PDA

View Full Version : dual monitor - no signal

jonny_5
11-14-06, 09:07 AM
Hi,

Fore warning...this post is fairly long so that I can give as much detail as I can

Just bought a Samsung SM940MW and it works great with my xbox and dvd player, however the main reason I bought this was as a second monitor...and I can't get it to work!

Upon first connection to my computer (via analog), Windows XP showed no indication that I had connected the monitor. However I installed the supplied drivers for the Samsung anyway. Still nothing. The screen on the Samsung is black with a white box floating around around the screen which reads..."Check Signal cable.PC"

I tried another cable and still no luck.

My computer is a Sony Vaio FS285M (laptop) running a nVIDIA Geforce Go6200 with Driver version 70.86. Sony have not released any further updates since this but I did manage to get 81.95 working, but this had no effect on the moitor so I reverted to 70.86.

I have created a new profile for the Samsung using my nVIDIA settings giving it a 1440x900 res, and refresh rate of 60. Although it is 24 bit, i have tried 16 and 32....still nothing.

When I first bought this monitor, I returned it for another one thinking the monitor was at fault. However, I have the same results from the replacement. I would still assume that the monitor is at fault, however, my friend tried it on his Sony Vaio (different model to mine and running an ATi card), and the Samsung worked straight away.

I therefore assumed I definately have a hardware problem with my port...BUT i tried 2 different TFT displays and a CRT display in dual monitor mode and both work fine with my laptop!

I am therefore at a total loss as to what to try next...I have seen the samsung working, and have seen my laptop working, just not with each other!

Any suggestions before I pull all my hair out? :(

Thanks

vandalous
11-14-06, 04:52 PM
Is the monitor only VGA or are there dual inputs? Did you test both inputs? How about adding a DVI-to-VGA adapter and testing that functionality? You didn't articulate how you tested the monitor with your xbox and dvd player...

jonny_5
11-14-06, 05:49 PM
My laptop has one vga port so that is how I have been connecting to monitor.

DVD via scart
Xbox via component

Monitor also has DVI available but i would prefer to keep that DVI free for my xbox 360.

Was hoping it might be a case of a driver mod?

Someone suggested disabling hotkeys as this worked for them so I shut down Vaio Event Service. This made no difference.

Samsung/sony compatibility issues are apparently known with regards to monitor laptop conflicts. Therefore it seems the easiest thing for me to do is to swap the monitor for a simple plug & play alternative.

I would prefer to get this one going though!!

Hope this is more specific for you, let me known if more info is required.

Thanks
Jonny

Bman212121
11-15-06, 12:50 AM
Hi,

Fore warning...this post is fairly long so that I can give as much detail as I can

Just bought a Samsung SM940MW and it works great with my xbox and dvd player, however the main reason I bought this was as a second monitor...and I can't get it to work!

Upon first connection to my computer (via analog), Windows XP showed no indication that I had connected the monitor. However I installed the supplied drivers for the Samsung anyway. Still nothing. The screen on the Samsung is black with a white box floating around around the screen which reads..."Check Signal cable.PC"

I tried another cable and still no luck.

My computer is a Sony Vaio FS285M (laptop) running a nVIDIA Geforce Go6200 with Driver version 70.86. Sony have not released any further updates since this but I did manage to get 81.95 working, but this had no effect on the moitor so I reverted to 70.86.

I have created a new profile for the Samsung using my nVIDIA settings giving it a 1440x900 res, and refresh rate of 60. Although it is 24 bit, i have tried 16 and 32....still nothing.

When I first bought this monitor, I returned it for another one thinking the monitor was at fault. However, I have the same results from the replacement. I would still assume that the monitor is at fault, however, my friend tried it on his Sony Vaio (different model to mine and running an ATi card), and the Samsung worked straight away.

I therefore assumed I definately have a hardware problem with my port...BUT i tried 2 different TFT displays and a CRT display in dual monitor mode and both work fine with my laptop!

I am therefore at a total loss as to what to try next...I have seen the samsung working, and have seen my laptop working, just not with each other!

Any suggestions before I pull all my hair out? :(

Thanks

Only thing I can think of is that the nvidia card usually likes to have display hooked up before you even turn the pc on. If I don't have both monitors on the card before I turn on my pc, it won't find the second display.

I'd peek in the bios, but I'm really at a loss if you know that it was working with other monitors. Did you try getting it up and running with another monitor, and then hotswap to your samsung? Monitors are hot swappable, so see if you can unplug a working monitor and then plug the samsung in right away. It might show a picture because it still thinks its the other monitor.

jonny_5
11-15-06, 04:47 AM
Thanks for your reply...still no luck

However I have heard from Samsung, and they tell me that there is a known compatibility issue between some Vaios and some Samsungs. Guess I just have bad luck!

Apparently it is more todo with the way Sony manufacture their Vaios....although when I spoke to Sony (on several occasions) they never acknowledged this.

So im taking the Samsung back to the shop...and if anyone else has a Vaio, be sure it is compatible before buying additional monitors (especially Samsung)

Jonny