PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 HD Player Worth Buying??

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

1337_Like_ThaT
11-15-06, 03:04 AM
Is the Xbox 360 HD Player Add-on worth buying for $200?

Or is the quality degraded when going through the USB interface?

I've been looking into this for awhile but am not sure whether a stand alone HD Player is far superior to this. Thanks for your opinions :)

Ruined
11-15-06, 06:25 AM
dupe

Ruined
11-15-06, 06:25 AM
Most definitely for the price! The quality is not degraded over USB, as the USB connection simply transmits the data bit-for-bit off the HD DVD for decoding by the X360 itself.

The signal is output by the XBOX 360 depending on the cable as follows:
Component HD Cables: 720p, 1080i
VGA Cable: 720p, 1080i, 1080p

Picture quality is fantastic, as good as an HD DVD standalone. Audio-wise the drive decodes all the formats available on HD DVD but only outputs them as Dolby Digital meaning you will get sound on everything but it will only be DVD quality (standalone has an advantage here). Finally functionality-wise it works superbly bringing to the table lightning-fast startup and access times.

Overall, highly recommended especially due to the price. Heck, you can even use the drive on your PC without modding!

nekrosoft13
11-15-06, 06:26 AM
$200 bucks its a really good price, i'm considering buying it for my computer

Ruined
11-15-06, 06:31 AM
$200 bucks its a really good price, i'm considering buying it for my computer

Just remember in addition to the Toshiba XP drivers you'll also need an HDCP-capable video card and display device to get full resolution:

(like these)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161049
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824234001

Of course, you don't need this for the XBOX 360, only if you are going to use the drive on your PC; piracy is a bigger concern on the PC so it has more strict usage rights.

Zelda_fan
11-15-06, 06:33 AM
Don't buy it for a few reasons.

First of all, I don't think the XBOX360 VGA cable can do 1080p. And if it can, you really don't want to be running that high of a resolution over an analog VGA cable. You want a DVI or HDMI connection.

Sound wise it only outputs in Dolby Digital meaning that you are missing out on TrueHD and DTS-HD sound.

I also don't think the decoding quality is on par with the Toshiba HD-A1. My advice, spend $200 more and get a Toshiba HD-A1.

saturnotaku
11-15-06, 06:35 AM
Heck, you can even use the drive on your PC without modding!

Like to read discs and install software? If that's the case, I'll probably pick one up. Yow, this is going to be a hella expensive month. :(

crainger
11-15-06, 06:46 AM
Is the Xbox 360 HD Player Add-on worth buying for $200?

Or is the quality degraded when going through the USB interface?

I've been looking into this for awhile but am not sure whether a stand alone HD Player is far superior to this. Thanks for your opinions :)

A stand alone HD player will 90% of the time be better quality wise and quieter too. But in terms of space and money the 360 HD player might be just the ticket.

I plan on buying one. Mainly due to the fact the 360 player will beat all other stand alone players to the AU market.

Bad_Boy
11-15-06, 06:55 AM
whatever you do, when you get it, dont tell evilchris. ;)

ENU291
11-15-06, 07:38 AM
1080p over VGA looks great on the 360. Granted, if you are sitting 5 inches away from the screen you will see a difference between VGA and DVI/HDMI but at a comfortable sitting distance picking out glaring differences is impossible. I run my 360 on a 42" 1080p display and at about 8 feet away it looks sweet! I've tried several 720p WMV encoded movies that I burned to DVD and the video output quality of the 360 is quite impressive. I haven't picked up the HD-DVD player but since I've enabled the HD-DVD rental option from Netflix I'll swing by Circuit City and pick one up this weekend.

Scunner
11-15-06, 08:23 AM
Don't have one (yet), but from the reviews I've read, for $200, you really can't go wrong. The one criticism against it right now seems to be the lack of HDMI output, but it's likely that we'll see an official HDMI cable before too long. And given the storage capacity of HD-DVD discs and the ability to have dual-format (HD-DVD/DVD) discs, it's a safe bet that we'll see content taking advantage of that media.

