PDA

View Full Version : I'm the new guy that wants a new PC.

jesterekim
11-18-06, 09:45 PM
Hello fellow NVnews members. I currently registered after reading some posts, and it seems like there are alot of people around here that know their stuff about computers.

Anyways, I need to build a new computer. The last computer I built was a P4 Prescott @ 3.0GHz, with a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. So now it is time for me build a new rig. I have a budget of $3,800-$4,000 USD. I'm having trouble selecting a few things. And I have some questions about some new technologies out there, especially the PPU.

I plan to go for a Conroe X6800, with two 8800 GTX's. I'm having a hard time deciding which memory I should purchase. Corsair, Crucial, OCZ, G. Skills? And which PSU I need to run this monster rig. I want a PSU that has individual outputs and that will also run well. Any suggestions? Also, for the X-Fi Elite Pro, do I need to use the external sound board? Or I wouldn't even need the 'Elite Pro'?

I'm also curious about the physic processors. Does this thing really help? Do I need this for a monster rig? And any of you guys heard of the "Killer NIC?" It's a $280 NIC that is suppose to increase the framerates and lower your ping. http://www.killernic.com/KillerNic/

I would appreciate it if you guys can help me build a new rig.

hirantha
11-18-06, 09:54 PM
First of all, Welcome!

Second look at some peoples sigs where they have a 680i (this is the newest hot shot motherboard chipset available) motherboard and observe the rest of the setup. You can get a pretty good idea.

Third you should subscribe to Maximum PC Magazine. Its Made just for the people like us, PC maniacs. :D

jesterekim
11-18-06, 09:58 PM
First of all, Welcome!

Second look at some peoples sigs where they have a 680i (this is the newest hot shot motherboard chipset available) motherboard and observe the rest of the setup. You can get a pretty good idea.

Third you should subscribe to Maximum PC Magazine. Its Made just for the people like us, PC maniacs. :D

Thanks, and yes I was looking into people's sigs for their rig setup, especially jaKUPs. But I have read that the 680i has some SATA issues or what not. I just need stability because my old comp never crashed on me once. I'm from Queens, btw. :D

hirantha
11-18-06, 10:05 PM
Thanks, and yes I was looking into people's sigs for their rig setup, especially jaKUPs. But I have read that the 680i has some SATA issues or what not. I just need stability because my old comp never crashed on me once. I'm from Queens, btw. :D

hmm i havenít heard anyone complaining about SATA issues with that chipset, but wait till the pros come on and answer your post.

Awesome! We are neighbors! :)

Bearclaw
11-18-06, 11:44 PM
First of all, Welcome!
QFT. I lov ethis magazine. The December edition is excellent, ecspecially with the extra video game info on crysis, etc.

JoKeRr
11-19-06, 12:18 AM
as far as I can tell you, maybe it's better to get a Core 2 quad 6700, it'll be more future proof since budget is not a problem.

BigFoot NIC is pretty pointless right now, just use the onboard nForce NIC with gaming prioritization, and get a D-link gamer lounge router, you're set.

The PhysX thing is also quite pointless right now, but who knows. By the time when Unreal 3 is released, it might be a different story. Remember G80 also has a Quantum Physics layer built in, so you might actually want to wait out till the game comes out.

Wish I had your budget, I'd build a Core 2 Quad with 8800 SLI watercooled in a Stacker 830. If I won a lotto, I definitely would.

Xion X2
11-19-06, 12:44 AM
I have a budget of $3,800-$4,000 USD.

With that kind of budget, I have one word for you. K-e-n-t-s-f-i-e-l-d.

Don't bother w/ the X6800. Go with the Q6700.

I'm having trouble selecting a few things. And I have some questions about some new technologies out there, especially the PPU.

One answer: it's useless. At least as of right now. Don't go w/ a PPU yet; the future of this part is still very much up in the air.

I'm having a hard time deciding which memory I should purchase. Corsair, Crucial, OCZ, G. Skills?

Depends on which motherboard you're purchasing. If it's the eVGA 680i, well I'm running G.Skill just fine @ DDR2 1000mhz on 4-4-4-5 timings. And several others are running Corsair w/ success. But if you go with this eVGA board, make sure you have a DDR2 stick of memory on hand that is 800mhz or slower, otherwise you won't be able to boot it for the first time.

And which PSU I need to run this monster rig. I want a PSU that has individual outputs

What do you mean by "outputs?" Do you mean PCI-express connectors?

Any suggestions?

Silverstone ST85ZF, Silverstone Olympia, Zippy Emacs 850W, PCP&C 1000W series.

vandalous
11-19-06, 01:19 AM
Another thing on the memory, if you want full-on bling bling effect, get something that is "SLi-ready" so that it will show up in your 680i BIOS. ;)

As for magazine prefs, I rely on Computer Power User (http://www.cpumag.com) and MaximumPC (http://www.maximumpc.com) (Boot FTW!) for geek relief.

jesterekim
11-19-06, 06:55 PM
What do you mean by "outputs?" Do you mean PCI-express connectors?

