PDA

View Full Version : Activision's CoD3 and THP8 not hitting 720p

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
11-13-06, 09:37 PM
Someone call Activision and let 'em know that 720p means 1280x720, please. Games-Aktuell, a German gaming outlet, has discovered that Call of Duty 3 and Tony Hawk's Project 8 are not running at a 720p high-def resolution.

When the tests were run, CoD3 was shown to be running at 1040x620 pixels and THP8 at 1040x584 pixels. The pixel drop reflects a resolution drop of 30% and 34%, respectively. The resolution drop could be assumed to help keep framerates up, but THP8 reportedly has framerate problems. So what's up?

Note: It's not the first time we see this happen on the 360 ... PGR3 is known to run sub-720p (1280x600) too.

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEyFuZplZAZYYnYbjr.php

Bad_Boy
11-13-06, 09:44 PM
what do the ps3 versions run at?

evilchris
11-13-06, 10:23 PM
what do the ps3 versions run at?

1920x1080 progressive at 100 FPS, it has teh cell dude

Zelda_fan
11-13-06, 10:44 PM

excuse me, but I think what you meant to say was 100000 FPS. You see the cELL has multi-tera-flop technology, and when you run @ 100k FPS it actually increases the geometry without even thinking. Don't try to think about that too hard, I made that mistake and it caused me to do something inappropriate, so the neighbors called the cops on me.

Mr_LoL
11-13-06, 10:48 PM
Wahey. Here we go again.

Peoples-Agent
11-13-06, 11:42 PM
Call of Duty 3 does run at 1280 by 720 if you use the VGA connector, because the resolution is forced.

Looks great, and runs great.

russ_3d
11-13-06, 11:50 PM
Looks great, and runs great.

all that matters:)

six_storm
11-14-06, 01:18 AM
OMG the XB0X 3sixty d03sn"t rUn @ 1080superduper p!!!!!!!!

Geez, go blow your money on a stupid PC and quit bitchin if it's that important to you. The 360 (and I'm sure the PS3 as well) works just fine, looks great, run great and is great.

Bad_Boy
11-14-06, 06:32 AM
theres the evilchris we know, hes back. :p

Mr. Hunt
11-14-06, 06:49 AM
theres the evilchris we know, hes back. :p

But he brought his old butt buddy, Zelda_fan... and it seems Six_storm has joined their gayvy crew.

|MaguS|
11-14-06, 07:10 AM
I just love how a simple posting about an article that only mentions the X360 automatically turned into a PS3 vs X360 thread... good job at derailing you tools...

nekrosoft13
11-14-06, 07:19 AM
i gotta agree with you magus on this, its funny how many kids go defends their console

the point is that either activision and who ever made PGR3 broke MS requirements, or simply there is something wrong with x360 not being able to render those games.

Mr. Hunt
11-14-06, 07:25 AM
i gotta agree with you magus on this, its funny how many kids go defends their console

the point is that either activision and who ever made PGR3 broke MS requirements, or simply there is something wrong with x360 not being able to render those games.

OMGUSH FANboi!#

nekrosoft13 TU TEH RESCIU!

Mathesar
11-14-06, 07:46 AM
Its better for them to lower the resolution versus being stuck with the performance of the PS3 version, I guess we should blame the crappy engine used in THP8 over anything else.. although I dont know whats up with the lack of online with ps3's ver , snips from IGN's review:

"The first major issue that the PlayStation 3 version has is that it doesn't include any online support. Considering that the Tony Hawk series was the first online game for the PlayStation 2, even before the Network Adapter was ever released, makes this seem curious. And the fact that this is the only major launch title that isn't online but should be is basically inexcusable. Tony Hawk's online play is good fun, and it's really disappointing that Neversoft included it with the Xbox 360 version but not this one.

The second problem with the PS3 variant of Project 8 is that it simply doesn't run all that well. The game chops up left and right, sometimes to the point where the controls don't feel responsive. It's bad enough that the camera isn't always perfect, but when it's staring at the bottom of your board and the game is running at 15fps, well, there's a major problem. That's not to say that it always runs poorly, as it can be reasonably quick most of the time, but Project 8 chops up way more often than is normally forgivable.

It's certainly disappointing that the PlayStation 3 is so far behind the Xbox 360 game. Framerate issues are apparent at every other turn, and the lack of online play really hurts. Project 8 is a worthy game to pick up, just preferably not on this system."

ENU291
11-14-06, 08:00 AM
I for one own a copy of CoD3 for the 360 and I have to say that the game look phenomenal! The graphics rival Resistance: Fall of Man (purely based on high res screen shots and videos). If the game is being rendered at a much lower resolution then the 360 is doing a fantastic job of upscaling the image. The textures are sharp, the aliasing is minimal and the game runs at a solid 60fps.

LurkerLito
11-14-06, 09:23 AM
When I read this I was thinking about canceling my Fry's order, which btw WTF hasn't that shipped yet this game has been out for a week on the 360 and yet fry's still has it listed as backordered/preorder, but anyway I decided not to because I still love the demo and it looks and plays great so I am going to keep it.

