PDA

View Full Version : Resistor guide for GeForce 8800 GTX boards

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Xion X2
11-17-06, 01:11 PM
Regarding the resistor problem on the 8800GTX's, you guys may want to take a look at this:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/417/1/

Defective resistor (68C):
http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/417/8800gtx_68c.jpg

Replaced resistor (40C):
http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/417/8800gtx_40c.jpg

I've checked both of mine and they're "68C" which were supposed to be replaced with the "40C" resistor. So, despite nVidia's assurance to everyone that they replaced all these faulty cards in time for launch, I'm here to tell you they didn't. And I bought these from one of the biggest online retailers there is: newegg. If they can't even recall the cards from one of the biggest online retailers out there, then I don't want to even imagine whether or not they were able to recall the ones from Bill and Jane's computer shop in Blitzkriegville, Idaho, along with all the other retail stores that abound all over the place.

This could very well be why I'm getting the terrible slowdown in some of my games when changing settings in my control panel and could also be the reason my games are pausing and freezing when in SLI. The random slowdown only happened in SLI mode at first but is now happening with just a single card installed as well.

My patience is wearing thin with this company right now. This is three straight screwups in a row. Nvidia really needs to get on the ball with their quality control or they're going to lose a customer for good. And I have a feeling that I'm not the only one they'll lose due to their consistent screwups as of late:

First they had the foulup with the 7900-series where cards were artifacting and dying left and right due to a supposed voltage regulator / memory issue. My first 7900GTX, an XFX model, was DOA--the only card I've ever had shipped like that. I replaced it with a BFG that still froze up on me occasionally when playing Oblivion and Tomb Raider Legends. My friends' 1900XTs had neither of these problems.

Next, they replaced a perfectly functional control panel with a buggy piece of crap that cost many GX2 owners around a 50% loss in performance. Guys were returning their cards left and right thinking they were faulty or a rehash of the problems with the 7900GT/GTX's, when it was strictly a software foulup on nVidia's part.

And now this scandal. On a brand new model card and the one following a series of cards that were trouble-prone. I mean, you think they would've learned their lesson after all that, but apparently not.

Just when are they going to get their act straight? If there was any question about these cards all being replaced, then they shouldn't have launched when they did. A delay of a week or so in order to double-check and make sure all defective cards were recalled wouldn't have killed them. Now I have to yank them out of my system and ship them back to newegg and wait for replacements. I'm really glad that I stayed up the entire night around launch day to be one of the first to order these. Boy, did that pay off.

:thumbdwn:

TiKiMaN1
11-17-06, 01:14 PM
Well fetch! Have you called BFG to tell them about it? BFG TECH have replaced cards for me in the past and they did it very quickly?

Dang I'm sorry man.:(

|MaguS|
11-17-06, 01:20 PM
Weren't BFG cards the only ones affected? Why blame Nvidia when its clearly BFG not fixing the issue.

EDIT: Just check both of mine... Mine have the 40C.

TiKiMaN1
11-17-06, 01:20 PM
I will see if mine says 40 when it is delivered to me today, although EVGA has given their word on this one. So I trust them fully.

nekrosoft13
11-17-06, 01:23 PM
Weren't BFG cards the only ones affected? Why blame Nvidia when its clearly BFG not fixing the issue.

yeah excactly, nvidia didn't tell anyone to put those resistors. nvidia only makes the reference design and gpu, actuall cards are build by someone else.

a_big_burger
11-17-06, 01:34 PM
Good info. I pointed out early that both of BFG cards I got from Fry's Electronics had issue. I need to check if my eVGA has the correct resistor. But thanks for the good info!! YOu are awesome!

Regarding the resistor problem on the 8800GTX's, you guys may want to take a look at this:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/417/1/

I've checked both of mine and they're "68C" which were supposed to be replaced with the "40C" resistor. So, despite nVidia's assurance to everyone that they replaced all these faulty cards in time for launch, I'm here to tell you they didn't. And I bought these from one of the biggest online retailers there is: newegg. If they can't even recall the cards from one of the biggest online retailers out there, then I don't want to even imagine whether or not they were able to recall the ones from Bill and Jane's computer shop in Blitzkriegville, Idaho, along with all the other retail stores that abound all over the place.

This could very well be why I'm getting the terrible slowdown in some of my games when changing settings in my control panel and could also be the reason my games are pausing and freezing when in SLI. The random slowdown only happened in SLI mode at first but is now happening with just a single card installed as well.

