Interesting. I'm using the 96.89 drivers, so maybe thats the reason I'm getting this to work. On mine it works as advertised and the profiles are pretty neat. You can even underclock the card for 2D applications with it. Lots of possibilities.

OWA
11-14-06, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the info.

nekrosoft13
11-14-06, 09:42 AM
i knew that for long long time ago, last time it worked in 91 series, has not work in 93, 96 or 97

Jimi
11-14-06, 10:40 AM
That's great, but I always get an error saying "Problem loading xxxxx.nsu" (xxxxx being whatever I named it.)

I have tried it about 300 times I think now, I have uninstalled nTune 3 seperate times now. I'm friggin' hosed. It always comes up with that error as soon as the desktop appears on every Windows reboot.

This sucks. :(

What version of Ntune and Nvidia drivers are you using?

Brahmzy
11-14-06, 11:24 AM
Both the latest. 97.0x driver and 5.05xx nTune.

Thanks.

Jimi
11-14-06, 12:30 PM
Both the latest. 97.0x driver and 5.05xx nTune.

Thanks.

1. I would assume you have a bad profile.
2. You may have a rule set to load that profile with Windows boot.

Try removing the rule, and try to create a new profile.

SLippe
11-14-06, 01:19 PM
Damn, that's a lot of work to get overclocks to stick. Ugh! I hate 97.02 set anyways. Thanks for info nonetheless.

OWA
11-14-06, 01:58 PM
I think they're using the profiles b/c you can set a lot more than just the gpu overclock.

DRen72
11-14-06, 09:02 PM
Damn, that's a lot of work to get overclocks to stick. Ugh! I hate 97.02 set anyways. Thanks for info nonetheless.

True, but do it a few times and it becomes really fast. It's not so bad considering what all it can save for you.

Brahmzy
11-15-06, 01:46 PM
1. I would assume you have a bad profile.
2. You may have a rule set to load that profile with Windows boot.

Try removing the rule, and try to create a new profile.

Thanks, but I've tried to create multiple new profiles, and I've reinstalled nTune like 3 or 4 times. I always get this "problem loading profile xxxx.nsu" error no matter what I do.

Don't know what to do.

fatal1ty
11-20-06, 01:21 PM
Thanks, but I've tried to create multiple new profiles, and I've reinstalled nTune like 3 or 4 times. I always get this "problem loading profile xxxx.nsu" error no matter what I do.

Don't know what to do.

yea, mine doesnt work either. The profile wont auto load - so when I manually hit load and select it, I get the same error. For some reason 5.05.18.00_ntune_winxp_international.exe cannot load profiles, it just gives an error that it cannot load the profile.

DRen72
11-20-06, 01:46 PM
yea, mine doesnt work either. The profile wont auto load - so when I manually hit load and select it, I get the same error. For some reason 5.05.18.00_ntune_winxp_international.exe cannot load profiles, it just gives an error that it cannot load the profile.

Odd. Can you manually load it? Try a manual load and see if that works. Works great on mine. I am using the 96.89's and nTune 5.05.18.00.

CaptNKILL
11-20-06, 01:54 PM
I've heard of way too many nTune related problems...

Does ATI tool also work fine for overclocking 8800GTXs? I'd like to squeeze that extra little bit of juice out of this card.

EDIT:

Ermmm... does ATI Tool (0.25 beta 15) read the temperatures properly on these cards? I hope not. :o

In the temperature readout area mine says:
0%
73C
0C

When I turn on 3d view, my card makes a really strange noise (sounds like a dentists drill but very quiet) and the temperature slowly climbs up to almost 90C within a minute... ???????????

This better not be right...

EDIT: nTune is reporting the same temperatures. :thumbdwn:

What the hell is with this 85C under load bullsh**? This thing runs hotter in my P180B than the dual card 7950 gx2 "heater" I had in my previous crappy case. This doesnt seem right at all...

