PDA

View Full Version : WINDOWS WONT BOOT AH HELP?

mojoman0
11-16-06, 03:04 PM
sorry if this is in the wrong section guys, not sure where it should be, but I need some serious help. I was just doing the tutorial for Company of Heroes and it froze on me, so I reset my computer. Now it wont get passed the windows loading screen, but the progress bar continues to tick, but no hdd movement...whats going on? Ive tried safe mode, but it gets stuck as well after the same driver....my specs are AMD64 3500, MSI neo4 plat, 500w smartpower, 6800gt, 2x512 corsair, thanks, I need my puder for studying this weekend! thanks

DiscipleDOC
11-16-06, 03:08 PM
Check in the bios and make sure the hd is being recognized by the motherboard.

Did you move your pagefile?

Did you change your primary hd from master to slave?

And you could have a bad HD to boot!

dsessom
11-16-06, 03:13 PM
If you have your Windows XP CD, try doing a repair install. (Not with the recovery console - it's the second recovery option that you will see.)

mojoman0
11-16-06, 03:13 PM
nah I didnt move anything, just put my windows disk in to try the windows repair and see what it can do, would the hd be bad if the windows logo screen pops up and tries to load?

EDIT: will a repair install keep my files?

mojoman0
11-16-06, 03:26 PM
well windows recovery console got me to the command prompt and i made a new boot partition, didnt know what else i shouldve done, ran chkdsk and it said the drive was ok, so i rebooted and now my hdd light stays on, but the windows loading bar stopped..what now??

DiscipleDOC
11-16-06, 03:49 PM
well windows recovery console got me to the command prompt and i made a new boot partition, didnt know what else i shouldve done, ran chkdsk and it said the drive was ok, so i rebooted and now my hdd light stays on, but the windows loading bar stopped..what now??

If you have an extra hd, install windows on the extra hd and make your old one the slave drive and copy your files off of that one. It sounds like your hd is hosed.

einstein_314
11-16-06, 04:40 PM
No, don't use the recovery console. When it asks if you want to install windows or go to the recovery console, pick install windows. There is an option later for a repair install of windows. And yes, it will keep all your files and programs intact. It just repairs the windows core files.

mojoman0
11-16-06, 04:55 PM
okay so im trying to reinstall windows on another partition and after it installs some necessary files it asks to reboot, so i reboot and then have to start setup all over, it doesnt continue from where it left off? whats goin on? i just switched the boot order to have the cdrom first instead of manually choosing it every time i reset, maybe this will help..

DiscipleDOC
11-16-06, 05:03 PM
okay so im trying to reinstall windows on another partition and after it installs some necessary files it asks to reboot, so i reboot and then have to start setup all over, it doesnt continue from where it left off? whats goin on? i just switched the boot order to have the cdrom first instead of manually choosing it every time i reset, maybe this will help..
I don't know what to tell you, bro....I really don't think you went into the right setup routine....when you do it the way that einstein was telling you, you should have been able to do a recovery.

mojoman0
11-16-06, 05:07 PM
i tried the recovery and after asking me for an amd64 processor disc, i clicked cancel because it shouldnt be needed and i dont have one...after i clicked cancel the setup just stopped...and so i reset and had to start over, but windows was messed, and now im trying to install on another partition

EDIT: well windows is now installing, hope this works, thanks guys

mojoman0
11-17-06, 01:49 AM
hey thanks guys, so i was finally able to reinstall windows onto C: and my files are still here...the repair method failed...the problem is that now all of my associations are gone such as my desktop and no programs work...is there any way to rebuild my registry or something instead of having to reinstall everything?

hirantha
11-17-06, 07:45 AM
hey thanks guys, so i was finally able to reinstall windows onto C: and my files are still here...the repair method failed...the problem is that now all of my associations are gone such as my desktop and no programs work...is there any way to rebuild my registry or something instead of having to reinstall everything?
no rebuilding unless you had a backup copy of your registry.. reinstall each one when you find you need it.

Xion X2
11-17-06, 11:34 AM
Have you overclocked the CPU or memory? It may not like your overclock, if so.

DiscipleDOC
11-17-06, 03:23 PM
What I would do if I were you is make a backup of your files. You may have a bad hd, and all you're gonna do is repeat the process.

mojoman0
11-17-06, 08:32 PM
true that, luckily my roommates are hooked up to a network so I was able to store all of my important files on his hd, think I'm gonna do a clean swipe and start over...think i should leave a small partition for emergencies like this?