PDA

View Full Version : Speed/lag question for XBOX Live players

sillyeagle
11-14-06, 09:21 PM
Here is a question since I don't own an XBOX...

Do you guys know of any effective ways to troubelshoot lag issues, or know of anyway to determine what the cause of the lag is? I work for an ISP and we get a lot of people complaining of lag and that they get a "RED" bar indicating poor connection.

In all cases they are pulling around 7000k down and depedning on thier service level a good 245k or 480k up, off our own speed test server, and pings within our network to thier modem are 8-11ms, yet they continue to complain about a "red" performance indicator.

Since there are no speed issues or performance issues within our network there is not much we can do, and we tell them the lag is occuring outside of our realm of control, but they are ussually not satisfied with that answer and insist it is an ISP issue.

Any insight on this?

FCGD
11-14-06, 09:32 PM
where is this "red bar" coming from? if you have them run a speed test to your servers and they get 8-11 ms response time, that is fantastic latency. bandwidth isnt the same as latency, so that doesent tell you much one way or another

sillyeagle
11-14-06, 09:53 PM
where is this "red bar" coming from? if you have them run a speed test to your servers and they get 8-11 ms response time, that is fantastic latency. bandwidth isnt the same as latency, so that doesent tell you much one way or another

I don't know what the red bar/light is, thats just what they tell us they see. They say it goes from green, to yellow, to red. Green is good, red is bad. And yeah everything looks awesome as far as latency and performance, so I don't know that these guys have any basis in blaming the ISP.