PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

CHEVYMAN_02
11-17-06, 12:37 PM
I think that i would rather have a Nintendo Wii than a PS3. I know the graphics aren't all that great on a Wii than that of a PS3 but to me the Wii is worth more. And i would rather pay $250 on a Wii than go pay $600 on a PS3. Plus the games for the Wii only cost 49.99

TiKiMaN1
11-17-06, 12:40 PM
I completely agree.:D

Zelda_fan
11-17-06, 12:44 PM
I honestly think Nintendo has hit a grand slam with this console.

dsessom
11-17-06, 01:13 PM
PS3 is definitely NOT worth the money. I played with one last night and it was no better than my Xbox360 as far as game play and graphics. I was not impressed.

Bearclaw
11-17-06, 01:26 PM
I honestly think Nintendo has hit a grand slam with this console.
QFT.

Namrok
11-17-06, 01:37 PM
I'm most interested in seeing market growth in a year. Especially with major news sites touting the Wii as the great new thing. I mean if you read the stories, even the major news sites have bought into the Wii being for everyone, where as the PS3/360 are always reported on with the presumption that these things are for the hardcore. I also seem to remember seeing not long ago that the gaming industry had record growth...but that the Nintendo DS accounted for something like 75% of that growth. Which sort of means that all other consoles has less growth than usual (although still had growth) and the DS just blew the market open.

zoomy942
11-17-06, 04:07 PM
heres the thing... the ps3 will have it followers. you know the type, the fanbois who swear it will solve world hunger. but, from what i have seen, in person and online, it looks not too much different from the 360. so poeple with a 360 will just get more games for it. and the 360 is cheaper, and most of the hardware bugs are worked out. the ps3... whjo knows, in a week after heavy play, it may start to die. as for wii, its a complete departure from the norm. it brings back that happy feeling of gaming and yelling at your buddies like the old nintendo powerpad used to do. nintendo is going to hit this one out of the park.

by the way, nintendo is also not taking a $300 loss on each console sold like sony is.

Namrok
11-17-06, 04:24 PM
heres the thing... the ps3 will have it followers. you know the type, the fanbois who swear it will solve world hunger. but, from what i have seen, in person and online, it looks not too much different from the 360. so poeple with a 360 will just get more games for it. and the 360 is cheaper, and most of the hardware bugs are worked out. the ps3... whjo knows, in a week after heavy play, it may start to die. as for wii, its a complete departure from the norm. it brings back that happy feeling of gaming and yelling at your buddies like the old nintendo powerpad used to do. nintendo is going to hit this one out of the park.

by the way, nintendo is also not taking a $300 loss on each console sold like sony is.

I actually read a rather interesting article about how with the massive losses Sony takes on every PS3 sold, the relative failure of the PSP, and the massive battery recalls going on with just about every laptop that uses a Sony battery, among several other failed endeavors, that there is a not remote chance that Sony could face bankruptcy if the PS3 is anything but the most amazing success ever seen.

Bearclaw
11-17-06, 04:25 PM
I actually read a rather interesting article about how with the massive losses Sony takes on every PS3 sold, the relative failure of the PSP, and the massive battery recalls going on with just about every laptop that uses a Sony battery, among several other failed endeavors, that there is a not remote chance that Sony could face bankruptcy if the PS3 is anything but the most amazing success ever seen.
Good point.

GamerGuyX
11-17-06, 04:26 PM
I never got my PS3 unfortunately (long story).

So that means I have enough money for a couple Wii's. I just don't really see the appeal of it though.

Bearclaw
11-17-06, 04:27 PM
I never got my PS3 unfortunately (long story).

So that means I have enough money for a couple Wii's. I just don't really see the appeal of it though.
Tell the long story. Were interested.

zoomy942
11-17-06, 04:29 PM
and let us convice you that the wii is great:)

Gaco
11-18-06, 02:16 PM
Lol :D

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=22373

Marvel_us
11-18-06, 02:22 PM
Target across the street will have 100 of them. No line so far, hopefully there won't be a really long one later.