I meant the individual cables that you can connect from the PSU, I just want the only cables I need to be connected.

And a question about Kentsfield, Is there a much difference between the Conroe other than the 2 extra cores? Will I see much improvement in gaming?

Thanks for your post, really helped. One more thing, I have no idea about memory timings and the speed. Can I put a 1000Mhz memory speed onto 680i? Can you please elaborate on that? Thanks.

jesterekim
11-19-06, 07:00 PM
I currently read the reviews for the Kentsfield. How come the Qx6800 still outperforms the quad core chip? Is it because the games don't take advantage of it?

Spartan 117
11-19-06, 07:05 PM
this is going to me my setup soon when I get my new mobo and QX6700

get the following and you should have a awsome computer

CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad Core QX6700
2 GPU's: any brand of the 8800 GTX, I have XFX
Mobo: ASUS Striker Extreme Nforce 680i
RAM: Muskin XP2 Redline DDR2 1000 PC2 8000
PSU: any choice, at least 850W or more, I have a Enermax Galaxy 1000W ready for quad CPU's and Quad SLI
Case: any case that fits your hardware and your taste
Sound: Creative X-FI (I have X-FI Platinum)
Cooling: if you plan on OC your rig, then water cooling is the way
Keyboard: logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard, looks cool at night cuz of blue lights
Neon is a must for rigs
and of course, your monitor that fits your needs and optical drives like DVD burner and such

and for your question

yes, most apps today don't take advantage of multiple cores, but thats soon to change with Vista, DX10, K8L on the Horizon

hirantha
11-19-06, 07:19 PM
it will be a good looking rig if you manage to put it to gether!!

Spartan 117
11-19-06, 07:29 PM
well, we can always help him out :)

Bearclaw
11-19-06, 07:55 PM
it will be a good looking rig if you manage to put it to gether!!
QFT. He will have one aweomse rig.

jesterekim
11-19-06, 08:30 PM
Thanks guys. I'm thinking if I should just wait till 2007 to build a new rig.... I know that I can't keep up with technology, but I just want to see whats coming next.

Nvidia puts out a new card every 10-12 months?

vandalous
11-19-06, 08:53 PM
CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad Core QX6700
2 GPU's: any brand of the 8800 GTX, I have XFX
Mobo: ASUS Striker Extreme Nforce 680i
RAM: Muskin XP2 Redline DDR2 1000 PC2 8000
PSU: any choice, at least 850W or more, I have a Enermax Galaxy 1000W ready for quad CPU's and Quad SLI
Case: any case that fits your hardware and your taste
Sound: Creative X-FI (I have X-FI Platinum)
Cooling: if you plan on OC your rig, then water cooling is the way
Keyboard: logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard, looks cool at night cuz of blue lights
Neon is a must for rigs
and of course, your monitor that fits your needs and optical drives like DVD burner and such

Why ASUS over the other 680i providers? Just curious...

vandalous
11-19-06, 08:55 PM
Thanks guys. I'm thinking if I should just wait till 2007 to build a new rig.... I know that I can't keep up with technology, but I just want to see whats coming next.

If you wait, most prices will go down so if you're not dying to upgrade, waiting is a decent option. It's about a 6-8 month tech lifecycle on vidcards. After the major release a couple weeks ago, the next upgrade will be minor, like the 7950 vs 7900 or some such. ATi hasn't released their DX10 product yet so you'll be the beneficiary of price wars once they do, not to mention the inevitable bundling and package deals that will arise from the duelling manufacturers.

hirantha
11-19-06, 09:16 PM

I think its ASUS reputation making people buy their products.. eVGA is still coming to the industry and people donít know about them that much.. Yet eVGA beat ASUS 680i board in benchmarks. thats what i think.

Spartan 117
11-19-06, 10:14 PM
its that ive always used ASUS mobos for the longest time and non have ever failed me, so that shows me thier mobos are good :)

ynnek
11-22-06, 10:26 AM
Something to consider.. If your buiding it now, I would consider leaving an empty partition on your HD for a near future Vista install, so you can flip between XP and Vista.

Spartan 117
11-22-06, 05:48 PM
yeah, a 500 gb HDD is like less then $200 I belive and split that in half for XP and Vista :)

a12ctic
11-22-06, 06:46 PM

ya im waiting for amd native quad core k8l, its gona destroy faces.

jesterekim
11-22-06, 08:50 PM
Yea maybe I should wait too, maybe for the next gen of NV 90's? :D I'm just fickle and I can't really decide which "brand" is best.

I'm mostly concerned about stablility. I don't think I'll do any overclocking, but the last computer I made NEVER once crashed on me, no BSOD or freezes in windows.

a12ctic
11-23-06, 11:16 AM
I would not go with asus, 2 of the 3 asus mobos ive owned have died within months of purchase.