My patience is wearing thin with this company right now. This is three straight screwups in a row:

First they had the foulup with the 7900-series where cards were artifacting and dying left and right due to a supposed voltage regulator / memory issue. My first 7900GTX, an XFX model, was DOA--the only card I've ever had shipped like that. I replaced it with a BFG that still froze up on me occasionally when playing Oblivion and Tomb Raider Legends. My friends' 1900XTs had neither of these problems.

Next, they replaced a perfectly functional control panel with a buggy piece of crap that cost many users around a 50% loss in performance on their 7950GX2's. Guys were returning their cards left and right thinking they were faulty or a rehash of the problems with the 7900GT/GTX's, when it was strictly a software foulup on nVidia's part.

And now this scandal. On a brand new model card and the one following a series of cards that were trouble-prone. I mean, you think they would've learned their lesson after all that, but apparently not.

Just when are they going to get their sh!t straight? If there was any question about these cards all being replaced, then they shouldn't have launched when they did. Now I have to yank them out of my system and ship them back to newegg and wait for replacements. I'm really glad that I stayed up the entire night around launch day to be one of the first to order these. Boy, did that pay off.

mike686
11-17-06, 01:35 PM

No, everyone's were affected. The cards are all made by the same company. My first one from Fry's had a 60C now my one from Newegg has a 39C. Both EVGA cards.

XionX2, why not ask BFG for a cross ship RMA so you don't have to be without a video card?

a_big_burger
11-17-06, 01:39 PM
WTF! I thought you had the card a long time ago!! :D
I will see if mine says 40 when it is delivered to me today, although EVGA has given their word on this one. So I trust them fully.

jAkUp
11-17-06, 01:41 PM
No, everyone's were affected. The cards are all made by the same company. My first one from Fry's had a 60C now my one from Newegg has a 39C. Both EVGA cards.

XionX2, why not ask BFG for a cross ship RMA so you don't have to be without a video card?

All cards were affected, and the add in partners were responsible for fixing the resistor.

Your first EVGA card you received before the launch, that is why the resistor was not changed.

nekrosoft13
11-17-06, 01:48 PM
btw, where are those resistors? how can you tell?

anyone got a picture or some info?

jAkUp
11-17-06, 01:49 PM
btw, where are those resistors? how can you tell?

anyone got a picture or some info?

Its posted in the first post.

nekrosoft13
11-17-06, 01:53 PM
Its posted in the first post.

ok

in the link? i will have to look at home, websence at work won't let me in.

thanks

Bokishi
11-17-06, 01:54 PM
I'm really glad that I stayed up the entire night around launch day to be one of the first to order these. Boy, did that pay off.

I share your pain man :thumbdwn:

CaptNKILL
11-17-06, 01:55 PM
I just checked mine and it says 39C. I haven't had a single problem with the card other than that funny beep when I shut down.

Until I have a problem, "39" is close enough to "40" to make me happy. :o

Jonelo
11-17-06, 01:58 PM
The affaire in France .

lhttp://www.nokytech.net/[maj]_tres_gros_problemes_pour-5509-a.html

http://forum.hardware.fr/

http://www.generation-3d.com/-Petits-soucis-pour-les-8800,ac7396.htm

http://www.puissance-pc.net/content/view/131/50/

http://www.puissance-pc.net/content/view/130/50/

The commentaries of a companion who lives in Paris, and who on sale saw several 8800 before day 8.

http://www.nextgpu.com/foro/viewtopic.php?t=328&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Para terminar esta misma gente pudo ponerse en contacto con nVidia France, concretmente con el Product PR Manager de Francia y Belgica, Stephane Quentin, el cual recalca el trabajo impresionante q acaba de hacer nVidia para que ninguna tarjeta defectuosa saliera al mercado pero que desgraciadamente hay un mercado paralelo, que proviene de la inportacion, el cual nVidia no puede controlar. Al parecer es de ahi de donde proviene la Gigabyte GTS, ya que segun el seņor Quentin, GigaByte no ha puesto ninguna 8800GTS en la circulacion francesa.

