PDA

View Full Version : AMD Dual Core Optimizer and/or Athlon 64 X2 driver?

Sidric
11-16-06, 01:52 AM
I've been very perplexed by this lately. With a few games coming out that lack support for dual-core out of the box, I've been looking for workarounds to get them to work and I don't understand something. Does the Dual Core Optimizer work as a driver by itself, with no need for the Athlon 64 X2 driver? Or will it only work once that driver is installed? Also, does Cool'n'Quiet need to be enabled in order for the Optimizer to work properly or does it not matter? And finally, if the optimizer is truly running like its supposed to, does it show up as a process or service?

I apologize in advance for the slightly noobish questions. Haven't been keeping up with hardware lately and just need a refresher.

JaxMacFL
11-16-06, 11:47 AM
I've been very perplexed by this lately. With a few games coming out that lack support for dual-core out of the box, I've been looking for workarounds to get them to work and I don't understand something. Does the Dual Core Optimizer work as a driver by itself, with no need for the Athlon 64 X2 driver? Or will it only work once that driver is installed? Also, does Cool'n'Quiet need to be enabled in order for the Optimizer to work properly or does it not matter? And finally, if the optimizer is truly running like its supposed to, does it show up as a process or service?

I apologize in advance for the slightly noobish questions. Haven't been keeping up with hardware lately and just need a refresher.

I believe you are trying to lump two or three separate items into one. This is right from AMD download support page. Hope this helps.

AMD Dual-Core Optimizer - The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized.

AMD Athlon™ 64/FX Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2.16 - Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need. Download this Setup Installation program (EXE) to automatically update all the files necessary for installation. This package is recommended for users whom desire a graphical user interface for installation. This .EXE driver is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD Athlon 64/FX processors on Windows XP SP2, Windows 2003 SP1 x84 and x64 Editions.

AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor Cool'n'Quiet Software for Windows ME and Windows 2000, Version 1.0.8.1 - AMD Cool'n'Quiet! Technology allows the system to dynamically and automatically select the CPU speed, Voltage and Power combination that match the instantaneous user perfomance need. These changes can happen as often as 30 times per second. Note: This driver is for Desktop Athlon 64 systems only.

Sidric
11-16-06, 12:05 PM
Much appreciation for the reply. However I've read the descriptions several times before and detailed though they may be, they do not describe whether you need one or both, or none at all. I'm not 'lumping' anything together.

Oh and btw you listed both a driver that is not designed for the X2 processor, and a driver that is only available for Windows ME/2000. Neither of which is relevant to my question. Thanks anyway.

nekrosoft13
11-16-06, 12:12 PM
simple you need the driver if you want to use Cool'n'Quiet

optimizer is required for some applications or games that don't play nice with dual-core

for example, deus ex IW will freeze entire system in main manu, because of dual core, with the optimizer it works fine.

JaxMacFL
11-16-06, 12:17 PM
Much appreciation for the reply. However I've read the descriptions several times before and detailed though they may be, they do not describe whether you need one or both, or none at all. I'm not 'lumping' anything together.

Oh and btw you listed both a driver that is not designed for the X2 processor, and a driver that is only available for Windows ME/2000. Neither of which is relevant to my question. Thanks anyway.

Didn't mean to insult your intelligence or anything, it was the 'noobish' part that threw me, so I thought I'd include all three for your enlightment. Sorry it didn't help you.