PDA

View Full Version : Water cooled my EVGA 8800GTX, worked out great.

dceremuga
11-18-06, 08:19 PM
I have a koolance Exos (original model). I slapped my old koolance chipset/video card block on the core and put BGA sinks on the RAM. It now idles at 45C and maxes out at 49C. Oh yeah. I also put a BGA heatsink on another processor I found underneath the OEM heatsink that was being cooled, it is close the the VGA connectors. to top it off, I put a 80mm quiet panflo fan over the card to put a breeze over the BGA heatsinks. Goes to show that even with that older block I have no issues. It fit perfectly. I used nTune and have been running it at 600 core 950 memory. Played BF 2142 all night.

Here is a picture of the back side of the heatsink so you can get an idea of how many places you will have to cool. Notice they use some sort of thermal goey tape for the RAM/Misc. Processor and other elements. I kept it on the OEM heatsink in case I need to remount it for Warranty reasons.

http://www.ceremuga.com/images/evga.jpg

I feel much better now. I'm glad EVGA doesn't void the warranty when you change out the heatsink, as long as you replace it back to the OEM if you have a problem. EVGA is #1. I think dropping the temps like this only prolongs the life.

I love the card, this is coming from a 1900XTX. So far not a problem with anything.

fatal1ty
11-18-06, 08:55 PM
Got some pics of the water cooled card? I'm at 660 / 1000 on mine on air, I might pickup a DD full block when they are out.

dceremuga
11-18-06, 10:01 PM
Guess I'll have to break open the case and take one. Nothing special. Thermaltake BGA heatsinks and a Koolance chipset water block.

I didn't want to remove it, so here you go.

http://www.ceremuga.com/images/water1.jpg

http://www.ceremuga.com/images/water2.jpg

dceremuga
11-18-06, 10:04 PM
BTW, make fun of all the wires and I'll have to kill ya. :D

It is only a mid tower case. But I love it. I have 4 HD's and 2 DVD Recorders. Everything Fits, but rather snug. I have 6 quiet fans to vent all that heat from the drives.

dceremuga
11-18-06, 10:05 PM
Got some pics of the water cooled card? I'm at 660 / 1000 on mine on air, I might pickup a DD full block when they are out.

I would run it higher, but why. Until I play something that I see makes it work, I'm find with the current clocks. BTW, I the memory doesn't even get warm. I still believe that there is no need to cool the memory.

fatal1ty
11-18-06, 10:06 PM
BTW, make fun of all the wires and I'll have to kill ya. :D

It is only a mid tower case. But I love it. I have 4 HD's and 2 DVD Recorders. Everything Fits, but rather snug. I have 6 quiet fans to vent all that heat from the drives.

Thats a whole lotta mess of ..........wi.r.....erm...fans. yeah, alot of fans!

;)

dceremuga
11-18-06, 10:08 PM
Thats a whole lotta mess of ..........wi.r.....erm...fans. yeah, alot of fans!

;)

Yeah, If I had ROOM I could do some wire management, but putting the 8800GTX about did away with the idea of having any extra room. The back end of the card give 1" of room for my SATA drive connections to 1 of my drives. Also my power supply has more free connections than a hooker.

Xion X2
11-19-06, 12:30 AM
Nice setup and temps, bro! My WC'd edition is on the way and should be here either Monday or Tuesday. Can't wait to see what kind of overclock/temps I can reach.

stevemedes
11-19-06, 01:08 AM
I defintely dig it.

dceremuga
11-19-06, 01:32 AM
I defintely dig it.

Thanks. My setups isn't "Bling", but it gets the job done. Nobody see's my computer, so I do it for functionality. I think this is the first time I've taken a picture. I'm just happy that the 8800GTX didn't dissappoint me. I was really worried. I've gotten spoiled from ATI.

dceremuga
11-19-06, 01:34 AM
Nice setup and temps, bro! My WC'd edition is on the way and should be here either Monday or Tuesday. Can't wait to see what kind of overclock/temps I can reach.

And you. I wish I could afford to replace my 4 gigs of RAM and go all out with a Core 2 system, but I just can't justify it. If I do, I'm going Quad Core. I'm jelous bro.

dceremuga
11-19-06, 06:32 PM
I just ran a thorough temperature test with nTune running in the background. Under a 1 hour load, the temperature of the core never topped out over 49C with my water block. I was wrong with my temperature readings. This thing stays very cool.

Xion X2
11-19-06, 06:44 PM
Sweet! :D

And that's w/ it overclocked, right? Just out of curiosity, what resolution are you running at? I've noticed that the higher the res you run at the hotter cards tend to get. I'm trying to get an idea of what kind of temps I can expect when mine gets here on Monday-Tuesday.

Bearclaw
11-19-06, 08:17 PM
Yeah, If I had ROOM I could do some wire management, but putting the 8800GTX about did away with the idea of having any extra room. The back end of the card give 1" of room for my SATA drive connections to 1 of my drives. Also my power supply has more free connections than a hooker.
Have jakup take a look for you and do some wire managment. After his latest wire job, i think he is a god at it.

Spartan 117
11-19-06, 10:02 PM
yeah, he is good at that stuff, if I water cool sumday, ill get you guys to help me out :)

Blacklash
11-20-06, 05:28 AM
I want to keep my Evga for a possible StepUp. Who knows what's going to happen. Hope Dangerden sells those waterblocks separately.

Xion X2
11-20-06, 08:56 AM
^ They do. Sabersix just bought two of them for his setup through a friend he knows. I think they should be officially releasing them either this week or next.