PDA

View Full Version : Need ur advice. Need mouse, G7 dying!

flukester
11-14-06, 02:09 PM
Not impressed. My G7 has been experiencing a problem. It just all of a sudden stops working for a few seconds randomly. Windows and nothing else freezes, just the mouse. I have removed drivers and re-installed, cleaned everything including registry and re-installed and it still fails. So since I have to RMA it and wait likely weeks, would just have to bite bullet and buy another mouse! I liked the G7 mouse thumb button style, just the one button, been looking at the MX revolution but the wheel on the thumb button scares me and I have a fear it will interfere, then the thumb little buttons seem really small. Hard to play a FPS or anything when your mouse freezes!

What's your recommendation?

SLippe
11-14-06, 02:20 PM
That's a damn shame. I love my G7. I never installed the software that came with it though. I just use whatever drivers Windows installed for it. I love the On-The-Fly changing of PSI (is that what it is?), it comes in handy in games like BF2 with the tanks. Good luck in your search. Sorry about your luck.

flukester
11-14-06, 02:28 PM
Yeah it is/was a nice mouse but after searching it appears to be a defective product anyhow. Based off many many threads and it's a problem that looms it's head after lots of use. Might just see if I can get store to replace it.

I never really used the senstivity thing on it that much...found it messed up my aim more than improved it. Liked the battery idea. Sucks but what can I do?

Not nearly as bad as my upgrade hell I had, 2 dead mobo's, bios flash died flashing it from a CD then the next one the HD controller fried! Onto #3 now and all seems well so far.... :o (knocks wood)

LORD-eX-Bu
11-14-06, 02:30 PM
I've had my G7 for about 7 months and haven't used it all that much and the pads on the bottom are begining to go. Kinda disappointed with the quality... waiting for the next thing from Logitech tho.. hopefully will be better:D

flukester
11-14-06, 03:12 PM
-LORD-eX-Bu']I've had my G7 for about 7 months and haven't used it all that much and the pads on the bottom are begining to go. Kinda disappointed with the quality... waiting for the next thing from Logitech tho.. hopefully will be better:D

Have you seen the MX revolution? http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/CA/EN,CRID=2135,CONTENTID=12134

Only thing I'm not fussy about is the mouse wheel on the thumb and small buttons too...

LORD-eX-Bu
11-14-06, 03:15 PM
yep seen it, have a ton at work and don't like it:lol:

crainger
11-14-06, 03:34 PM
That's a damn shame. I love my G7. I never installed the software that came with it though. I just use whatever drivers Windows installed for it. I love the On-The-Fly changing of PSI (is that what it is?), it comes in handy in games like BF2 with the tanks. Good luck in your search. Sorry about your luck.

It's not a Turbo! It's DPI :D

*runs away again*

I tried the MX Revolution. As an office mouse it's awesome. For gaming it's crap. The mouse wheel button is hard to depress at certain angles, the slider cannot be rebound, thumb buttons are just out of easy reach. Went back to my MX1000.

flukester
11-14-06, 03:39 PM
I guess I'm gonna check if I can get it RMA'd and get another one at the store. Hopefully the store will replace it. Yeah, not overly joyed at the MX revolution however I read a few sites and they said it was good for gaming.. but I think RMA is the way to go...:o

LORD-eX-Bu
11-14-06, 09:35 PM
go to circuit city and try it out, it sucks:lol:

Sazar
11-14-06, 09:46 PM
MX Revolution, not recommended for gaming at all.

I still like my mx 1000, my revolution went to the office the 2nd day, i love it but it just can't do games for me.

The g7 I have is decent but I tend to use it as my backup, I never really grew to love it :(

Templ
11-14-06, 10:28 PM
Have my MX1000 for over a year already and i just can't get used to any other mouse anymore.

Roadhog
11-14-06, 10:36 PM
Have my MX1000 for over a year already and i just can't get used to any other mouse anymore.

same...

Xasz
11-14-06, 11:13 PM
A lot of people I've heard like the VX Revolution better than the MX Revolution. I haven't used the MX Revolution so I wouldn't be able to post a comparison, but I do like the VX Revolution that I have. Keep in mind that it's designed to be smaller and more portable than the MX Revolution. But yeah ... I game with it just fine.

My Logitech G7 is finally starting to show signs of heavy use. The batteries are down to about 1-2 days worth of charge, and the frequent swapping is starting to get irritating. The VX revolution, which uses regular alkaline batteries, is still going strong after a couple of months use.

Tuork
11-15-06, 12:09 AM
I've had an MX1000 for a bit over 4 months and I'm loving it.
Love the back and forward buttons.

Shame my mousepad sucks :p

Bman212121
11-15-06, 12:45 AM
Not impressed. My G7 has been experiencing a problem. It just all of a sudden stops working for a few seconds randomly. Windows and nothing else freezes, just the mouse. I have removed drivers and re-installed, cleaned everything including registry and re-installed and it still fails. So since I have to RMA it and wait likely weeks, would just have to bite bullet and buy another mouse! I liked the G7 mouse thumb button style, just the one button, been looking at the MX revolution but the wheel on the thumb button scares me and I have a fear it will interfere, then the thumb little buttons seem really small. Hard to play a FPS or anything when your mouse freezes!

What's your recommendation?

Sew the cord back onto the G7 and not have to worry about battery life. :) (G5)

For a gaming mouse I'd rather just have it corded, that way the mouse is always on, and won't die in the middle of a game. I don't ever move my mouse from it's place on the keyboard tray anyway. I do keep a wireless mouse around though if I want to use the pc for playing movies or something.

Stoneyguy
11-15-06, 01:40 AM

ditto, there would have to be a compelling reason for me to give up my MX1000

jAkUp
11-15-06, 01:54 AM
Get the MS Habu! ;)

flukester
11-15-06, 09:40 AM
Hey thanks everyone for your input. I figured out what the problem was with the mouse. Or I think I did. Apparently this tweak I had in one of my custom registry files is a bogus tweak. They say it affects RAID but it's not entirely accurate. The tweak itself is just a bad tweak period.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache 1

Is a very bad tweak that shouldn't be used. It does cause Read/Write failures on harddrives, NOT just RAID there's a serious caching problem and just plain and simple bad writes. Can cause a lot of corruption!! As well it affects USB ports. I've tested this against Intel boxes and AMD. Causes problems not just for Logitech mice, but MS and no-name USB mice.

My problem with the mouse stopping randomly was occuring a few times if not a bunch of times in a hour. After setting this entry back to '0', the problem disappeared for 4.5 hours last night. I 'think' the mouse is fine now.

I had come across a thread last night that mentioned this causing a USB problem and then further investigation found this tweak to be totally bogus.

I use TweakXp for most of my tweaks and whoever runs this site, they should really just simply remove this tweak from their site. Serves no purpose to advertise the tweak and then expect someone to go to another area of their site to see which are good and not good tweaks.

Thanks again for your input. The store I bought the mouse from was going to RMA it and then I get a G7 Carbon or something, but thankfully I think I am spared from that now! (nana2)