ArrowMk84
11-20-06, 02:22 PM
How do you even find the temperatures in Ntune? I installed the latest from Nvidia (Nov. 14, IIRC) and I'm using 97.02, and I can't find the temperature panel anywhere. </noob>

Ronin
11-20-06, 02:35 PM
I use nVTray, tbh...that's my suggestion.

CaptNKILL
11-20-06, 02:35 PM
Yeah they didnt even put it in the freaking control panel from what I can tell.

There is a shortcut for the nvidia monitor in the start menu though. Thats actually a nice little program.

nTune is a pile of s*** though so far. It kills my computer when I try to make it automatically detect higher clocks for my card. It makes the screen turn white or gray and then thats it... it just stops completely. USB devices don't even react to being plugged in after that.

And when I so much as click on the motherboard adjustments tab to view that window it starts messing with my damn fan speeds. I don't like when things screw with my settings without me giving the OK.

I'm really not impressed by any of this at the moment...

Why the hell is my card running so hot?

Ronin
11-20-06, 02:46 PM
I've yet to see my card hit 60C under load (using standard cooling on the card and in the case), so I'm not sure what you're seeing there.

I use nTune to adjust my clock speeds and throw the fan speed up. I've found that 685/2200 is pretty comfortable for my card thus far, but I'm seeing a lot of people hitting the wall at 650/2000...you might want to try there first.

CaptNKILL
11-20-06, 02:48 PM
I've yet to see my card hit 60C under load (using standard cooling on the card and in the case), so I'm not sure what you're seeing there.

I use nTune to adjust my clock speeds and throw the fan speed up. I've found that 685/2200 is pretty comfortable for my card thus far, but I'm seeing a lot of people hitting the wall at 650/2000...you might want to try there first.
I have to figure out what the hell is wrong with my temps first... but thanks, I'll aim for those clocks to start out.

Just curious, did you check your card for the incorrect resistor problem? If so, which resistor does it have? Mine has the 39C resistor and has no other problems. I kind of worried that this might be somehow related to high temperatures...

Ronin
11-20-06, 02:51 PM
Actually, I didn't...I just dove right into it when I got it (I've had it for over a week now).

CaptNKILL
11-20-06, 03:00 PM
Well I took the side off my case and bumped the fan speed up to 100% (which is really loud compared to the rest of my system) and its dropped pretty steadily... down to 53C idle right now.

My system has been on for 3 days straight now, so everything was pretty warm in there. I plan on getting at least one more fan for this thing soon, so maybe that will help.

EDIT: Hmm... this thing isnt running anywhere near as cool as yours, even with the fan at max (too loud) and the side off. Im running rthdribl and after 5 minutes its at 69C. Thats a lot better than 85C, but this isnt practical.

If it wasnt such a risk I'd check the paste on my card to see if maybe it isnt getting full contact... but I really dont want to screw this thing up for no good reason.

Lfctony
11-20-06, 03:07 PM
I've heard of way too many nTune related problems...

Does ATI tool also work fine for overclocking 8800GTXs? I'd like to squeeze that extra little bit of juice out of this card.

EDIT:

Ermmm... does ATI Tool (0.25 beta 15) read the temperatures properly on these cards? I hope not. :o

In the temperature readout area mine says:
0%
73C
0C

When I turn on 3d view, my card makes a really strange noise (sounds like a dentists drill but very quiet) and the temperature slowly climbs up to almost 90C within a minute... ???????????

This better not be right...

EDIT: nTune is reporting the same temperatures. :thumbdwn:

What the hell is with this 85C under load bullsh**? This thing runs hotter in my P180B than the dual card 7950 gx2 "heater" I had in my previous crappy case. This doesnt seem right at all...

Mine reaches 89C, measured with Everest, idles at 67-69.

CaptNKILL
11-20-06, 03:08 PM
Mine reaches 89C, measured with Everest, idles at 67-69.
Overclocked or stock?

Lfctony
11-20-06, 03:10 PM
Overclocked or stock?

Stock...