But in the PS3's defense (or maybe not) I would guess the choppiness of the game is due to Sony not allowing the developer to render the game below 720p.

six_storm
11-14-06, 12:04 PM
But he brought his old butt buddy, Zelda_fan... and it seems Six_storm has joined their gayvy crew.

Wow man, I'm really glad you think so highly of me. ;)

I just think it's stupid for all the PC fanbois around here complaining that the newest consoles can't do 5,430superduper p resolution. Well, no crap huh? Not everyone is fortunate to be able to afford nice things like you have (7800GTXs, Intel Duo2s, etc). All I'm saying is that whether you are looking at the costs or personal preference, consoles work for some people while PC work for others, simple as that. Don't waste anymore Intraweb space just to complain, bitch or moan about "t3H c0ns0l3es h@v3 s0 m@ny fL@w$!!!!OMGwtf!!111".

I think it's HILARIOUS to think that whenever I was big into PC gaming, everybody was so nice to me on here and just really agreeing with just about anything I said. But when I got rid of my PC, went for a Mac and then went to the console side of gaming with my 360, a ton of people here have been little @holes. Good greif people, get over the fact that not everyone can afford a $3K rig or even prefers a PC over console.

Gaco
11-14-06, 12:19 PM

Not true. Gamespot reports that the X360 version of THP8 runs better while the PS3 version has FPS problems. But perhaps now we know why...

Mr_LoL
11-14-06, 01:14 PM
Not true. Gamespot reports that the X360 version of THP8 runs better while the PS3 version has FPS problems. But perhaps now we know why...
Lol. He was being sarcastic.

ENU291
11-14-06, 01:19 PM

I just think it's stupid for all the PC fanbois around here complaining that the newest consoles can't do 5,430superduper p resolution. Well, no crap huh? Not everyone is fortunate to be able to afford nice things like you have (7800GTXs, Intel Duo2s, etc). All I'm saying is that whether you are looking at the costs or personal preference, consoles work for some people while PC work for others, simple as that. Don't waste anymore Intraweb space just to complain, bitch or moan about "t3H c0ns0l3es h@v3 s0 m@ny fL@w$!!!!OMGwtf!!111".

I think it's HILARIOUS to think that whenever I was big into PC gaming, everybody was so nice to me on here and just really agreeing with just about anything I said. But when I got rid of my PC, went for a Mac and then went to the console side of gaming with my 360, a ton of people here have been little @holes. Good greif people, get over the fact that not everyone can afford a $3K rig or even prefers a PC over console.Six you really shouldn't pay attention to Hunt. He hates everybody and everything (except for that flaming pile of gayness named Michael Flatley!) :D

Quickstar
11-14-06, 01:22 PM

I think it's HILARIOUS to think that whenever I was big into PC gaming, everybody was so nice to me on here and just really agreeing with just about anything I said. But when I got rid of my PC, went for a Mac and then went to the console side of gaming with my 360, a ton of people here have been little @holes. Good greif people, get over the fact that not everyone can afford a $3K rig or even prefers a PC over console.

Better is better. I prefer 720 over 480 and 1080 over 720. Welcome to the infinite innovation of humans.

toxikneedle
11-14-06, 01:40 PM
Better is better. I prefer 720 over 480 and 1080 over 720. Welcome to the infinite innovation of humans.
Well who wouldn't prefer 1080 over 720 or 2048 over 1080..... thing is, right now the choice is 720p with 4xAA or 1080p with no AA or AF. There was an article couple weeks back saying how tests showed that 720p with AA and other effects produced a better image than a 1080p without those effects. 1080p is obviously better than 720p, but not with the hardware limitations that all the consoles have.

nekrosoft13
11-14-06, 02:38 PM
I just think it's stupid for all the PC fanbois around here complainingthat the newest consoles can't do 5,430superduper p resolution. Well, no crap huh?

Who the hell was complaining? I posted an article from xbox-scene aka xbox gamers, not some PC website.

And all the console fanboys run up in arms, ready to shed blood to defend their console.

Point is and was that MS set guide lines for developers to follow while making games, that xbox 360 has to run in 720p minimum, activision broke those guidelines.

btw, learn to type.

saturnotaku
11-14-06, 02:59 PM
btw, learn to type.

Says the one who's apparently not aware that Xbox and Activision are proper nouns.

six_storm
11-14-06, 03:00 PM
Who the hell was complaining? I posted an article from xbox-scene aka xbox gamers, not some PC website.

And all the console fanboys run up in arms, ready to shed blood to defend their console.

Point is and was that MS set guide lines for developers to follow while making games, that xbox 360 has to run in 720p minimum, activision broke those guidelines.

btw, learn to type.

I didn't say you were, I was just stating a fact. They (PC fanboys) like to poke fun at consoles cuz they can't do a certain resolution or whatever. I'll agree with them, but who cares? Consoles work just fine for me. I don't have any kind of disrespect for PC gaming whatsoever, but not all of us can afford keeping up with the latest hardware.

I guess it sucks that Activision didn't make Call of Doody 3 true 720p but oh well. We don't need anymore WWII games anyway.

BTW, you know what you can do with the typing comment . . . :D