PDA

View Full Version : 8800 gts Cold boot issue ?

Nv40
11-17-06, 11:40 PM
I began to experience some problems in my system ,after installed a geforce8800 gts. When i turn on the power ,the machine boot for a couple of seconds auto shutdown. the motehrboard BEEP sound can be heard.. for every second. before the machine turn off. (the sounds does not comes from the speaker of the gpu ,that u can hear when u forget to conect the pci xpress conector.) after playing with the power button on my PC for 2 or 3 times the machine boots. and the annoying sound stop around the time windows shows. after that everything is Ok. can play games for hours without issue. can restart my machine without issue. the problems begins when i disconect the power cable or start the machine in cold boot.

i have a brand new ANtec smartpower 500
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=26500

The issues never happen with my previos 7600gt. my new system is a core2 e6600 ,2gbram ,160gb seagate sata and geforce 8800gts.
as u see i dont have many things ,that could justify the need for a another bigger PSU.

it seems that contrary to Nvidia recomendations a 480watts PSU is not enough even for a GTS. So unless someone have a solution , i will be looking for a bigger PSU. any feedback for a good one ,that doesnt cost a fortune are welcome.

any ideas ? how to solve the issue?

ManOnFire
11-18-06, 03:13 AM
I run my 8800GTS on a Fortron 400W psu, i used a dedicated internal cable for the 8800GTS and connected the rest of the cables to drives etc.

nrdstrm
11-18-06, 03:20 AM
Yeah, that PSU should be fine. I use an Enermax 535 for my GTX (wants 30A on the 12V). It works great (has dual 18A 12V). Are you using a seperate power line for the video card (IE, not split from an HDD, CDROM, etc)?

Lfctony
11-18-06, 05:17 AM
I began to experience some problems in my system ,after installed a geforce8800 gts. When i turn on the power ,the machine boot for a couple of seconds auto shutdown. the motehrboard BEEP sound can be heard.. for every second. before the machine turn off. (the sounds does not comes from the speaker of the gpu ,that u can hear when u forget to conect the pci xpress conector.) after playing with the power button on my PC for 2 or 3 times the machine boots. and the annoying sound stop around the time windows shows. after that everything is Ok. can play games for hours without issue. can restart my machine without issue. the problems begins when i disconect the power cable or start the machine in cold boot.

i have a brand new ANtec smartpower 500
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=26500

The issues never happen with my previos 7600gt. my new system is a core2 e6600 ,2gbram ,160gb seagate sata and geforce 8800gts.
as u see i dont have many things ,that could justify the need for a another bigger PSU.

it seems that contrary to Nvidia recomendations a 480watts PSU is not enough even for a GTS. So unless someone have a solution , i will be looking for a bigger PSU. any feedback for a good one ,that doesnt cost a fortune are welcome.

any ideas ? how to solve the issue?

Mate the Nvidia recommendations are fine, you have people running with LESS than the recommended 500W without problems. In your case, it can be either a faulty card, or a PSU issue, meaning a problem with the PSU. That PSU should have enough power for your system.