PDA

View Full Version : Onboard sound issue

Pennyboy
11-13-06, 10:35 PM
Hey guys,

I have an old HP Vectra VL420 i'm using as a spare PC but I use it too listen to Mp3s etc. Anyways I randomely get a crackling noise which is annoying me. I have tried different drivers, speakers but that hasn't fixed the issue.
I have read somewhere that it could be caused by interference with other components on the PC's motherboard, can anyone confirm that?

CaptNKILL
11-14-06, 12:18 AM
Just a small tip... make sure you're volumes (wave, master, CD and SPIDF if you have it) are down to 75-90% range. At 100% output volume, loud things get scratchy or crackly and your speakers will sound like they are bottoming out no matter what volume you have the actual speakers set to.

Give that a try.

Other than that, you might want to try lowering the hardware acceleration in the control panel. Thats a tried and true troubleshooting method that's been around as long as windows. :p

Also, I just thought of another thing. It could be an IRQ or resource sharing issue, especially with an older PC (though I'm not sure how old that is). If you have any other peripherals or PCI cards installed, try removing them or moving them to other slots\ports.

Pennyboy
11-14-06, 02:09 AM
Just a small tip... make sure you're volumes (wave, master, CD and SPIDF if you have it) are down to 75-90% range. At 100% output volume, loud things get scratchy or crackly and your speakers will sound like they are bottoming out no matter what volume you have the actual speakers set to.

Give that a try.

Other than that, you might want to try lowering the hardware acceleration in the control panel. Thats a tried and true troubleshooting method that's been around as long as windows. :p

Also, I just thought of another thing. It could be an IRQ or resource sharing issue, especially with an older PC (though I'm not sure how old that is). If you have any other peripherals or PCI cards installed, try removing them or moving them to other slots\ports.

Awesome thanks for your reply, I will give your suggestions a try tonight!!!!