PDA

View Full Version : westinghouse 37W3 HDTV

retsam
11-17-06, 09:32 PM
so what do you guys think about this 1080p hdtv ? i can get it for about 1K.....

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=56

what do you guys think and does anyone have this HDTV?

Rakeesh
11-17-06, 10:21 PM
I don't currently have one, but I am already planning on buying one myself eventually. I've heard from many that it works great as a PC monitor as well as a TV, and I intend to use it for both. One of very few TV's of its size in existence that both accepts a true 1080p input and outputs a true 1080p picture. Almost all 1080p TV's do not accept a 1080p input, rather only take a 1080i input and convert it to 1080p, which is stupid IMO.

This is a pretty popular TV, but many people tend to shy away from it just because they are afraid of a brand they haven't heard of before (ironically westinghouse was the first company to ever make a TV.) There is also a 42" version available, which is the one I am actually intending on getting.

BTW where did you find it for $1k?

retsam
11-18-06, 02:13 AM
heheh i got it from the nvnews pricegrabber.

here (http://nvnews.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=18577153&search=westinghouse+37w3)

Heinz68
11-18-06, 03:01 AM
so what do you guys think about this 1080p hdtv ? i can get it for about 1K.....

what do you guys think and does anyone have this HDTV?First, technically it's not TV, it's monitor and you need a HDTV tuner for it to be TV.

I don't have the monitor but know a lot about them. Going to buy one as soon as I can get it in Canada.
BestBuy CA for now only sells the older LVM-37w1 model.

"riptide" has the LVM-37w3 model and was always promoting it at this and other forums, I believe "OWA" has also the monitor so you should PM them.

The best place to learn more about the monitor is AVSForum (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=655280&page=143&pp=30), there is about 4300 post long thread about the
Westy LVM-37w3, most very happy users.

The monitor is made by Taiwan "Chi Mei Optoelectronics" one of the top 5 LCD panel manufacturers in the world, they even make some panels for SONY.

CMO bought Westinghouse Digital to promote the monitors and TV in North America.

The about 1K is sure great price but make sure it's reputable seller. US BestBuy usually sells the monitor for about $1500, but most time they're on sale for about $150 less

Zelda_fan
11-18-06, 03:09 AM

what do you guys think and does anyone have this HDTV?

I just pulled the trigger on this one. Ordered it off JR.com came to about 1300 after tax and shipping. I could have gotten it cheaper, but JR is actually a retail store located in Manhattan, so I could return the thing easily if I have any problems.

Since I live in Manhattan, it should be at my apartment the day it ships. I'll likely get it monday or tuesday, and I'll give you my opinion on it when I get ahold of it.

I did a lot of research on AVS forums, and it seems to be a pretty good TV, and an absolute bargin for the price.

toxikneedle
11-18-06, 03:12 AM
I just pulled the trigger on this one. Ordered it off JR.com came to about 1300 after tax and shipping. I could have gotten it cheaper, but JR is actually a retail store located in Manhattan, so I could return the thing easily if I have any problems.

Since I live in Manhattan, it should be at my apartment the day it ships. I'll likely get it monday or tuesday, and I'll give you my opinion on it when I get ahold of it.

I did a lot of research on AVS forums, and it seems to be a pretty good TV, and an absolute bargin for the price.
BTW, my school's right next to JR and I went there a lot when shopping for a TV. Their service reps, in the TV section, are the biggest assholes I ever met. Just for future reference.

Rakeesh
11-18-06, 03:17 AM
Here's the AVS thread for the 47" version:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=678038

Seems best buy has the 47" on sale for $1800 right now. The only issue that some people keep bringing up about this TV is something about brightness banding, but everybody who brings it up says it isn't very noticeable.

Zelda_fan
11-18-06, 03:18 AM
BTW, my school's right next to JR and I went there a lot when shopping for a TV. Their service reps, in the TV section, are the biggest assholes I ever met. Just for future reference.

well I called them on the phone and they seemed fairly nice, but yeah, I don't even bother going to retail stores to ask the people about the TVs. Most of them don't' know ****. I just do my research on a place like AVS forums, and maybe walk into the store to see what the model actually looks like.

The main thing is that they have a physical location that I can go to and bitch to someone if God forbid I get shipped a busted display.

They are also an authorized dealer so it just gives me more peace of mind.

toxikneedle
11-18-06, 03:22 AM
well I called them on the phone and they seemed fairly nice.

The main thing is that they have a physical location that I can go to and bitch to someone if God forbid I get shipped a busted display.

They are also an authorized dealer so it just gives me more peace of mind.
Oh yeah, I wouldn't hesitate about buying from them for a second.... but just in person they never want to "help" you, on the floor. Of course your mileage may vary based on who you get.

Heinz68
11-18-06, 03:33 AM
well I called them on the phone and they seemed fairly nice, but yeah, I don't even bother going to retail stores to ask the people about the TVs. Most of them don't' know ****. I just do my research on a place like AVS forums, and maybe walk into the store to see what the model actually looks like.

They are also an authorized dealer so it just gives me more peace of mind.Sure is better to make such purchase from physical location and authorized dealer.
Good luck with the monitor and lets see some picture and review.