H3avyM3tal
11-18-06, 02:40 PM
Thats not a very good "opinion" (not an opinion really...)

Its like saying: I'd rather buy a football than a shoe...
Its not a very good comparison is it? If you would have said you hate the ps3, dont like the games or something along those lines, than I would say good for you :) But you went and said something strange, so I wont say good for you, cuz I didnt get you :/

Quickstar
11-18-06, 02:52 PM
The PS3 is a better investment. I personally think Blu-Ray will outlast HD-DVD and, because of the greater power that the PS3 possesses, the graphics will reach a greater maximum than the x360. Of course, when it becomes obvious that the PS3 is better, the prices should drop. It's important to note that HD DVD is optional on x360s meaning its unlikely you'll see any games being released on this format. Furthermore, the HD DVD add-on for the x360 is for movies only, as MS Moore said, and it'll cost something like $200. So if you want a 20gb PS3 with Blu-ray it'll cost $500. If you want a 20gb Xbox 360 with an HD DVD drive it'll cost $600.

When comparing costs, look at the realities. Personally, I think you can have a PS3 or X360 with one controller and be satisfied with their singleplayer games. With the Wii, I think you'd need at least one extra controller because that system is about enjoying fun and silly games with friends. Right away, that brings the Wii to a cost of $250 + $60 which equals more than a Core Xbox 360; and, thats essentially for a gamecube with 2 unique controllers.

Also, its no secret that the PS2 is a success. When you read this article and compare it to Sony's strategy for the PS3, it makes it look like Sony knows what they're doing.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3155102

six_storm
11-18-06, 04:12 PM
^^^

Yeah, Sony will do alright with the PS3. HOWEVER, they have some MAJOR work to do with their games. Obviously, there will be better games released and things will even out. I don't think that the PS3 will dominate over other systems this generation though. Sony has had their time, but the torch has been passed IMO.

evilchris
11-18-06, 04:27 PM
I personally think Blu-Ray will outlast HD-DVD and,

Do you have a reason for this belief? I'd love to hear it. No one with an HDTV prefers Blu-Ray unless they like inferior movies. It's not a PS3 vs X360 thing, where opinions are at hand. HD-DVD provides superior PQ, superior sound, has more titles on the shelf, has superior interactivity, cheaper players, dual format support. I'm trying to think of something Blu-ray does well in comparison.

I have never seen a Blu-Ray supporter that has seen both HD-DVD and Blu-ray. Most Blu-ray supporters are people who have never seen either but have PS2's and PS3 has BR so BR == teh win.

If anyone is in the San Diego I will demo both formats to you. I will use a title that is on both formats, MI3. This is a new release, so no BR excuses. The difference is night and day. The $200 X360 HD-DVD addon looks better than the $999 Samsung BD player playing the same movie.

If BR wins, consumers lose.

OWA
11-18-06, 05:19 PM
One thing I think Blu-ray has as an advantage is that there are probably now more people with them. Since the X360 didn't include HD support by default, you end up comparing the number of people that have purchased stand-alone HD players versus the number of blu-ray players that people will now have because of the PS3. A lot of people aren't going to care about the differences in them unless they're hardcore A/V enthusiasts and hardcore enthusiasts usually make up just a small part of the market. So, I'd guess most would think, why buy a HD player when I already have a Blu-ray player. That is, the PS3 has essentially provided easy access to blu-ray players to every day people instead of just the hardcore enthusiasts that would normally purchase high-end A/V equipment. Of course, if the PS3 doesn't end up selling well, that's all a moot point.

