PDA

View Full Version : How to control 8800gtx fan speed

billos
11-17-06, 01:27 AM
Hi,

I used to control my fan through Rivatuner 2.0RC16 for my 7900gtx but i guess that it doesn't work anymore with the 8800gtx ?

How can i control it now ?(is Ntune working for this ?)

Thx

hailNV
11-17-06, 02:02 AM
Mine works most of time but once in a while it refuses to control fan speed. And BTW this nFORCE 570 mainboard that i build for my 2nd RIG REALLY SUXXXXXXXXXX.

crainger
11-17-06, 03:41 AM
Hi,

I used to control my fan through Rivatuner 2.0RC16 for my 7900gtx but i guess that it doesn't work anymore with the 8800gtx ?

How can i control it now ?(is Ntune working for this ?)

Thx

Yep right now with the 8 series you need ntune to overclock, monitor temps and control the fan. With the 97.02 driver atleast.

The fan on the 8800GTX is now by default governed by the temp of the core, there doesn't appear to be a 2D/3D fan speed. You can't at this stage tweak at which temps the fan will slow down or speed up, but you can set a force speed anywhere from 0% to 100%.

EagleDM
12-03-06, 10:05 AM
I did it !!!

Found a way to make temp CONSIDERABLE lower than the normal with not too much problem.

The standard operating temp of this card is 67-77 for idle and 83-89 for full load, this is due to an improper way the cooler is working, I found a way to improve the stock cooler without having to add too much to the equation.

1- Put a fron fan (120mm) right in front of the card (the other side) the side that goes directly to the front entrance on the case.

2- put a BLOWER (just like the ones ASUS provides with their A8N32SLI Deluxe motherboards Sticked to the long holes in the other side of the card (that way the blower will suck that hot air and send it to the slot hole from the back, since the holes in the card are just in the RIGHT place, you only have to stick a blower there.

With that little techique my temps are now (chan ! ) 57 idle and 65 full load !

No kidding, the whole problem is related to the card not being able to extract the heat from inside since the hole on the card exhaust hot air INSIDE the case again, so, you re-heat the whole case and the temps goes crazy.

You have to FORCE the heat out with a blower, it's the best way to improve the cooling. I don't know if this is any better than just don't do anything, for performance, it's the same, but for durability, i wouln't consider not even a second to have this card on the 70 scale on idle, is just too much stress for the components on the long run.

I hope to include this tips on our next review of the card, with pictures.

cheers!

Daniel / MaximoPC.org

crainger
12-03-06, 04:01 PM
Post Pics!

MicroZ28
12-03-06, 04:09 PM
Just use the new Rivatuner it allows fan speed control.

Blacklash
12-03-06, 04:22 PM
nTune works for me and I have to apply it twice. The first time it moves it back to the default speed and the second time the requested fan speed sticks.

The high idle temps are because of the sheer size of the chip and the fact that it never drops it's speed in 2d mode unless you force it down. Sometimes I do that via ATiTool and I shave 5C off my idle temps by doing so. (59 vs 64)

noko
12-03-06, 04:52 PM
Post Pics!

I just couldn't have that air discharging outside my case, so I fixed it :D, a little bit of cardboard and tape and prestor, air from card goes back into case :). Took care of that design problem real easy (lee63).

http://home.cfl.rr.com/noko/AirDuctCorrected.jpg

Roadhog
12-03-06, 05:14 PM
I just couldn't have that air discharging outside my case, so I fixed it :D, a little bit of cardboard and tape and prestor, air from card goes back into case :). Took care of that design problem real easy (lee63).

http://home.cfl.rr.com/noko/AirDuctCorrected.jpg

wtf does that do?

SlieTheSecond
12-03-06, 05:25 PM
wtf does that do?

More like WTF period.

I'm confounded as why someone would do that

Whats the point of fans in that case?

noko
12-03-06, 05:31 PM
wtf does that do?

Keep my GTX much cooler of course. :condom:

Cyant
12-03-06, 06:41 PM
Keep my GTX much cooler of course. :condom:
You mean that if you block the hot air from exiting your case you are cooling your gfx card down?? That's ass-backward if you ask me...

Doubage
12-03-06, 08:03 PM
wtf does that do?

LOL

noko
12-04-06, 04:31 AM
You mean that if you block the hot air from exiting your case you are cooling your gfx card down?? That's ass-backward if you ask me...

Yes, that would be the case normally. I instead A/C cool the case. It is an enclosed system so having card discharge air out of case would draw in warmer and moist air from the outside. That is why I redirect air back into case. My 8800 GTX idles around 47c and at full load around 58c. If I reduce the temperture of air going into case to around 0c (freezing) then GTX idle would be around 39c.

I just got tired of a noisy, room warming, dust collecting computer and having to buy aftermarket coolers, fans, heat sinks etc. to keep components cool. Down side is a higher electric bill though.

crainger
12-04-06, 06:45 AM
How about EagleDM posts some pics.

noko you're crazy! j/k :D

Burnt_Ram
12-04-06, 08:15 AM
i use riva tuner to force my fan speed to 90%. that keeps it 47-48c idle, and 60-62c max load :)

crainger
12-04-06, 06:36 PM
i use riva tuner to force my fan speed to 90%. that keeps it 47-48c idle, and 60-62c max load :)

Isn't that kinda loud?

noko
12-04-06, 06:42 PM
Maybe I should try Rivatuner and fan speed, I don't hear the GTX, it is utterly quiet for me as a note. Besides I am not too crazy (rudolf) , the case and A/C unit has been going strong for over 3 years now, which is longer then I expected.

Burnt_Ram
12-04-06, 07:13 PM
Isn't that kinda loud?actually to be honest it's not bad atall. at 100% you can hear it, but it's suprisingly quiet. i thought it would be a lot louder! :super:

einstein_314
12-04-06, 07:45 PM
Maybe I should try Rivatuner and fan speed, I don't hear the GTX, it is utterly quiet for me as a note. Besides I am not too crazy (rudolf) , the case and A/C unit has been going strong for over 3 years now, which is longer then I expected.
Wow. That's crazy! Is the A/C unit loud though? Because most A/C units I've seen/heard are really loud and annoying...

noko
12-05-06, 04:19 AM
Wow. That's crazy! Is the A/C unit loud though? Because most A/C units I've seen/heard are really loud and annoying...

Not at all, A/C unit is outside house and vent ducted in, barely hear A/C unit when running. Case is insulated on the inside which also limits noise, plus any holes are covered over, fans run at slow speed too. It is rather quiet overall.