Circuit City are bundling the drive with the media center remote and the King Kong movie. Those two alone are worth $50-55, so that brings the drive down to about $145-150. What's not to like about that?

six_storm
11-15-06, 08:53 AM
Found this to be a really good review with pics:

http://www.krunker.com/2006/11/12/xbox-360-hd-dvd-player-review/

I'm waiting until around Springtime 07 to buy my HD-DVD drive just because of the current selection. Give it some time and there will be a really nice selection to choose from.

1337_Like_ThaT
11-15-06, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

So I am taking it that if you want to use it for the PC, then you should reconsider

But if you want to use it strictly for the Xbox via component cable, then its a go :)

1337_Like_ThaT
11-16-06, 06:12 PM
Well guys went out to pick up the Xbox 360 HD Player and I have nothing but positive things to say about it. Picture Perfect quality.

Also if you are to purchase one of the first models, you get King Kong HD DVD included for free. Also included with it is the official xbox 360 Universal Media Remote. So basically your getting a $30 remote and $30 DVD included for $200 bucks, Awesome deal :)

Anyone interested, go get yours today and save yourself some money!

FCGD
11-16-06, 08:06 PM
wait im confused, who would buy this and only use vga cables, CRT owners? surely lcd/hdtv owners would use digital cables?

evilchris
11-16-06, 10:05 PM
wait im confused, who would buy this and only use vga cables, CRT owners? surely lcd/hdtv owners would use digital cables?

X360 doesn't have digital video connectivity.

superklye
11-26-06, 11:26 PM
Does anyone know is CC still has that bundle available? I'm not seeing it on their site...

Zelda_fan
11-27-06, 02:09 AM

It is not difficult to connect an analog HD15 signal to a Home Theatre if you know what you are doing. Personally, my 1080p TV accepts a HD15 signal natively.

Ruined
11-27-06, 06:31 PM
I have some good news for the OP, too :)

On AVSFORUM it has been confirmed that Microsoft's next firmware update for the HD DVD Addon will transcode the DD+/DDTHD sound to DTS (instead of DD), making the 360's digital output sound even better and just as good as the Toshiba HD-A1 standalone's coax/optical which no one ever had any complaints about. Way to make an awesome product even better!

http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=9001981&&#post9001981

six_storm
11-28-06, 12:46 AM
I'm debating on whether or not to buy this yet. Would it be better to wait a little bit and see about the whole format wars, just to be safe? I do want to buy the add-on drive but there are only a few (10-20) titles that I'm really interested in buying right now.

Also, does anyone have a list of HD-DVD titles currently out and coming soon? Thanks! :D

DJMONDY
11-28-06, 05:18 AM
Im in the UK and im not 100% sure when its coming out over here but i do want one but does it upscale old dvd's?? if so is the quality good??

Ive got a samsung hd850 upscaling dvd player and its ok i guess. not really what i was expecting tbh but for 50 its a very good player!

Thanks

Badboy_12345
11-28-06, 05:54 AM
Im in the UK and im not 100% sure when its coming out over here but i do want one but does it upscale old dvd's?? if so is the quality good??

Ive got a samsung hd850 upscaling dvd player and its ok i guess. not really what i was expecting tbh but for 50 its a very good player!

Thanks

the x360 upscales dvds you dont need the HD-addon.
But it only upscale over the vga cable beacuse of the restrictions.

DJMONDY
11-28-06, 06:07 AM
The upscaling on the 360 isnt very good though...imo anyway.

I was just woundering if the new hd addon upscaling is better than what the 360 produces?

I want it for hd'dvd's also and its a good price!

Badboy_12345
11-28-06, 06:11 AM

I was just woundering if the new hd addon upscaling is better than what the 360 produces?

well its exactly the same beacuse the HD-Addon is just a player, the x360 does all the work and sends the picture to your tv.

Ruined
11-28-06, 06:43 AM

The 360 HD DVD addon completely murders upscaled DVD, and the 360's quality is on par with that of standalone players. Highly recommended!