GamerGuyX
11-18-06, 05:19 PM

Amen to that.

evilchris
11-18-06, 05:39 PM
One thing I think Blu-ray has as an advantage is that there are probably now more people with them. Since the X360 didn't include HD support by default, you end up comparing the number of people that have purchased stand-alone HD players versus the number of blu-ray players that people will now have because of the PS3. A lot of people aren't going to care about the differences in them unless they're hardcore A/V enthusiasts and hardcore enthusiasts usually make up just a small part of the market. So, I'd guess most would think, why buy a HD player when I already have a Blu-ray player. That is, the PS3 has essentially provided easy access to blu-ray players to every day people instead of just the hardcore enthusiasts that would normally purchase high-end A/V equipment. Of course, if the PS3 doesn't end up selling well, that's all a moot point.

The PS3 will not have an impact on the "format war".

"Every day people" aren't PS3 buyers. HD-DVD players are cheaper than PS3's. When the average consumer decides to buy a new HD player, will they buy a game console or an actual player? The Toshiba HD-A1 is now $399, which is cheaper than a PS3. It will be interesting if we can find out the X360 add-on sales numbers. It seems to be the first add-on that is a wild success. Anyone buying the add-on is buying it for movies. You can't gauge the number of PS3 users who will buy BD movies.

People like Magus would have you believe the PS2 "helped DVD take hold" which is ludicrous as DVD "took hold" 2 years before the PS2 came out. Do you think that only "hardcore enthusiasts" were buying DVD players before the PS2 came out? Come on. Do you think that no one with a PS2 has a stand alone player as well? "well I've got a high quality PS2 DVD player why would I want actual DVD image quality that a standalone would give?"

The average consumer also doesn't know wtf a "Blu-ray" is. What a stupid name for the format. Anyone can figure out what "HD-DVD" is. There is also a CRITICAL advantage HD-DVD has: dual format discs. Someone with just a DVD player can buy one, and have the HD version for the future. Blockbuster is aware of this.

Enthusiasts have a greater impact than a lot of people seem to consider. Who is the better customer:

1. PS3 user who buys 1 BD movie every few months.

2. A/V enthusiast who was buying 200+ DVD's a year and now owns 42 HD-DVD titles? ( me )

Number of installed players won't decide who wins, movie sales will. HD-DVD is annihilating BD in movie sales.

If 1 million PS3's are in American homes by January, how many BD movie sales does that translate to? I'd wager a hell of a lot less than HD-DVD movies bought by 250,000 HD-DVD standalone customers.

Quickstar
11-18-06, 06:29 PM
If 1 million PS3's are in homes, think of the incentive to buy BD when they don't own an HD-DVD player.

evilchris
11-18-06, 06:31 PM
If 1 million PS3's are in homes, think of the incentive to buy BD when they don't own an HD-DVD player.

Irrelevant. You're thinking console users are the only consumers interested in HD. The PS3 isn't going to impact the format war.

Watch Amazon sales ranks for HD-DVD versus BD for the next few months. I wager you won't see BD gain any ground.

I don't where the idea that a gaming console is going to influence a movie format war came from...

Titles matter. HD-DVD has more despite the Sony hype of "BD has more supporting studios". Where are they? I am sure Magus can link us some "coming soon" lists, but I go by what's REAL and on the shelf.

Quickstar
11-18-06, 06:51 PM
I just hope GTA IV will be released on one BD with tons of content :)

FCGD
11-18-06, 08:07 PM
No one with an HDTV prefers Blu-Ray unless they like inferior movies. It's not a PS3 vs X360 thing, where opinions are at hand. HD-DVD provides superior PQ, superior sound, has more titles on the shelf, has superior interactivity, cheaper players, dual format support. I'm trying to think of something Blu-ray does well in comparison.

No one with a high performance pc prefers consoles unless they like inferior gaming experiences. It's not like a HD-DVD vs BluRay thing, where opinions are at hand. High performance PC's provide superior IQ, superior sound, has more titles on the shelf, has superior interactivity, and more extensive format support. I'm trying to think of something consoles do well in comparison.

Nope, nothing.

If consoles win, consumers lose.