Por mi parte decir que si bien es cierto q ha habido un descontrol total con la salida de esta tarjeta (muchos las han podido comprar en dia 7 y mismo el 6 de noviembre), las tarjetas defectuosas salen de diferentes distribuidoras nacionales, no son tiendas de 20 m˛ regentadas por 3 chinos y la verdad es que son bastantes las tarjetas que se ven involucradas.

translation

but that unfortunately exist a parallel market, that comes from the import, which nVidia cannot control. Apparently it is of there from where Gigabyte GTS comes, since according to Mr. Quentin, Gigabyte has not put any 8800GTS in the French circulation. ... has been a total uncontrol with the exit of this card (many they have been able them to buy in same day 7 and the 6 of November).The defective cards leave different national distributors, they are not stores of 20 ms ˛ run by 3 Chinese ..

technoid
11-17-06, 02:14 PM
To me this is NVIDIA's error. From what we know the BOM (Bill Of Materials) had and error for that resistor and the contract manufacturer used the BOM supplied by NVIDIA to build the boards. All boards from all companies are the same at this point and are reference boards built to NVIDIA's specs.

Xion X2
11-17-06, 02:22 PM

Firstly, nVidia is directly responsible for these board partners and making sure their quality control is up to par. That much should be common sense.

Secondly, as mike686 said, BFG's weren't the only ones affected. His was an eVGA and had the resistor problem. And I know I've heard Malficar say he was having to force his back and forth between 2D-3D mode with ATi Tool so his may have the wrong resistor as well. His was also an eVGA.

CaptNKILL
11-17-06, 02:27 PM
I'm glad I waited then.

I'm guessing I would have noticed the problem by now if mine had it.

The 39C resistor must be "close enough" to prevent the problem.

Jasonx82
11-17-06, 02:27 PM
Firstly, nVidia is directly responsible for these board partners and making sure their quality control is up to par. That much should be common sense.

Secondly, as mike686 said, BFG's weren't the only ones affected. His was an eVGA and had the resistor problem. And I know I've heard Malficar say he was having to force his back and forth between 2D-3D mode with ATi Tool so his may have the wrong resistor as well. His was also an eVGA.

Didnt Mike686 get one of the old batches? Since he got his before launch?

Xion X2
11-17-06, 02:34 PM
Just got off the phone w/ BFG Tech support and they're willing to set up an RMA. They kept asking me if I saw a black dot on the UPC code sticker on the back--apparently that corresponds to the ones that were swapped out. Mine don't have that, and I informed them of the 68C resistor error on both. I tried coaxing them into letting me upgrade to the water-cooled versions (told them I'd pay the price difference) since this is already an inconvenience, but they weren't willing to do that, either. Not very friendly tech-support--or very helpful. Guy on the phone I first talked to was really dense and had no clue what I was talking about and was also rude to me when I simply asked to confirm w/ his supervisor that they wouldn't let me upgrade to the water-cooled GTX's if I paid the difference. I mean, I had to send the f8ckin cards back anyway since they were defective. I don't see what the big deal is if I'm willing to pay the difference in price to upgrade, but oh well.

So, now I might just get a refund through newegg and wait for the water-cooled versions to hit retail and purchase those since it doesn't void the warranty on them, as opposed to wc'ng regular cards.

Xion X2
11-17-06, 02:36 PM
Didnt Mike686 get one of the old batches? Since he got his before launch?

Perhaps, but I don't really see your point since I bought mine on launch day. If mine's fouled up, then there are bound to be plenty others. I've seen a # of individuals on the forums complaining about the slowdown effect when exiting and re-entering games--a classic example of the resistor problem and the card not switching back and forth between 2D-3D mode properly.

|MaguS|
11-17-06, 02:37 PM
Are you actually having problems with your card?

Xion X2
11-17-06, 02:40 PM
^ If you're asking me, then yes. I mentioned that in my first post. I'm getting major slowdown after changing graphics settings in my control panel. My SLI setup went from running Oblivion at 90FPS with 16xAA to 17FPS. Ultimate slideshow.

Later on I tried out just one card and it does the same thing. Nothing solves the problem except a driver uninstall/reinstall, but as soon as I go back in and change graphics settings it does the same damn thing again.

OWA
11-17-06, 02:41 PM
It's surprising you got bad ones since you said you had the double seal where it looked like the cards had been checked.

I don't have a magnifying glass strong enough to tell on mine but since they seem to be working properly, I guess I won't worry about it too much.

SH0DAN
11-17-06, 02:41 PM
Are you actually having problems with your card?

He isnt sure himself...